My car got F'ed up and now its makin some funny noises...any idea what it could be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car got F'ed up and now its makin some funny noises...any idea what it could be?

I was making a right turn, and must not have been going more than 15 mph around the bend, when i heard the most awful scraping noise ever...so i hit the brakes, and went to put the car in park, but as i did, i heard my gears grind so i left it in nuetral and put the e-brake on. When i went to look at what was wrong, my front passanger wheel had practically broken off! im not sure how this is possible, but it turns out the ball joint holding the whell to the A arm had shattered, and following that, the axel popped out of the tranny, and both boots on the axel cracked.
While waiting for the tow truck, i walked around, and found all the ball bearings on the ground, and i also found the part of the ball joint that had broken, it was the bolt connection, the bolt had just completely snapped apart like a twig..
Normally, the wheels on a car face straight forward, and are perpendicular to the bumper of the car, but the passanger side wheel had turned 90 degrees and was parallel to the bumper, and was stuck in the back half of the wheel well, and it had slid a slight bit under the car, and the upper part of the wheel was shoved right up against my fender, so its completely F'ed up.

We got the axel remanufactured, and a new ball joint, and put the car back together, but now wen i drive, i can totally tell that theres still soemthing wrong, cuz it takes a much longer time to brake, and sometimes, i herea noise, and it kinda sounds like something is slipping...perhaps the axel connection inside the tranny? or maybe the brakes...im not sure what it is, but it really doest sound to safe...any one have any idea what it could be?

PS Dont buy axels for first gen CLs from Autozone...the one they carry for the CL is the wrong size..when i bought and put that one in, it slipped out while my dad was testdriving the car, and we had to get it towed home again...friggin autozone
Old 09-18-2002, 01:21 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
note that anypart from autozone will skrew up

duh!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:15 PM
FOOL + MONEY = KEWL CL!

I had a 87 Horizon that did about the same thing you mentioned then after repair the axle shaft that goes from the tranny to the tire had busted off a tooth in the tranny, instead of fixing the tranny I junked the car. So after a bunch of new parts the car was wasted around 10k miles later due to tooth slippage.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:16 PM
FOOL + MONEY = KEWL CL!

I had a bad choice of words to describe what I was saying... just came back from a long run. but basically it may be a tooth on the tranny. or on the wheel side.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:02 PM
Instructor

any idea if that is fixable? or should i just try gettin rid of it and quit fixing it up...this blows...right when i was really starting to do stuff to it do, i had 18s picked out, was ging to order the lowering springs and shocks on friday....PHAAAAAAAACK!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Oh and also, i feel a considerable difference in braking, i have to push the brake a lot further before i feel the car slow, andwhen the slippin occurs, i can really feel it in the brake pedal itself...im sure thats not a good sign...