Need HELP Adjusting D2 Coilover Settings FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need HELP Adjusting D2 Coilover Settings FAST!

Alright, I did my best to search around the forums and a couple Google searches, but I havent found exactly what I need to know.

I've got a set of D2 Coilovers on my car. I've had them and my 225/40/18 wheels & tires on my car for about a good 2 months. BUT, I didnt have a camber kit on the car during that time. The car was dropped pretty nicely, with the fender just barely above the tire, in the front. Sooo, yesterday I finally had my camber kit installed and I think the fraction of a degree correction in camber has now caused some problems. On my way home from the car shop, I noticed and felt a thudding noise when I go over little bumps or dips in the road. Im guessing its either my shock or control arm hitting the frame of the car.. anyone agree? If not, can you suggest any other possible problems?

I dont have the time to be searching the internet and forum all day for answers, because I'm on a tight schedule. I'm about to move down to college on Monday and I'm running all around the house making sure that I'm not forgetting anything while packing. Theres no way in hell I'm riding on our bumpy highway going at such high speeds, with my car bottoming out!! I can already see my car blowing out a coilover or something. So I think I'm gonna try adjusting the stiffness, to make the car not as bouncy, and hopefully with less bouncing, it wont bottom out.

SOOO... What I need is some help from fellow members who have the D2 coilovers!

I was just under the hood and trunk, examining the top of the coilovers with that whole knob deal. The thing is, I'm not even close to a suspension expert, and I suck with the technical terms with the whole spring dampening ( __ kg and such) talk. So if someone could dumb down everything for me, that would be excellent.

So heres an example pic of the top of the D2 coilover...

There's that "needle" that slides down the middle of the coilover, but what exactly does it do, and do I use that to adjust the stiffness? I was able to slide it out, and do I just point the arrow to the raindrops and slide it back in? Or do I have to turn the needle a few times? I was reading on some other forums about turning something clockwise and counter-clockwise, but when that needle was down inside the coilover, it didnt seem like it was meant to be twisted around.

Argghh, this is so frustrating and I HATE how my bad luck always shows back up during a crucial time (Such as me moving out of my house and driving 120 miles of highway to college...)

If you need me to attempt to explain anything else about the coilover, the ride, or the car, then feel free to get more info out of me. If you need pics of my actual car, then I could even provide you with that, if theres a chance I can fix this problem. Ive just got too many things going through my mind right now, so I'm sure I left out some details that I need to include. But please help!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:46 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
errrr.... dont those come with adjustable shits so you wont need to use a camber kit?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the answer but i dont have d2 coilovers
Old 07-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Heh.... I got D2s but I think thats only to make the car softer or stiffer. I have it set to turned all the way soft. Also you can turn the needle a full 6 360 degree turns so I dont know if what your saying makes any sense.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:01 PM
O.G.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:02 PM
O.G.

lolz same problem....the control arm is hitting the frame...thats why you have to cut a little bit of the frame in the wheel well to let the arm move freely...
Old 07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
camber ftw