Headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 10:12 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight questions

hey guys,
I'm almost 2 weeks into my 97 3.0 CL ownership and I love it ! ...
except for one thing. I don't seem to be the only one or there would not be a 'tutorial' about this issue, and this issue being
'clearing out your haedlights'.
What a pain in the ass, and I didn't even go the whole 'route'.
I just took one of the two headlight assemblies off and that was enough.

I got a could of 'cool blue' high intensity lights and thats better, but every time it rains my left front headlight is holding water. It's not so bad that it is literally holding it, bit it's foggy and drops of water on the inside of the lens.

Any of you who have done this knows that this is a pretty major assembly part.
two questions, well maybe three.
The face plate says Honda, not Acura. What am I looking at money wise to just replace the whole damn thing and be over trying to clear this out when it gets wet ?
I have looked teh net over and cannot find an aftermarket site to replace this whole assembly now that the seal is broken.

also, what I am considering is to find used Acura parts here in Atlanta and possibly a place where a CL has been totaled and has been 'parted' out and get a good set that way.
The right side is not as bad as the left but it's just such a pain with the bumper to get to either I might as well do both if I can find them and afford them.
any suggestions or sites ?

reb001
Old 01-27-2002, 02:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok...I'm kind of having a hard time understanding what you wrote. The CL headlights come clear with no yellow in them so I have no idea what clearing headlights your talking about. Second if you want to seal your headlights cause they are leaking just put some silicone glue around the seals of the lights. All acura parts say honda because honda makes acura. If you have to end up getting new headlights its going to cost you. They are not easy to come by used and they cost and arm and a leg at an acura dealer.
Sorry I can't be of more help .
Old 01-27-2002, 02:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dcsquirm88
Ok...I'm kind of having a hard time understanding what you wrote. The CL headlights come clear with no yellow in them so I have no idea what clearing headlights your talking about. Second if you want to seal your headlights cause they are leaking just put some silicone glue around the seals of the lights. All acura parts say honda because honda makes acura. If you have to end up getting new headlights its going to cost you. They are not easy to come by used and they cost and arm and a leg at an acura dealer.
Sorry I can't be of more help .
hehe that's why i haven't responded. Sorry reb0101, could you please rephrase..No offense btw..I just had a rough day and night so maybe it's just my mind
Old 01-27-2002, 03:16 AM
8th Gear

Headlight Clairifcation

sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.
My headlights aren't turning nor were they yellow, just getting moisture in them.
on teh first page when you come to this forum is a posting of how to get inside the clear casing to get the residue out that will result from them leaking and getting moisture in them.

It's a pain to do to say the least. They are sealed very well which makes you wonder how they can leak to begin with. And locating that leak in the silicone is difficult.

But to get inside them and really clean and polish the inside of the lens requires that you break the seal all the way around it which is begging for more gaps when you try and seal it back.
Not to mention the possibility of breaking the numerous plastic tabs.

This is why it would be great to just replace the whole damn assembly.
BUt as you have confirmed, and I feared, it will be very costly as it's a huge friggin unit with the bubble tube to correctly adjust the beams in it.
If I ran across one from a wrecked CL and could get it used it would be one thing.
Or, If I could find an 'aftermarket' one although I know nothing about the aftermarket market.

I can only imagine how much Honda would charge right out of the box.
I think I'll just live with the moisture and put the money towards some tires in the future.
Thanks guys for the help. you've pretty much confirmed that to get the mositure free lens will be lotsa $$$$
Old 01-27-2002, 09:01 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Welcome to the board

I took my lights apart to make black housings and the hardest part was removing the actually assembly from the car and it seems like you have already done that. To open the actually headlight just pop the light in the oven for like 5 minutes at 200 and than slowly pry the light apart with a flat head screw driver. Than when you are ready to put it back together just heat the pieces up alittle to get the original silicon sticky and then put a bead of silicon in the headlight and smush them back together. Then you might want to run a bead around the outside of the assembly too just to be sure you have a good tight seal. It sounds like you really dont need to go thru all that work though. If i were you i would just get a hairdryer and get all the moisture out of the light and then apply a bead of silicon around the outside of the light. That should solve your problem.