Minor Fender Bender - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:53 PM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Minor Fender Bender - Thoughts?

Mods - Not sure if I should post here... but since it involves my old cl....

Has anyone been in this situation, if you could help to give any advice.

The other night, I had a minor fender bender with the old cl. I turned at a bad angle and came much too close to the vehicle in front of me. I turned much too early and scraped the corner of the back bumper of a neon.

The damage appeared to be cosmetic only. Paint was scrapped off of both our bumpers. Fortunately, the girl was not upset and appeared as if she did not care as much. Since it was her mother's vehicle, I offered to pay for the damages if we settled it privately.

Thus, no police report was made...

I just received a call from her and she claims her first estimate with her usual body shop is $336.00 to paint an area roughly 8"x14". I should have pics later if she sends them. That sounds a bit high to me.

What are the legal issues here? If she turns around and becomes demanding, could she sue me? The only information that she has is my name, address and cell phone number.

I'm not saying that I will not pay for the damages, but if I'm going to pay for it... it should be according to the best estimates from different body shops.

What would you do? It was my stupid mistake, so I will take the consequences. Afterall, it is just money in the end. And there are more important things to worry about.

To add a few details... It didn't seem as if she had looked at my plates or wrote it down. There were no witnesses as this was very minor.

Thoughts? Sorry for the long post.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
what year and what color was the neon??? that could also play a factor in it...

edit.... the whole bumper would have to be repainted... you dont just paint parts of bumpers cause the paint would not blend properly with the rest of the bumper.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:14 PM
all stocker

Originally Posted by PimpCL23
what year and what color was the neon??? that could also play a factor in it...

edit.... the whole bumper would have to be repainted... you dont just paint parts of bumpers cause the paint would not blend properly with the rest of the bumper.
2003 Silver Neon. You can blend it in... it's not bad enough to warrant an entire repaint of the bumper.

If push comes to shove, can she sue me?

Perhaps I should have cared less and just give her my insurance info... my carrier offered accident protection/forgiveness. If I paid for that service, why not use it?

Or is it still bad to have it on record, even if the insurance won't penalize me.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
contrarian in fashion

Originally Posted by Acura Sensei
2003 Silver Neon. You can blend it in... it's not bad enough to warrant an entire repaint of the bumper.

If push comes to shove, can she sue me?

Perhaps I should have cared less and just give her my insurance info... my carrier offered accident protection/forgiveness. If I paid for that service, why not use it?

Or is it still bad to have it on record, even if the insurance won't penalize me.
Ive never seen a paint job where you can blend in a patch.... anyway...

Your insurance wont penalize you, in terms of insurance rates going up? really?? i want your insurance company!! i say... if it wont go against you then why the hell not! u wont have any $$ comin outta ur pocket, and wont have to worry about that girl and her mom's car ever again. its totally ur choice... but i'd do the insurance
Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM
all stocker

Originally Posted by PimpCL23
Ive never seen a paint job where you can blend in a patch.... anyway...

Your insurance wont penalize you, in terms of insurance rates going up? really?? i want your insurance company!! i say... if it wont go against you then why the hell not! u wont have any $$ comin outta ur pocket, and wont have to worry about that girl and her mom's car ever again. its totally ur choice... but i'd do the insurance
We were very pleased when Allstate had provided that option this year in NJ. It covers accidents and tickets! So our rates won't go up.

I just get funny about the insurance knowing about this minor incident, even if they won't penalize us.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
contrarian in fashion

We were very pleased when Allstate had provided that option this year in NJ. It covers accidents and tickets! So our rates won't go up.

I just get funny about the insurance knowing about this minor incident, even if they won't penalize us.
Just as long as ur insurance company doesnt come back and throw it in ur face and say "remember this shit foo!?!?!?!, so dont tell me i cant raise ur rates!" LOL!!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
2-smokinbarrels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucks dude ...

she can sue you if you do not pay. if you get pictures of the damage go to body shops and find out if that price is high
Old 10-20-2006, 04:49 PM
contrarian in fashion

Originally Posted by timmy451
sucks dude ...

she can sue you if you do not pay. if you get pictures of the damage go to body shops and find out if that price is high

oh and welcome to acurazine Timmy!!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Mods - Not sure if I should post here... but since it involves my old cl....

Has anyone been in this situation, if you could help to give any advice.

The other night, I had a minor fender bender with the old cl. I turned at a bad angle and came much too close to the vehicle in front of me. I turned much too early and scraped the corner of the back bumper of a neon.

The damage appeared to be cosmetic only. Paint was scrapped off of both our bumpers. Fortunately, the girl was not upset and appeared as if she did not care as much. Since it was her mother's vehicle, I offered to pay for the damages if we settled it privately.

Thus, no police report was made...

I just received a call from her and she claims her first estimate with her usual body shop is $336.00 to paint an area roughly 8"x14". I should have pics later if she sends them. That sounds a bit high to me.

What are the legal issues here? If she turns around and becomes demanding, could she sue me? The only information that she has is my name, address and cell phone number.

I'm not saying that I will not pay for the damages, but if I'm going to pay for it... it should be according to the best estimates from different body shops.

What would you do? It was my stupid mistake, so I will take the consequences. Afterall, it is just money in the end. And there are more important things to worry about.

To add a few details... It didn't seem as if she had looked at my plates or wrote it down. There were no witnesses as this was very minor.

Thoughts? Sorry for the long post.
I don't think she can do anything because she has no police report, it would be her word against yours,it all depends on you and what you have owned up to.If you do repair it you can request 3 estimates like anyone else/company would before paying for a repair.Also with that 3 estimates you can choose where to have it repaired.Good Luck (and do the right thing else ur Karma will catch up someday)
Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Just pay the 300, I got hit in a parking lot and there was no damage to my car but the paint tin the bumber scratched and it cost 360 to have it repaired. Or have her clainm it on her policy and pay her deducable. Carma comes back.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by knothd
I don't think she can do anything because she has no police report, it would be her word against yours,it all depends on you and what you have owned up to.If you do repair it you can request 3 estimates like anyone else/company would before paying for a repair.Also with that 3 estimates you can choose where to have it repaired.Good Luck (and do the right thing else ur Karma will catch up someday)
No police report, she cant do anything! You are not obligated to do anything.

I would def. get her taken care of though. Its not right to just dodge it. Call a few places on your own and find out how much it would cost to fix that area.

It would be in your best interest to find out who she is going to take it to and get a certified check made out to that place. That way she isnt just pocketing the money.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Doom dee doooooom

actually the fact that there was no police report filed does not mean that you can not be held liable. She can call the police, they will come and talk to you, and if your vehicle has damage that coincides with her story they can press the issue with you. I believe you can also get in trouble for failure to present your insurance, etc etc if she really wanted to be a jerk. some girl did that to one of my buddies back in high school. They agreed to pay privately and then when he didnt do exactly what she wanted she contacted the police and there was hell to pay. I have never ever heard of a place that will blend a spot on a bumper... it needs the whole thing repainted. Just sayin.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
just suck it up and pay the 300..

btw...was the girl hot or no
Old 10-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,045 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCL97
just suck it up and pay the 300..

btw...was the girl hot or no