How to Drain/Fill Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Drain/Fill Tranny

Can someone give me detail step by step on how to drain/fill honda atf, on a 2.2/2.3cl?

I just ordered a shitload of honda atf, and i'll send you a few bottles if you can give me detailed instructions with pictures. And for everyone else, i coulda sworn dustbuster4 had details but i can't find it. Is it bad to keep draining/filling? I just want to get the non atf out of there once and for all.

CLpower where are you?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some places disconnect the cooler lines and pump in new as the old comes out. Love those machines.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

pull the drain plug, then fill it thru the dipstick hole..im sure thats where you fill it on the 2.x remember to fill and check the fluid with the car not running.. remember NOT RUNNING. or you will over fill it.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wilp99
pull the drain plug, then fill it thru the dipstick hole..im sure thats where you fill it on the 2.x remember to fill and check the fluid with the car not running.. remember NOT RUNNING. or you will over fill it.
no - i think ur supposed to fill it thru a hole, theres a nut with a yellow mark on it
Old 06-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Ted
Burning Brakes

I don't think dustbuster4 ever made a DIY w/pics, perhaps you were thinking of installing the tranny cooler?

Anyway, there should be a bolt labeled "ATF" on the back side of the transmission, underneath the air tube. Make sure you remove this bolt first before you start to drain or else you'll have to fill through the dipstick.

To flush:
Drain the fluid
pour in about 3+ quarts
Drive 50 miles
Drain fluid
Pour in about 3+ quarts
Drive 50 miles
Drain fluid
Pour in about 3+ quarts and top it off.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Drive 50 miles? Yikes, I thought I could just drive around the block a few times. You sure it's not 5 miles? I guess I can't do it this weekend
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

If I have 1 drain/fill with valvoline, do you think I should still do it 3x, or maybe just twice? I haven't drove much since i got it done.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

im pretty sure the 2.x's dont have the fill plug.. thier dipstick has a big bottom on it bout 1" round and goes directly into the tranny, and not thru a tube.. i know on the 3.0's we have the plug and the tube.. however i could be wrong cause im basing my info on a 94 accord non vtec. so if im wrong my bad.

also you really dont have to go anywhere to get the fluid pushed thru the tranny. just go thru all the gears...park reverse neutral d4 d3 2 (which puts your car directly into 2nd gear, and will not downshift to 1st) then 1 which is obviously 1st gear. but seing that you just recently put fresh fluid in, just a drain and fill will be aiit.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm a llama :(

Yup, 2.x's don't have a fill plug. We just go in from the dipstick hole.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

im pretty sure the 2.x's dont have the fill plug.. thier dipstick has a big bottom on it bout 1" round and goes directly into the tranny, and not thru a tube.. i know on the 3.0's we have the plug and the tube.. however i could be wrong cause im basing my info on a 94 accord non vtec. so if im wrong my bad.

also you really dont have to go anywhere to get the fluid pushed thru the tranny. just go thru all the gears...park reverse neutral d4 d3 2 (which puts your car directly into 2nd gear, and will not downshift to 1st) then 1 which is obviously 1st gear. but seing that you just recently put fresh fluid in, just a drain and fill will be aiit.
Ya I never heard of driving 50 miles, I dont see the point...Just driving around the block a few times going through the gears from a stop 5-6 times, would circulate the fluid wouldn't it? If I were to drive 50 miles, it would be on the highway, and the tranny is staying in 4th gear?!

Also wilp, you think I should drain/fill once? I have 3 qts of non honda atf in there, would draining and filling once take most of it out? Im so confused
Old 06-10-2005, 01:31 AM

You have to do it like 3 times I think. Cause it holds so much fluid and you can only remove a little at a time.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Suzuka Master

I dont mind doing it 3 times, it just the driving 50 miles thing was kinda bugging me out. Is that really necessary? Doesn't the tranny fluid move just as much driving 5 miles, then 50 miles? I dont see what the difference is...
Old 06-10-2005, 01:35 AM

No, you don't have to drive 50 miles. Just go through all the gears a few times and you'll be set.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I was going to drive around town about 5 miles in between each time and make sure I hit some stop n go traffic.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

LEVEL CHECKING

NOTE: Check the fluid level with the engine at normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).

Park the vehicle on level ground. Turn off the engine.

Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) from the transmission, and wipe it with a clean cloth.
Insert the dipstick into the transmission.

Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. It should be between the upper and lower marks.
If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the filler hole to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda premium Formula Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) . If it is not available, you may use Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Drain the transmission and refill with Honda ATF as soon as it is convenient.
Insert the dipstick back into the transmission.

CHANGING Fluid

Bring the transmission up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on) by driving the vehicle. Park the vehicle on level ground, turn the engine off, and then remove the drain plug.

Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer, then refill the transmission to the upper mark on the dipstick.
Automatic Transmission Fluid Capacity: 2.4 ltr. (2.5 US qt.) at changing
6.0 ltr. (6.3 US qt.) at overhaul

Hope this helps...
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM

^^ Hey! Quit trying to jack my free ATF!

J/K

And don't forget to do it when it's cooled down or you'll never get that bolt off. And you could get burned.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

So you guys think I should bring it to the shop with the fluid, or do this at my friends house tommorow?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:19 PM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by r0dxx
So you guys think I should bring it to the shop with the fluid, or do this at my friends house tommorow?
do it at your friends house tomorrow

besides... the shop charges like 80 bucks to do it probably
Old 06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by legendaryCL98
do it at your friends house tomorrow

besides... the shop charges like 80 bucks to do it probably
that's funny I called the tranny place they said 80 bucks to do it 3 times, with me bringing the fluid. how did u kno lol
Old 06-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Alright it seems pretty easy, the driving around and refill through the dip stick with a funnel. Do I have to jack up the car?

Also do I have to replace washer every single time, or can I just put it on the last final drain/fill? And what size washer I need? Can anyone take a picture today of exactly what I need to remove, which bolt to drain it out? Sorry that diagram a little confusing.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

BAWB, by the way thanks for that informative post the diagram is a little hard to understand but i appreciate all the info. Let me know if you need any honda atf to do a drain/fill ill ship some out to ya!

And whoever else can help out with a nice picture of the bolt from 2.2/2.3...
Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Dude...dont refill through the dip stick. You know what a motor looks like, right? Well, take another look at your car. Look for your tranny. It is attached to the block. Now, somewhere on top of your tranny, by the block, there must be a big bolt that says ATF on it. You can't miss it. I'd tell you where it was, but I have the 3.0 I've done this plenty of times, easy job.

As for the driving around for 50 miles, if you want, you can have you car up on jack stands, and run it through all gears. That's what I do, but I wouldn't recommend it if this is your first time doing this.

I'll try and get my fried over with his 2.3 CL, and I'll look for the ATF bolt for you to refill from. Calling him as we speak.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Dude...dont refill through the dip stick. You know what a motor looks like, right? Well, take another look at your car. Look for your tranny. It is attached to the block. Now, somewhere on top of your tranny, by the block, there must be a big bolt that says ATF on it. You can't miss it. I'd tell you where it was, but I have the 3.0 I've done this plenty of times, easy job.

As for the driving around for 50 miles, if you want, you can have you car up on jack stands, and run it through all gears. That's what I do, but I wouldn't recommend it if this is your first time doing this.

I'll try and get my fried over with his 2.3 CL, and I'll look for the ATF bolt for you to refill from. Calling him as we speak.
ya plz lemme know!!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:43 AM

I was gonna take a pic of everything for you, but I don't have my camera.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Motohip
I was gonna take a pic of everything for you, but I don't have my camera.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Cruisin'

I can get Shannon to take a pic for you. Or I'll just do it myself maybe.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

yaaaaaaaaa doo it imma do it tommorow around 1230-1 i just wanna make sure I know what im doing.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Im not too familiar with this engine but by the looks of the diagram I would say the drain plug seems to be on the passenger side right behind the cv boot. If you look down towards your motor block between your intake, and your strut towers its fairly visible. What gave mine away was the aluminum crush washer :o
I am lazy today and didnt feel like taking the tire off just to snap a pic.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Does the fact that I have a tranny cooler affect anything in the procedure or no?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Ok, I hope you still need these and they are good enough to help. I know the quality sucks, but you can still make out what it is.

This one is the drain plug. Just use a socket wrench (I think that's the name). The drain plug is in the center of this pic. You don't need any attachments since it's just a square thing. The picture is take from the passanger side. You can see the drivers side wheel there.

This picture is taken from the front of the car, facing the back. You can see the large radiator hose on the left of the picture. The yellow dip stick is way down in there and it's in the center of the pic.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:21 PM

Oh, and the tranny cooler doesn't change the procedure or anything.

PS. You better still need these cause it costs me $2 to send these from my crappy phone.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

The 2.3 engine tranny has a pipe plug facing the right wheel. There is a washer on it. The washer should be changed at every drain but I reused it before with no problem. This transmission does get filled from the dipstick in the lower front of
the engine.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I want to thank everyone in this thread for helping, right or wrong answers it all helped

Moto, thank you very much for the pics, i already found it by the time i saw your post, but none the less good pics for future reference for anyone else who "searches".

BAWB, thank you for posting that diagram, made it real easy to find the drain plug.

I was surprised how easy it was, once we got the car jacked up and on stands the whole process took maybe 15-20 minutes. I drained and filled 3 times. I used a funnel to pour the ATF into the dip stick hole. I drove it around town for about 10 minutes each time, and went through all the gears when I got back to my friends garage about 5 times (1,2,3,4,n,r,p) up and down, up and down, etc. I hope that didn't wear anything out hehe. Then we waited about 25-30 minutes and did it again with the car still pretty hot.

I used a 7 quart tub i got at the store, and let it drain into that, then filled up milk jugs and the empty bottles, where do i put it lol?

The last drain i looked in the tub and I saw some kinda little things, It looked like metal shavings, i dont know what thats from?!?!?!?!?!? I hope its not bad...

All in all in only took a few hours, and with my good friends help it was pretty fun. I still have 4 qts, left over from the 12, so i used about 8 full quarts.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:03 PM

Good Job!

Oh and for anyone else, make sure you wear gloves. I had itchy hands for days cause of those metal shavings.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Motohip
Good Job!

Oh and for anyone else, make sure you wear gloves. I had itchy hands for days cause of those metal shavings.
What are those metal shavings? (had like an orangish tint), I only noticed them on the last drain/fill.

Ya I didnt wear gloves, it was kinda funny...My friend took the plug off the first time and his whole shirt got splashed with tranny fluid hahaha

I only drove it around for like 5-10 miles but I made sure I went through every gear a few times, does the tranny fluid circulate alot when you drive it?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

was there any metal shavings on the drain plug.. its magnetic, and collects most of the crap.. also did you wipe off the drain plug before you put it back in to get all the grey goo off.(which is actually metal but safe metal)

i thought there was a big ass hole where the dipstick went in. but like i said earlier that was on my friends 94 accord. glad to see you saved your self 80$.. its rediculous how much money you save by doin some things your self.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

was there any metal shavings on the drain plug.. its magnetic, and collects most of the crap.. also did you wipe off the drain plug before you put it back in to get all the grey goo off.(which is actually metal but safe metal)

i thought there was a big ass hole where the dipstick went in. but like i said earlier that was on my friends 94 accord. glad to see you saved your self 80$.. its rediculous how much money you save by doin some things your self.
ya saved alot of money...i didnt see any shavings on the drain plug, just saw it in the last drain and fill...what is that shit from?

I didnt see any grey goo on the drain plug it looked clean... where do i dispose all the old fluid? I got it sitting in my trunk still
Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Most auto parts stores recycle used fluids. I am lucky enough to have an uncle that uses used oil for his garage furnace, so he's always happy when I show up.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

A few more things...

I checked the fluid today started the car, ran for 3 minutes and turned it off and checked the fluid. It was right up to the last X on the X's.

BUT, I checked it after driving for like 15-20min, and it was over X's, like past the top X, is this ok?

Also I'm a little confused...I read this guys how-to on drain/fill and its a little different:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1173748

(It's a few posts down) But I didn't go through all the gears like he does, and I didn't go 20mph in reverse (thats crazy) I didnt even go in reverse at all except for back out of the driveway. I'm kinda concerned that I didnt circulate the fluid enough to get the old stuff out, maybe I just kept drain/filling BRAND NEW fluid.

And he says to do it 4 Times, should I do it another time? I only did it 3 times...Car seems to be shifting harsh...

Do you guys think I got most of the BAD NON HONDA fluid out? Or should I do it again in a few weeks? Or now?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that is a lot of trouble. I think I just pay my bro to do it... He can put it on the lift, and we can go through the gears without having to move the car. Up and down to jacks that many times would get old. I still like the filler machine. It puts new fluid in the cool side and takes old out of the warm side. Can be done in about 20 minutes from lift to touchdown.

Quick Reply: How to Drain/Fill Tranny