Help Me Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 10:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Please!

My tranny is going out, i think. I've not taken it to a shop yet but maybe you can verify what i think. Okay, every time i start the car up and it has been setting for over an hour or so the gears slip and it's the worst when it's cold. But, when it gets warmed up, everything is smooth as silk, it's just that first 10-15 minutes of gears slippin and that extra jump when you come to a stop that scares me. How much do trannys cost? I know i've heard lots of people gettitng trannys all the time on here so how much do they pay? If it's in the 3K range then i might consider doing what my buddy Hoffhines has done and do the 6spd tranny swap. I think it cost him like 5k and it was all worth it for him-12.7 is is time so i wanna get there too. So let me know what you think is wrong and what i would need to do and how much it may cost. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your tranny may well be shot, but check the fluid level to see if it's low. Also, make sure the car is well warmed up before driving. Driving while cold kills the tranny.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Your tranny is gone. Your problems sound like what mine was doing before I had it replaced. Just take your car to the dealer and see if it is under warranty. Mine was replaced under warranty at the dealer. My car had 69,000 miles on it. I am not sure how long the warranty is for the trannies?? Maybe 100K?? I'm really not for sure. I just know that Acura has extended it on some models. The service guy told me that if had paid for the new tranny, it would have costed about 4K!!!! I'm glad I didn't have to cough that up!!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:09 PM
AWD Torque Monster

whjat his swap is complete and he ran a 12.7???? if that is true he has the fastest cl on the board 1st and 2nd gen. i remember fastvtec fightin for the spot with a 13.5. however io do do think niedejb's trubo cl would post at least that on his 2.2.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

So what if it's not under warranty? How much am i gonna have to spend? What if i get a used one??? Oh and yes it's very true about hoffhines--i'm his eye witness (along with many others)at Thundervalley raceway here in Oklahoma. 12.7 . He's in DC I think right now working too had, he bought an RSX as an economy car and is keeping the cl as a race-way only car.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

replaced tranny 2 weeks ago

I have a '99 2.3 and my tranny was going out. Took it in for a flush and they said "replace it"

Acura paid for most of it even though my warranty had expired at 50K. My car had just under 69K when the tranny went out.

All in all I paid $780.00 for it and it was a $4,500 trans according to Acura. They said since i had a "stellar" service record they would pay 80% of the cost to replace it in order to retain me as a customer etc.

The new trans runs a lot smoother, but the RPMs seem different at 1-2 than the old one. Maybe I was just used to it shifting crappy.

Your dealer should work with you to pay most of this. I didn't even have to say anything. They offered right off the bat to pay for most of it.

This was in Plano Texas (Dallas area)

Any questions, let me know.

Good luck!

Erin
'99 2.3
Black/Black
69K miles
Old 01-23-2003, 02:53 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your tranny is about to go. I had the same exact problems before I replaced mine. It's a long story but I eventually got the dealer to replace it at no cost to me, even though I bought the car from a private party. At the dealer, everything would cost somewhere arounf 4K but if you go to someone that can give you a break on the labor, you might be able to get it for 3K.