Lighter/Power Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighter/Power Questions

Hey Everyone!!

I have a 97 CLP and the power to the lighter shuts off when I turn the car off. I am sure this is normal but I would like to be able to set it up so that the power stays on when I turn off the car. (this way I can leave my cell phone charging)

Can anyone help me with this? Can anyone suggest a good location for me to tap into a constant 12V power source, or how I can switch the current setup so I have constant power?

I just bought this car so i do not know the electronics that well. Anything you can suggest will be greatly appreciated!!

Bob
Old 08-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Turn Signals are good!

there is a constant power feed at the back of the radio that you can tap off from. poke around with a test light and you'll find it... i forgot which wire it is.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, Cool. Do you think that circuit has enough juice ? 1 more question since you brought up the radio. Do you know if you can add a CD changer (not the FM broadcast type) to the Stock Bose system in the CLP?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Turn Signals are good!

it has plenty to power a cell phone adapter.

you sure can add a changer without using the FM modulator route. There are the factory changers, which I dont recomend because of the ridiculous price. The better way to a changer is to get an Alpine M-bus (CHM-???? models) 6 disc changer, and get an adapter available at circuit city/best buy for $30 and the changer plugs right into the back of the stock Bose deck. The changer is then controlled by the normal buttons on the deck, one of the source select buttons has "tape, chg" printed above it, press that button to access the changer and the track/CD numbers will show up on the screen.

You can find an abundance of Alpine changers on eBay for great prices... some of them even have the adapter needed with it.

BTW- the Alpine changer also sounds better than the more expensive factory units.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:28 PM
Seminole Fan

Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL

BTW- the Alpine changer also sounds better than the more expensive factory units.
Just so that you know - the oem changers are Alpines. I don't how they would sound any better.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Cruisin'

Very Cool Guys!!

I already have a changer but do not know what make it is. I have a feeling it is a Panasonic or a Sony. A friend of mine gave it to me a year or so ago and I have not looked at it since!! There is a head unit as well but I would prefer to use the stock unit if I can. I will find out wednesday what the make is and I will let you know.!!

Just put this car on the road on Saturday so I have a lot to learn!!

Bob