Need some info...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some info...please help!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The 97 2.2 CL's stock sound system has built-in crossovers for the front speakers, right? If so, are they for the tweeters only? Or do the 6 1/2's use them as well? If this is true, then can we use these stock crossovers and just replace the tweeters and the 6 1/2's? I'm thinking of doing this because installing the crossover from an aftermarket component system might be a bit too difficult for me. Sorry for all the questions. Just need some info on this topic.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:02 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure about the 2.2 (I have a 3.0), but the "crossovers" are built into the tweeter only (not the 6.5" door speaker).

This is how I solved the aftermarket components dilemma on my 3.0:

I put in Infinity Reference speakers (I used 5.25" Door speakers because I didn't know if the 6.5" would be too deep). I mounted the 5.25" 's in the door, then dropped in the 1" tweeters into the dash (using the stock tweeter cover). I ran new speaker wire from the tweeters to the trunk. I used the original stock wiring from the door speakers.

I found where the original door speaker wire went into the stock amp (in the trunk) and cut them it into the crossover. I then took the new tweeter wires and connected them to the crossovers. I connected the wires from the crossovers to the amp, and viola!

If the 2.2 doesn't have a stock amp (which it probably doesn't) then you'd need to locate the wire connections on the rear of the head unit (which is pretty easy to remove). You should be able to tap into the stock wires, connect the stock wires to the crossover, then run a new wire from the crossover to the head unit.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, man! I appreciate all the info...

I'm quite convinced that 2.2 has built-in crossovers for the tweeters. Otherwise, they would've blown already from all the bass.

So I guess you didn't use the aftermarket crossover for the 5 1/4? If you did, were you able to hide the wires?

Thanks, again!
Old 05-06-2003, 12:51 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did use the aftermarket crossovers on both the Infinity 1" tweeters and the Infinity 5.25" door speakers. The new wiring from the tweeters hid nicely under the dash, under the door sills, under the rear seat, and into the trunk. I ran new wire because I was too lazy to tear out under the dash to find the stock wire that went to each tweeter! It was MUCH simpler just to run new wires!

Like I mentioned, I just used the stock wiring on the door speakers (that way I didn't need to run a new wire into that awfully small grommet in the door). I just soldered the wires onto the Infinity speakers, then went to the trunk, unplugged the harness from the stock amp, tapped into the existing wiring (for the door speaker), ran that wire to the aftermarket crossover (which is now mounted in the trunk), connected the new wiring from the tweeter to the aftermarket crossover, then ran a wire from the crossover to "out" connector of my new aftermarket amp. [Do this for each--left and right.]

The aftermarket crossovers, themselves, are hidden in the trunk (where the old stock amp used to be).