Got pull over for illegal Mod....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got pull over for illegal Mod....

Yesterday I want to get a smoothie from cold stone in Culver City. So, I drop my friend off and help me to get it. I saw a police car at my back and I am in the passenger loading zone. So, I drove off slowly, and try to go around a block to pick up my friend. the police follow me and so I drive slowly at around 30~35 on the gauge. Finally, he lights up and I stopped. The police ask me why am I doing so fast??? Huh....? I said I saw you at the back and there is no way that I would go fast right? He said, yes he wonder that too, it turn out to be that particular street I turn into limit is 15 only.... But the guy was cool, he didn't gave me ticket for that... Because I have no idea that one is 15 only....

So, he go on and say I am going to stop you anyway for your illegal mod for the muffler. I have a Apexi N1 at the back but I got a silencer so it wasn't loud at all. But for sure this guy must know something about Honda anyway. So, I went on and start to play dumb. I said, why is it illegal? I did it in a muffler shop. He ask, do you have a sticker for that? I answer him, um, what sticker? Registration sticker? He said, you looks confuse. I said, Yes I am confuse. He ask, where did I get it done. I said somewhere in Glendale, near where I work. He ask me why do I change my muffler? I said, the old one has a hole on it. He ask what brand is your muffler, I said, I don't remember the name, but it is not too cheap. Finally, the cop ask me to pop the hood and take a look. So I pop and he saw that I have modded the intake also. But it was a Akimoto old one and it has a sticker on it.... (Yeah....!) and he also look at the DC sport header and find the sticker on it too. He was shock and he said You are the first one I pull over ever got legal sticker on their mod..... (But actually, I am not sure about the muffler, because I think that sticker is only for the header.....) He actually start talking about how people still these engine for Civic, and so and so..... he finally let me go. I guess I was lucky... that he didn't give me ticket for the 15 speed limit....

But I got a question about that muffler, will I be able to pass the smog test??? I am still using the original cat, and I replaced the resonator to a shorter one, because the original has got a hole on it. I need to get my smog done soon too, because my registration is up....!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch, living in cali must suck when it comes to smog and illegal mods.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:40 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should be okay for emissions.

as far as the ticket goes... maybe you can speak to a mechanic (your own mechanic)

and get them to give you a fix-it receipt (as if they changed the muffler back to stock).

bring the fix-it receipt to the PD and maybe you could get off.

good luck,
Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
The sticker he was referring to, was pretty much paperwork stating that your muffler is not louder than 95 decibals (or was it 94?). Whatever the states allows a muffler to be no louder than, is what you have to prove to court that your car can pass. If you go and take your car to have that decibal test, and pass, keep it on you, making it street legal.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
CLS-6

As long as you have a CAT you should pass no problem. I dont think they make a sticker for the mufflers, Its more of a sound restriction that they will ticket for on mufflers, the cat is for your emissions.

In fact I had to go to a Cali Smog Ref. (worse kind of fix it ticket) and they didnt say sh!z about the Muffler. But yes they checked books to verify the numbers matched on the CARB e.o.

Good Luck
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys never read what i post huh....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183709
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
fook the cops
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 AM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
well..
u can do one of 2 things... go to the state ref and have them decibel test it to give u a certificate which they MIGHT consider at teh court... or replace the muff.

when recieve a ticket for a muffler... the sherriffs are gonna do a visual test as well as auditory (they wont have a meter.. theyll stand there and decide for themselves if they should write it off or not)

post pics of ur car! ur a 1st gen i havent seen yet around LA
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Why did you need to pop your hood? Dont they need a warrent or something to search your car etc...?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hershey831
Why did you need to pop your hood? Dont they need a warrent or something to search your car etc...?

Yes, once you wave your rights though, they can pretty muich do anything...should've just said you don't consent to searches, he can't legally do anything, btu he'd try to make you feel like he's gonna bust you, and that's how they get you to consent.

This is a must see for everyone that encounters a police stop and what to do to flex your rights, especially if you smoke bud, it's very very helpful and has gotten me out of a situation more than once:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Actually, the guy didn't write me a ticket for that muffler. I guess it really wasn't that loud. I keep my foot light when every time I see cop on my back. But he pull me over anyway for the size of that things.... I think he is jealous....

For my car pic, I need to wash it first. Or you can see it in Santa Monica and most of the time you will see my gf driving (Even tough car like Honda will die too)
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
1. Wash that shit

2. Take pics

3. post that shit