Head Gasket?......Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket?......Help!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. My mother-in-law borrowed my 99 CL 2.3 and the radiator went. She said she drove it for about 2 miles with the temp gauge at hot. Then 4 hours later some guy put water in it and told her she could drive it home, well it started running bad and stalled. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it. There is no antifreeze in the oil, and its not blowing white smoke. I replaced the radiator but I don't know for sure if it is the head gasket. When you start the car it runs fine when its cold but when the motor warms up if starts to miss and eventually stalls. I would really appreciate some help?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by ADCL
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. My mother-in-law borrowed my 99 CL 2.3 and the radiator went. She said she drove it for about 2 miles with the temp gauge at hot. Then 4 hours later some guy put water in it and told her she could drive it home, well it started running bad and stalled. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it. There is no antifreeze in the oil, and its not blowing white smoke. I replaced the radiator but I don't know for sure if it is the head gasket. When you start the car it runs fine when its cold but when the motor warms up if starts to miss and eventually stalls. I would really appreciate some help?
i dont think its your gasket..

probably your thermostat is out.. just replace that and it should be fine

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=heating

good luck
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Registered

welcome to the board

dont be afraid to use the search button before you post a thread :thumpsup:
Old 03-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm a llama :(

Does it leak? If it leaks oil and anti-freeze mixed, then it's the headgasket. It really doesn't sound like it's bad.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat, if your car's overheating. Hook it up to a diag machine. Could possibly be o2 too if your motor is missing.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Safety Car

or u could have hydro locked the engine. if ur radiator was leaking and went empty, theres air in the block. if u dont bleed the air out, the water will not circulate. try replacing your thermostat (cause its cheap) then leave your radiator cap off and let it run till the thermostat opens. it may overflow but thats ok let it. ull eventually see air bubbles come out from your radiator. if it doesent open turn off the car grab the bottom hose on the radiator and squeese it like ur pumpin a heart. (it may be hot) the air should come out then. once every thing is said and done, put your cap back on....start your car..your top hose should be hella hot (hot water comin in from engine) and your bottom hose should be just hot (cooled water comin from radiator). im pretty sure the 2.x's are closed systems so you dont have a bleed port on on the thermostat housing. someone please correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 PM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by wilp99
or u could have hydro locked the engine. if ur radiator was leaking and went empty, theres air in the block. if u dont bleed the air out, the water will not circulate. try replacing your thermostat (cause its cheap) then leave your radiator cap off and let it run till the thermostat opens. it may overflow but thats ok let it. ull eventually see air bubbles come out from your radiator. if it doesent open turn off the car grab the bottom hose on the radiator and squeese it like ur pumpin a heart. (it may be hot) the air should come out then. once every thing is said and done, put your cap back on....start your car..your top hose should be hella hot (hot water comin in from engine) and your bottom hose should be just hot (cooled water comin from radiator). im pretty sure the 2.x's are closed systems so you dont have a bleed port on on the thermostat housing. someone please correct me if im wrong.
dang.. i didnt know this was a possibility.. till just now.. haha

awesome advice!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll try your ideas this weekend. Hopefully something will work.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Try taking out one of your spark plugs and looking at the top of your pistons with a flashlight to see if any fluid is there. Sometimes when your headgasket goes, the anitfreeze will leak out onto the top of your pistons and it will burn, with no visible leaks.