Making a Vtec cluster light

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 03:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a Vtec cluster light

I want to make a Vtec light, so that when my vtec engages the light will shine.

I know i have to find the vtec controller or something like that in the engine compartment. That is the problem i have no idea where to look.

Help please

------------------
1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium
Custom Mesh Grill, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, Tinted License Plate cover, Hyper White Headlights, Hyper White Side Markers, Hyper White Blinkers, Hyper White Parking Lights, 3A Racing Fog Lights, Clear Bumper Lenses, Indiglo Acura Emblem, Indiglo Gauges, 2 15" neon tubes, Neon License Plate Frame in the trunk.
All very small mods. NO engine NO sound
Old 02-26-2001, 04:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe what you are looking for would be located in the ecu. I am not too sure where that is yet, I think it is below the glove compartment. I saw a post somewhere one time about how to do this, but it seems to have been deleted. Sorry

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:11 AM
Instructor

ok thanx. anyone know for sure what it is. even if i find it, what wire will i tap into.

------------------
1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium
Custom Mesh Grill, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, Tinted License Plate cover, Hyper White Headlights, Hyper White Side Markers, Hyper White Blinkers, Hyper White Parking Lights, 3A Racing Fog Lights, Clear Bumper Lenses, Indiglo Acura Emblem, Indiglo Gauges, 2 15" neon tubes, Neon License Plate Frame in the trunk.
All very small mods. NO engine NO sound
Old 02-26-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro

Get the ecu wiring diagram off www.apex-usa.com.... i think that's the site. It'll give you the pinout for the VTEC signal. As to what to do with the light? I dunno.

Can't feel the vtec huh? Me neither. Not a DOHC man . Just get the controller even though it's a waste of money.
Old 02-26-2001, 06:22 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Yeah i posted something alittle while ago about a VTEC light but never found the post that told you how to do it (the search function has been shut down on the site for some reason). Im pretty sure I remember reading about you need to find the ECU. There is a blank on your cluster by cruise control, i think, that you can use to place the light. Good luck with it.

------------------
'97 CL with custom scratches thanks to my mom's "wonderful" cats
Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced

I know I'm being a necro here but has anyone done this yet? I've look through out the forum and found nothing about it. I'm looking to do this myself but like a newb I cant find the dam ECU, is it on the right foot passenger side? If this has been done can someone direct me to the post as I can not find it. Thx.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 PM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by shags
I know I'm being a necro here but has anyone done this yet? I've look through out the forum and found nothing about it. I'm looking to do this myself but like a newb I cant find the dam ECU, is it on the right foot passenger side? If this has been done can someone direct me to the post as I can not find it. Thx.
its under the passenger side carpet. pull the carpet up and remove the screws and it should be there
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor

i want to see this. i am patiently waiting for the result with video.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Pro

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25
enjoy. hook it up at the vtec solenoid...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by shags
It's been done with abs light and check engine light
Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Instructor

this is a cool idea. also helps you to know if its working or not.. kinda like me, i am not sure. heh.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuratl_2nr
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25
enjoy. hook it up at the vtec solenoid...
Wow thx man thats perfect, what I was looking for. Got a pic without the black tape tho so I can see what wire you taped into, or can you tell me what wire. Thx again man.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Driver
this is a cool idea. also helps you to know if its working or not.. kinda like me, i am not sure. heh.
That's what my VAFC is for, tells me when my vtec engages, and I tell it when my vtec engages
Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Pro

theirs only one wire going to the VTEC solenoid... if you have a 2.2/2.3 it should be exactly the same, i'm not too sure about the 3.0...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Instructor

can someone post a vid with this ??? also, the VTEC wont work without a properly functioning VSS will it? i just took mine out yesterday.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
might be a dumb question (but of course theres no such thing as a stupid question, only...) but how do you truely know VTEC is actually engaging by a little LED< I mean itll tell you when the signal is going to the solenoid, but how do you know that the solenoid and all the mechanics of it are properly functioning....... if I know any better, the answer is no, you cant tell, but my dumbass just had to ask
Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Pro

theres no need for a video, the light comes when vtec engages, quite simple really...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by G22_Powered_YA1
might be a dumb question (but of course theres no such thing as a stupid question, only...) but how do you truely know VTEC is actually engaging by a little LED< I mean itll tell you when the signal is going to the solenoid, but how do you know that the solenoid and all the mechanics of it are properly functioning....... if I know any better, the answer is no, you cant tell, but my dumbass just had to ask
Well I would have agree, with my understanding the light will only shine when the ECU sends the single to the engine to activate the vtec. But since I have a 2.3 4Cyl OHC the vtec does not engage at a set RPM like the DOHC engines do. I know my vtec works since my car is not sluggish while accelerating, I just want to know when it does activate. I am also putting a kill switch for the light, prob going to mount it just under the dash so I can turn the light off because I can see it getting annoying in the long run. Thx for the help guys I can take some pics while I do it for a more detailed DIY but based on what I have read and seen its not hard at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Instructor

good luck shags, i am sure its not hard.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Well I just did it, was not hard after I found the vtec solenoid. Here's a better pic, not the same car tho I just found it on the net. The wire was green with a yellow stripe (not a black stripe like we see in the pic). I bought a pre-made LED from radio shack and it works perfectly. Thx for all the help guys.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Instructor

sweet
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah im about to do mine tonight, materials all cost me $4 ande some change, I can record DIY vid clips if you guys want, if not its just gonna be pics, or nothing at all if im really lazy..... itll be for a 2.2 F22..... and ill be using my secutiy system LED for the time being
Old 10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced

I was going to do one too, but it was so easy to do once I found the solenoid didn't really think it was necessary.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Instructor

i think you guys should post pics of the light set ups. i have a cool blue light that flashes when my alarm is on. but other than than, i dont have any ideas.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 AM
Burning Brakes

i think you guys should post pics of the light set ups. i have a cool blue light that flashes when my alarm is on. but other than than, i dont have any ideas.

dont bother......... I tried using mine that they put in the gauge cluster area (on the black panel thingy) and all I got was a solid light on when it was connected, car was off and everything, I mean WTF... ill try another LED, maybe that will fix it
Old 10-13-2007, 05:18 AM
The Hefty 2.2

I would think you would be able to hear it when vtec engages... There has to be some sort of sound change... I mean I know I have dohc... but I would think when Vtec is happenin... there is a change of how the motor actually runs... meaning louder and faster.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^there is, but I only really noticed it when I installed my SRI, the metal pipe made the difference, it gets noticably louder and the tone actually changes for me around 5 grand... DOHC VTECs are alot more noticable though, obviously, especially with older motors like H22s, the newer K series i-VTECs are a little too tame in comparison

either way you can tell before hand, the light is just a little gimmick to have fun with
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Instructor

maybe cause of the computer thats connected. i am not sure. like you said though, try anyother LED. i am sure it will work, others got it to. we are just thinking of using the alarm LED. obviously it wont work. let me know your outcome.

also, i know the VTEC wont work with the VSS not working/connected. but once i get a new VSS, is there a definate way to know when your VTEC kicks in? i am new to VTEC so i am not sure. people say it kicks in around 3500rpms or something. im thinking you can hear the engine a bit more that that rev limit or something?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Well I have been watching my light since yesterday and my Vtec kicks in at different ranges, not a set RPM. But I already knew that read it all over the place. Well some people say there is a way to check just simply unplug the Vtec solenoid and drive around, you should notice your car will be sluggish in the upper RPM range. There is no real sound difference for my car when it kicks in, and I do have a CIA. Everyone is right, it is just a little gimmicky thing but I'm a computer nerd, I love flashing lights it indicate something happens (I love networking so... should explain it ) If you really cant get it to work ill take some serious pics for ya. About using a pre-existing LED I did not try this so I have no clue. Let me know if you need further help.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Instructor

well, i think all i want to know is that if its working. i am still looking for a new speed sensor cause mine is going bad. i just want everything fixed on here. i am glad to be away from a 750 payment a month but almost getting sick of fixing things. yet, at the same time, its kinda fun. a little off topic, but i just ordered an ebay intake and i am wondering if that will effect my check engine light coming on. if it isnt right now, i am wondering with the changed air/fuel ratio if it will make it turn on and possibly screwing with my vtec or anything like that....???
Old 10-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced

No, this is my second F engine that I put an ebay cold air on and never got the CEL to come on. I would recommend just using the piping and getting a good filter tho.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

well, i think all i want to know is that if its working. i am still looking for a new speed sensor cause mine is going bad. i just want everything fixed on here. i am glad to be away from a 750 payment a month but almost getting sick of fixing things. yet, at the same time, its kinda fun. a little off topic, but i just ordered an ebay intake and i am wondering if that will effect my check engine light coming on. if it isnt right now, i am wondering with the changed air/fuel ratio if it will make it turn on and possibly screwing with my vtec or anything like that....???

no real worries, the intake has multiple sensors on it that detect how much air is getting in so that it can equal out the fuel injection to match, so your ratios more-or-less should be the same
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by G22_Powered_YA1
no real worries, the intake has multiple sensors on it that detect how much air is getting in so that it can equal out the fuel injection to match, so your ratios more-or-less should be the same

good to know. i always wondered about that.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I win

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have mine done. i have a little red led in one of the 2 screw holes on top of the instrument cluster
Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Found a wicked way to mount the Vtec light off a 5th gen forum. I think we already have a light there (this seems to be a civic) but its the "put your seatbelt on light" I am going to pop that one out and replace it with the vtec light.

http://home.earthlink.net/~civicex95/vteclight.html

Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Instructor

great idea!!!! so that light will never come on again? i never wear my seatbelt. sorry, but i dont. so your going to wire that into the light but change the words. good good idea
Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Well basically I am going to rip out the existing LED, not try to wire into it. Since I bought a pre-made LED (see bellow) the vtec light already works so I am just going to mount it in the space with super glue or something.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM
The Hefty 2.2

I mean... that light is kinda cool i guess... but it seems a bit cheesy... the green vtec light i mean... hahaha
Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those gauges look like they were printed from Microsoft Paint
Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Heh, yah well they aren't mine. And my light is going to be red, like the other dash lights. But regardless of the color or print used on the gauges the idea is great.

Quick Reply: Making a Vtec cluster light