Good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 01:47 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good buy?

Hey, this is probably the most biased place I could ask this... but I'll give it a shot anyway. Right now I drive a '97 Mazda 626, which I absolutely hate. It was my first car, but I definetly regret the decision and the past three years with it have been torture. Anyway, I'm finally getting something new and I've got my eyes on either a '97 or '98 CL 3.0 (probably a '98, but it's more a question of finding an affordable one than what I want). I'm also looking at Maximas (since I could afford a newer one with similiar features) and Preludes.

So, here's my question - are most of you happy with your cars? Would you recommend a first generation CL for someone looking for something semi-luxurious, but a bit sporty? I love the car's styling, but I've yet to take a test drive (hopefully this week I'll get a chance). I've already test driven a Maxima, and I have to admit it's one hell of a fun car. Regardless, I'm still pretty interested in a CL - if only because it's a lot more distinctive than a Maxima. So, assuming I get some good recommendations here I'll probably be purchasing one within the next three weeks.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would definitely recommend the CL. (bias opinion you were expecting) Its a great looking car that has some nice luxury features. On the other hand if your looking more for speed than luxury I would go with the prelude. There’s allot of aftermarket parts available for it. Either way you put it go Honda.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Drifting

I love my CL...............I hope this doesn't scare you but I think this link might help you out.....

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...highlight=Hate
Old 01-24-2002, 02:11 PM
An Official Cl Whore

Yea I love my Cl too! It is very distinctive in styling, yet a lot more rare than the maxima. The styling is very timeless on the Cl's, where I find the Maxima's a lot more boring. My friend has a 99 Maxima and is a very solid car, only minor repairs etc... They are very fun to drive and I feel have better suspension and surely better steering. But the cl can get you there just as fast, and has more luxury features, and of course better styling.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Cause stock sux.

The CL is a sweet ride. Its not a car you'll see on the road everyday (unless you own one ). Not as fast as some cars (15.6 stock for the 3.0), but it makes that up with luxury. And it is definitely a very fun car to drive. For sure check the CL's out before you make your decision.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Ham Sandwich

i used to own one and crashed it.. but if insurance gave me enough money i'd prolly buy another one.. instead i gotta right hand drive civic SiR ferio
Old 01-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Racer

yeah...i like my CL but its underpowered.

go for a 5-speed maxima......

my buddy got a 99 5-spd with vortech blower.......its fast
Old 01-24-2002, 04:24 PM
No Too Fast, No Too Slow.

I'll tell u what.....I love my cl.....I wouldn't change it for anything else. But it's up to you ....my friend has a prelude and my other friend has an accord I like them but, the prelude is too compact, no space but fast as hell. Accord I don't know, not a big fan of them, but u r not looking for one so hell with it.... Whatever you get just keep in touch with us....and let us know what you get....
Old 01-24-2002, 04:26 PM
No Too Fast, No Too Slow.

I don't like the way the prelude drive, I don't feel confortable. The maxima I don't really know cuz I've never driven one.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:11 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like my 3.0CL! Definitely enough power, and a bit of luxury to match!

With a few mods, the 3.0CL can really run!

I live right next to an Acura dealer, so I see CL's all the time, but I still feel that we own one of the more unique cars on the road!

Good luck with your decision, but you can't go with with a Honda product!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i do like my CL......... the design is unique.. esp in the rear.
it's a good quality car IM. people on this forum have them over 100k and no major problems. i would reccomend it.

i have had two other cars besides the CL

1999 Nissan Altima - nice, good for commute. (crashed that one)

1997 Nissan Pathfinder - fun as you wouldnt believe in the snow and mud. gas costs a fortune tho. underpwered for the size engine it has. (crashed that one too)

after realizing that i have bad luck with nissan, i got the CL instead of the 300zx

1997 Acura CL - love the way the rear looks. lots of features for the money, good reliability. smooth tranny. nice group of people to talk with about the car. (got one speeding ticket in it so far)
Old 01-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
The only other car I seriously considered before buying my CL was the Prelude Type-SH. Both cars cost about the same, both have Honda reliability, both perform (0-60, 1/4 mile, skidpad) just about the same.

In the end it was probably the dealer experience that made me go with the CL, and I haven't regretted it. The CL is more luxurious, has a nicer interior, better stereo, etc. The back seat is more usable and I have enjoyed the continued Acura customer service. I still like the looks of the Prelude (and the Type-SH is rarer on the road than a CL!), too.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Good buy?

Originally posted by Paradoxish
Hey, this is probably the most biased place I could ask this... but I'll give it a shot anyway. Right now I drive a '97 Mazda 626, which I absolutely hate. It was my first car, but I definetly regret the decision and the past three years with it have been torture. Anyway, I'm finally getting something new and I've got my eyes on either a '97 or '98 CL 3.0 (probably a '98, but it's more a question of finding an affordable one than what I want). I'm also looking at Maximas (since I could afford a newer one with similiar features) and Preludes.

So, here's my question - are most of you happy with your cars? Would you recommend a first generation CL for someone looking for something semi-luxurious, but a bit sporty? I love the car's styling, but I've yet to take a test drive (hopefully this week I'll get a chance). I've already test driven a Maxima, and I have to admit it's one hell of a fun car. Regardless, I'm still pretty interested in a CL - if only because it's a lot more distinctive than a Maxima. So, assuming I get some good recommendations here I'll probably be purchasing one within the next three weeks.
I used to have 95 SE max 5 speed ........... yeah is fast car , heavy also !!!
Other thing i CAN NOT find anything for that car performance wise
and if you do its really expensive .........
Then it game few problems with engine overheating , talked to other max owners they weren’t happy with durability of it !
it all comes down to if you wanna habe 3.0 with stick or 3.0 without stick
and honda-acura keep there value a LOOOOOOOT better than nissans
Old 01-25-2002, 09:49 AM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
goldiealek you don't know what your talking about. and your an idiot from russia anyway!!!HEHE
J/K Bro, Wats up? where u bin?
anyway Acura/honda's last 4ever...with A LOT of Abuse --trust me!! I feel bad sometimes cause' i drive the crap outa my car and it seems to like it..i do perform maintenance like supposed to, so that helps, but i suspect the engine will last forever!!!!
Old 01-25-2002, 10:14 AM
5th Gear

Cool. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to be stopping by some used car dealerships and Acura dealerships next week and the week after that to check prices and see what's available. I got a chance to drive a '98 Prelude the other day and damn that car is fast. Nice handling too, although I wasn't really that impressed with the ride or the features. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out a CL very soon. And, other than the lack of aftermarket parts, there isn't that much stopping me from getting one.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by swclown
goldiealek you don't know what your talking about. and your an idiot from russia anyway!!!HEHE
J/K Bro, Wats up? where u bin?
anyway Acura/honda's last 4ever...with A LOT of Abuse --trust me!! I feel bad sometimes cause' i drive the crap outa my car and it seems to like it..i do perform maintenance like supposed to, so that helps, but i suspect the engine will last forever!!!!
what an ass

sike i cool dude ill pm you sometime PE@CE
Old 01-26-2002, 05:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cool. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to be stopping by some used car dealerships and Acura dealerships next week and the week after that to check prices and see what's available. I got a chance to drive a '98 Prelude the other day and damn that car is fast. Nice handling too, although I wasn't really that impressed with the ride or the features. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out a CL very soon. And, other than the lack of aftermarket parts, there isn't that much stopping me from getting one.
if I were looking for something right now with the same luxury/sport combination, I'd consider an older SC 400, 95-96 you can find a clean one for the same price as a 98 3.0
Old 01-26-2002, 06:53 AM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

see this thread http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=59380

Another bad tranny
Old 01-26-2002, 03:12 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by lowpost

if I were looking for something right now with the same luxury/sport combination, I'd consider an older SC 400, 95-96 you can find a clean one for the same price as a 98 3.0
Funny you should mention that. I was at a dealership the other day and they had a '95 SC400 on the lot for $11,000. I was pretty impressed, although not so much with the exterior styling as I am with the CL. I didn't get a chance to give the Lexus a really good look, though. Anyone here had any actual experience with one? I'd be especially worried about reliability, though. I know it's a Lexus and all, but if I got a '94 or '95 (I'm willing to bet I couldn't afford a '96) it'd have upwards of 80k-100k on it.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:32 PM
Cause stock sux.

Funny you should mention that. I was at a dealership the other day and they had a '95 SC400 on the lot for $11,000. I was pretty impressed, although not so much with the exterior styling as I am with the CL. I didn't get a chance to give the Lexus a really good look, though. Anyone here had any actual experience with one?
My rents have a '94 SC400. Thing is freakin awesome. 300 HP quad cam v8 . Handling is unbelieveable. Only thing I don't like about it is that its so small compared to the CL. Feels like I'm trapped in the car. But man, thing will take you up to 100 in no time. Not bad for an auto. I think the sticker price was around 55-60K when we first bought it. If you can find it for 11K used, thats awesome cause its a great car.