Is my fuel pump bad? car dies, wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my fuel pump bad? car dies, wont idle

I had posted a while back. I thought i had major issues with my car, but it turns out i only have an issue when the gas is lower in the tank. IF the gas is below half a tank, when i come to a stop the car dies. As the gas gets lower, if i get it down to around 1/4 of a tank it dies all the time when i stop and sometimes hesitate under acceleration. But if i fill it back up to full, i have not a single issue untill it gets below 1/2 a tank. GAs in the tank is all good, has been drained. Ive tried sea foam, and other multiple fuel treatments. Fuel pump was replaced about 1 year ago, filter was also done at this time, probably about 25k miles. No check engine light ever comes on, its really a weird problem, and i cant find anyone that has had a similiar issue. I almost think its almost like the little sock filter on the fuel pump, or the pickup for the fuel pump has an issue, and is cracked or something. I would just get a walbro and throw it in, but since i have to drop the tank i really donw want to do it, unless im sure thats it. I was going to do the fuel filter again but its only about 1 yr old, and i dont think its the filter cause again it only does it when the car is lower on gas. ANY ideas? im out of ideas hear. Thanks in advance, Chris
Old 09-03-2006, 08:47 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you need a stock pump let me know, i have one sitting next to me
Old 09-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the offer. Unfortunatly its not the money for me, as much as its the time. But i still like to do all the work to my car myself. If i end up dropping the tank, doing the fuel pump, and spend hours on it, and its not the fix i would be upset. If it does fix it, i wouldn't car. thanks, Chris
Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

well, it's already known that the stock pumps on these cars is pretty weak. my car always takes longer to start when its low on gas, but now that I have all kinds of ignition upgrades it's not as noticeable.

if it does it all the time at 1/4 tankthen it's definitely a fuel issue.

possiblyt clogged fuel filter? or injectors? or fuel pump like you said. try some fuel system cleaner, and if it doesn't improve after that then it's likely the fuel pump.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:08 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Do you drive a 2.2 or 3.0. Either ways. Disconnect the fuel line by the fuel rail. Have someone go and try to car. If fuel shoots out then you might want to go look somewhere else for the issue.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:39 PM
where is....

i heard that walbro isnt good for your car unless you're atleast mildly modified
Old 09-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SupraManAG
Do you drive a 2.2 or 3.0. Either ways. Disconnect the fuel line by the fuel rail. Have someone go and try to car. If fuel shoots out then you might want to go look somewhere else for the issue.
well, obviously it's supplying enough fuel when the tanks full so it will shoot out fuel, but it may just be dying, and need to be replaced.

If either you or the previous owner let the tank get empy all the time that can cause the fuel pump to burn out. I always try to fill up by the 1/4 mark to prevent any unecesarry wear. I'm getting a new fuel pump anwyays.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:39 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

dump a can of seafoam in your tank

jk i finally just read your post lol

why would a walbro hurt your car if it isnt modified? plus he could get te 195lph or w/e it is
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

Its not on the stock fuel pump. My fuel pump went bad about 1 yr ago, and right now it has a walbro 190 in it. the 190 lph is fine for our stock cars, but you wouldn't want a 255 on a stock car. My car is a 2.3. I have tried a bunch of different fuel system treatments. Sea foam being 1 of them, along with water removers, stp's crap ect. nothing has helped at all. I dont think it would be the injectors since it only does it when the gas tank is lower in gas. I also agree you should fill up the tank before it gets below a 1/4 but my car starts dieing around 1/2 tank. WHich is really annoying, if theres a red light im doing 45, come to a stop for the light, the car idle will just go to 0, and the car will die when i come to a complete stop. IF the gas tank was full it wouldn't do this, or under acceleration it doesn't do this, which really makes me think its something with the gas sloshing, or the pickup having a problem. All replies appreciated, the car is being frustrating.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You need to check the fuel pressure on your engine and compare to specs (40-47 psi ? not absolutely sure)

Fuel pressure may be low due to combination of fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Injectors are designed to work w/ a narrow range of fuel pressure; 40-47 psi on older 2.2L engines, probably same for yours. If fuel pressure is low, you have fuel delivery problem, either fuel filter, fuel inlet sock, or fuel pump. the sock is a simple screen on the pump suction inlet. If you have a lot of trash in the tank, this can get blocked enough to cause fuel delivery problems.

If fuel pressure is high (unlikely), you need a new fuel pressure regulator to reduce pressure.

good luck
Old 09-04-2006, 10:57 AM
h22

my old accord did the same thing and i replaced the pump and it worked fine
Old 09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You need to check the fuel pressure on your engine and compare to specs (40-47 psi ? not absolutely sure)

Fuel pressure may be low due to combination of fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Injectors are designed to work w/ a narrow range of fuel pressure; 40-47 psi on older 2.2L engines, probably same for yours. If fuel pressure is low, you have fuel delivery problem, either fuel filter, fuel inlet sock, or fuel pump. the sock is a simple screen on the pump suction inlet. If you have a lot of trash in the tank, this can get blocked enough to cause fuel delivery problems.

If fuel pressure is high (unlikely), you need a new fuel pressure regulator to reduce pressure.

good luck
This is hard for me to test as this happens while i am coming to a stop. When i am at idle, or accelerating the car runs fine. Which makes me think fuel pressure is fine while idle or accelerating, and only when stopping the problem arises. I may just do the pump. Its only 100 bucks, worth a shot, just dont want to invest the time, o well.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
if you just replaced the pump with a walbro about a year ago, i doubt thats an issue. BUT i've known walbros to be defective straight from the factory. quality control issue, since they don't test every pump that comes off the line. they just package it and you put it in your car. it will work fine under most condition but whenever it is at it's peak, it just won't push the pressure you need.

imo, fuel pressure test is a good bet. you can drop to like 25-30psi and have a normal idle. you can buy the gauge at any pepboys and just pop it in where ur FPR is and check it.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

I replaced the fuel pump. I went back to the guys i bought the walbro from the first time. Since ive delt with them alot in the past,t hey gave me another 1 to try, and told me if it worked, they would just warranty it out. Well good news is the car runs fine now. I looked over the pump, myself nor them could find anything wrong. O well, Thanks for all the input, Chris
Old 09-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Safety Car

so it was the pump after all. makes sense since it was only when the tank wasn't full enough.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

thanks again guys for the help. Car Is still running great. Stupid fuel pump.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

This post helped me out. Whoever is reading this, remember, an Acura is just a Honda. You can check those sites as well. But all teh issues my brother has had with his Accord eventually make their way into my CL so he kind of breaks teh wave for me. That Honda Accord post just solidifed my point. Happy driving all.