GOOD NEWS for type-S cams....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 05:39 PM
112K and on 1st tranny!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOD NEWS for type-S cams....

I found a local machine shop that is ready and willing to machine the cam for me/us. I checked out the shop and all their equipment looks nice and pretty like it's all new and the co-owner showed me some work he did on some pistons for a car he races.

They havent quoted me a price yet b/c they want to see the exact camshaft from my engine that needs to be machined. He told me no way would it be near 200 bucks, so Im kinda hopin it's easy for them and its near 100 bucks.

The problem I have encountered is that all junkyards and used car parts places in charlotte refuse to sell sets of camshafts or just one. they want me to buy the whole head or engine.

I called honda dealer and rear cam is 190 and acura dealer told me 221. I might try to pop up to acura dealer in my old VW dealer polo to see if I can still get my 25 percent off I used to get for being an associate dealer employee.

So, my proposition is: Does anyone happen to know of anyone who has a rear cam available to ship to me? Of course I would pay for it, or you could loan it to me if you want your cam machined too. I just dont want to fork out close to 200 bucks for the new cam from honda.

After I get the rear cam for our engine in, I already have the type S cams and I am willing to go to the machine shop and use my cam for the "prototype" in case someone else is interested in getting this done as well.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:47 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Shit, let me know how much....but whatz a rear cam? I actually never heard of it at all. But let me know how much you can get the type S cams machined and shipped to cali.

After you let me know what the heck the rear cam is, i'll think about it as well.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I recall, only one of the Type 'S' cams needs to be machined (the rear cam).

What is a rear cam? He's referring to the cam that's in the rear valve train. Since our engines are tranversely mounted, there's a front cam and a rear cam (instead of a right and left cam).

Check out www.acuraautomotiveparts.org for the cams, etc. Their prices should be cheaper than the dealer (if you don't get a donor).

I've had a set of Type 'S' cams for about 2 years sittin' in my basement. I'd like to get them machined and installed, but I'm waiting to see how it goes for other people before I crack open my 42K mile engine.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I've been running the CL-S cams with my supercharger for a couple of months now. As other J30A1 people (mainly Accords) have noticed, the kick into Vtec is noticeably strong, there is no mistaking that vtec has engaged!

I got the cams hoping to improve the low-end significantly. I don't know what it is, maybe our 4-speed gearing, but at light to medium throttle I didn't feel significant torque gains. My cousin has a CL Type-S so I know how that feels.

Do I regret doing this mod? Absolutely not. After further investigation, I discovered the CL-TypeS intake & exhaust valves are larger than our J30A1. So that , as well as the CLS manifold, helps it to breathe better than our engine. So if you are expecting torque feeling like that of the CL-S just by swapping cams, you can forget about it.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dustbuster4
From what I recall, only one of the Type 'S' cams needs to be machined (the rear cam).

What is a rear cam? He's referring to the cam that's in the rear valve train. Since our engines are tranversely mounted, there's a front cam and a rear cam (instead of a right and left cam).

Check out www.acuraautomotiveparts.org for the cams, etc. Their prices should be cheaper than the dealer (if you don't get a donor).

I've had a set of Type 'S' cams for about 2 years sittin' in my basement. I'd like to get them machined and installed, but I'm waiting to see how it goes for other people before I crack open my 42K mile engine.

Rick: you dropped that engine in the car you should have an extra from the old engine, y not use it and send it to dre and then maybe if they use yours you can get a deal for it

lets see how much this will cost i might just toss some money now for a new set to get mine done too
Old 03-18-2004, 11:15 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

The problem is that the engine is up in PA, and it would be a considerable task getting there, and tearing it apart. I couldn't see myself getting up there for at least a month!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:23 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Let me see if I can talk my Uncle into it. He only lives about 30-40 minutes from the shop.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:09 AM
112K and on 1st tranny!

dustbuster if you donate your rear cam ill have your cam machined and ship both the type-s cam and your old rear cam back to you for 75 total.

see if you can get your uncle to get the cam outta your old engine, b/c it will save me almost 200 bucks and will bump up this process about 2 weeks, since the money i was gonna use this weekend to buy a cam would be used to machine the type-s cam now.

and anyways, we will both have extra cams after this is done as well, to let someone else use/buy for future type-s swaps.

Rick, My girls' best friend's dad (wow that sounds funny), owns a performance place 45 minutes from my house and i gave him a list if certain items i want for my car. he said he would hook me up real good b/c he wants to see me hook my car up before he moves to orlando in july.

i asked about:

apexi VAFC gen 2
UR SS pulley set
type-S cam gear
Greddy SP2 catback

if you want in, ill see if he can squeak me out 2 for the same deal, since you'd be a big helper with that extra cam!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a pulley kit finally Rick and get a vafc controller, i know it will help out the 3.0, trust me from experience with out tuning the vafc you still see some power but oh man when its tuned with all your other mods you talking about 20+ hp form a vafc they say
Old 03-19-2004, 08:17 AM
who got the best deal?

dre why not just take it out from your engine? you said its gonna be less than 200 and you are willing to pay that, and either way you have to take it out to install the new cam.