First EVER! Acura CL Carbon Fiber Hood...PICTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, since no one likes to respond to PM's anymore....I'll just ask in here...

Can someone post up a writeup w/ picts on how to fix the grille so it can fit into the hood? I'd like to go ahead and start on modifying it so that when I get my hood, the grille will already to ready to fit.

Also, the only other issue we were going to have was using the OEM hood "shocks" to hold up the hood. So no their too powerful, so what is the solution for that? What do people plan to use now to keep the CF hood up??
Old 11-07-2005, 12:34 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL

Can someone post up a writeup w/ picts on how to fix the grille so it can fit into the hood? I'd like to go ahead and start on modifying it so that when I get my hood, the grille will already to ready to fit.

Also, the only other issue we were going to have was using the OEM hood "shocks" to hold up the hood. So no their too powerful, so what is the solution for that? What do people plan to use now to keep the CF hood up??
I guess those hooks up front that you prop a hood up with Or lighter springs...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
The new ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL

im pretty sure its the plastic grill bracket on the CF hood that needs to be modified.. not the grill itself
Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM

ohhhh...Hey Recycle...you think u could post up some picts of how/what you did to make it fit?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

^ yeah i'll get to that right away after some college stuff.. i just found out i forgot to do the last page on my chem midterm doh!

you won't be able to use your stock dampers, too much pressure. i've been told that peopl ehave purchased self-locking stands (sorta like those on the ping pong tables). these can prop the hood up without worrying about hood sticks or whatever. right now, i'm using a mini hammer to hold it up lol. as for modifying, i'm pretty sure VIS will correct the problem, but if they dont, you guys can refer to the DIY i will make later. it involves some sanding to make sure the thread-body sticks out enough so that you can screw on the cap.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:25 PM

does anyone know where we could get some dampers that would bolt to where the OEM ones are now....just dampers that woudnt be so powerful?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

^ dampers + CF hood is bad period. just get some of the self-locking things or use a stick
Old 11-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Do you have any day pics?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
Do you have any day pics?
3rd page

Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

2nd hood has been shipped out! The BOX is humongous, I had to buy a bigger box for the hood so it wouldn't get damaged. Hood has been shipped to CJ (Acura3.0CL). I will ship out the hoods as they arrive. Hopefully some more arrive next week! Be on the lookout for pictures from CJ!!!

NOTE: I have 4 hoods left, pre-order yours now!

Please PM me to order, state your zipcode, and if it's shipping to a business or residentital (residential $30 more)

$460 + shipping.

Money order preferred. Thanks.

Cell: 951.454.8081

AIM: itzcarlooo

* just to let everyone know, these hoods will be sold for well over $500-600 + shipping once VIS starts to sell them to other retailers.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Hey Thanks Carlo! Yep, its true...hood #2 is on its way to Kansas right now. (If any of you are courious, since im the first to have had it shipped. Shipping from Cali to Kansas (66213) to a business location was $115. (Residential address shipping would of been +$30 xtra)

But anyway, I know a lot of you have been wanting to see what the CF hood is going to look like on a Black CL. Well, you'll now get your chance. The hood is scheduled to arive Wed. the 16th...buuttttt since im @ work & school till 6pm...I'll prob. wont be able to get it installed until Thurs....and depending on how long they will need my car, I might not get it back until Friday evening. (yes, the bodyshop will be doing a few other things besides just throwing on the hood.....and NO...your not going to find out what they are just yet. In all honesty, I woudnt be able to get my car to the bodyshop until 2pm on Thur. & Depending on how long it takes for paint the parts......

Oh hell...whatever....I just post up picts that weekend. So 1 week from tomorrow. The 18th, 19th & 20th...I'll have picts up then...(weather depending for photoshoot)

Man im soo excited. Ive lived with a busted up hood for almost 2 yrs now, with no grille and the hood dosnt line up with the fenders. Since then, no one has seen pictures of my CL. Its about to drastically change apperance...i hope.. I still dont know if some parts will fit, and I wish I had rims....Im back to the ole' stock 16s now.

But anyway, get ready for picts!
-CJ
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 PM
CL 4 LYFE

im like #50 on the list

dont really matter too much, im just going to make a table out of it for the time being..
Old 11-11-2005, 01:16 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by itzcarlooo
2nd hood has been shipped out! The BOX is humongous, I had to buy a bigger box for the hood so it wouldn't get damaged. Hood has been shipped to CJ (Acura3.0CL). I will ship out the hoods as they arrive. Hopefully some more arrive next week! Be on the lookout for pictures from CJ!!!

NOTE: I have 4 hoods left, pre-order yours now!

Please PM me to order, state your zipcode, and if it's shipping to a business or residentital (residential $30 more)

$460 + shipping.

Money order preferred. Thanks.

Cell: 951.454.8081

AIM: itzcarlooo

* just to let everyone know, these hoods will be sold for well over $500-600 + shipping once VIS starts to sell them to other retailers.

congrats CJ. Hey Carloo, wanna ship #3 to me? I mean, I was only #1 on the initial order list
Old 11-11-2005, 01:35 PM
you ghey dawg!

hey carloo, can you post the list of people who payed for them??
Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
that looks horrible, but you get what you pay for
Old 11-14-2005, 03:39 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by CLpower
? you arent talking about the hood, are you?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by agranado
? you arent talking about the hood, are you?
yes, yes I am The quality looks like crap, but then again, what do you expect when you are getting a carbon fiber hood for $500. Looks like all the other shit hoods i've seen on tegs, etc. Just make sure ot take care of it so it doesn't oxidize to complete shit in a few months like most do
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

you are telling me, this looks good to you?

but hey, for $369
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM
CL 4 LYFE

it looks alright to me
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by lnsyone
it looks alright to me

True, for $369 you should expect hazing, etc

I'll leave this thread alone and continue to let you guys be happy. Good job on getting these made again, didn't think it'd ever happen after the first batch a few years ago
Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
CL smashin

So...what's a good CF hood look like? Pics?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM
how handsome I am

yes, yes I am The quality looks like crap, but then again, what do you expect when you are getting a carbon fiber hood for $500. Looks like all the other shit hoods i've seen on tegs, etc. Just make sure ot take care of it so it doesn't oxidize to complete shit in a few months like most do
you've got to be kidding me, right? Did you see other shots or are you basing your opinion on one night shot scott?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
True, for $369 you should expect hazing, etc

I'll leave this thread alone and continue to let you guys be happy. Good job on getting these made again, didn't think it'd ever happen after the first batch a few years ago
Um, no offense scott, but The hoods were $460 a piece, and are made by VIS. They're not cheap crappy hoods.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Outlaw
So...what's a good CF hood look like? Pics?

Don't have shots of it prior to paint though But then again it was few K.

For what you guys are paying and expecting, it's a good hood I suppose. I've never seen a hood under a grand that I would consider close to quailty or would put on my car, but then again, i'd also most likely never leave a carbon fiber hood unpainted on a car of mine. I've also never seen one that looked good after a year or so under the elements. That's just from my personal experience (and i've had a lot of it detailing and being around CF hoods since the craze really went full force out here). I've had many people come to me w/ severly oxidized CF hoods, some were repairable, but didn't last long. Others were beyond repairable. But, for $500 you can't expect a top quality job IMO. Most people don't really understand the difference between a quality hood and one that's average so it really never comes into effect. If you are buying it simply for looks, which it sounds like most are. What you got to lose by only spending $400 on this hood. So I'll stay quiet for now
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Um, no offense scott, but The hoods were $460 a piece, and are made by VIS. They're not cheap crappy hoods.

No offense, but i've been around VIS hoods since they went in business (I also saw the first batch of hoods after they had been on cars for some time; even sold a lot when I worked at a shop at the end of high school). They aren't anything special. And yes, they are cheap hoods (you are paying $460 for a carbon fiber hood aren't you???) But regardless, you guys are happy, enjoy. I'll be very curious to see how they hold up to the elements a year or so down the road.

And as mentioned, you guys got what you want, congrats. I'll stay quiet now. Just make sure to take care of them so they don't oxidize
Old 11-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^ now thats high quailty CF.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
CL 4 LYFE

cant really judge it from pitures, unless the flaws are totally obvious.

if you saw the hood in person and it looked like shit then thats a different story.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

cant really judge it from pitures, unless the flaws are totally obvious.

if you saw the hood in person and it looked like shit then thats a different story.

I can see the hazing and bland spots from the pictures already And i've seen plenty of VIS hoods in person.

Okay okay, i'm really leaving this thread. Props again for making this happen guys, best of luck!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:15 PM
CL 4 LYFE

vis doesnt produce the greatest cf parts or aero kits in the industry. thats a given. ive seen some shitty quality hoods, but i cant say anything about the vis hood for the cl because i havent seen it in person. dont need to trip
Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
teh Senior Instigator

vis doesnt produce the greatest cf hoods in the cf industry. thats a given. ive seen some shitty quality hoods, but i cant say anything about the vis hood for the cl because i havent seen it in person. dont need to trip

as long as you are happy, that's all that matters. I'm not buying one of these hoods, you are
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
how handsome I am

Don't have shots of it prior to paint though But then again it was few K.

For what you guys are paying and expecting, it's a good hood I suppose. I've never seen a hood under a grand that I would consider close to quailty or would put on my car, but then again, i'd also most likely never leave a carbon fiber hood unpainted on a car of mine. I've also never seen one that looked good after a year or so under the elements. That's just from my personal experience (and i've had a lot of it detailing and being around CF hoods since the craze really went full force out here). I've had many people come to me w/ severly oxidized CF hoods, some were repairable, but didn't last long. Others were beyond repairable. But, for $500 you can't expect a top quality job IMO. Most people don't really understand the difference between a quality hood and one that's average so it really never comes into effect. If you are buying it simply for looks, which it sounds like most are. What you got to lose by only spending $400 on this hood. So I'll stay quiet for now
wow. I guess that is a high quality carbon fiber hood. Oh well. It's not like we all have a couple grand to throw down on a hood like that.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 PM
CL 4 LYFE

only reason why i got bought the hood is because i can say to myself that ive gotten a hood. then i wouldnt have to worry about searching for another cf gb to happen. im happy because someone had made an effort to organize a group buy- which had gone through. im actually amazed. its been how long since we've all been hearing:

"where can i get cf hoods from?"
"they dont make any for the CL's you noob"
"*cf hood group buy!! attn!!*"

its nice to see that the group buy happened. even if the hoods arent shiney dick top quality; try again and find another, yet better manufacturer. thats just my $10.02
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

only reason why i got bought the hood is because i can say to myself that ive gotten a hood. then i wouldnt have to worry about searching for another cf gb to happen. im happy because someone had made an effort to organize a group buy- which had gone through. im actually amazed. its been how long since we've all been hearing:

"where can i get cf hoods from?"
"they dont make any for the CL's you noob"
"*cf hood group buy!! attn!!*"

its nice to see that the group buy happened. even if the hoods arent shiney dick top quality; try again and find another manufacturer. thats just my $10.02

exactly, and I agree w/ ya. It has been a long time, well, since the first hoods got made 2-3 years ago
Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 PM
CL 4 LYFE

ancient like dinosaurs

who made the first cf hoods for the cl?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

uh.. sorry for bad pics? lol it's because i havent learned to paint-clean, polish, and wax the hell out of the hood every 2 weeks yet.. which i'm doing now.

i can tell you straight up that the hood is FUCKING nice in person... no need to come in here and start saying shit about the hoods. your hood looks nice, no doubt, but so do ours and who are you to judge from a single picture?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
teh Senior Instigator

ancient like dinosaurs

who made the first cf hoods for the cl?

VIS I thought
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by recycledpaper
who are you to judge from a single picture?
Someone who was judging from multiple pictures and who has seen many VIS hoods in person But as i've been saying, you pay $460 on a CF hood, you don't expect it to be perfect. Therefore, if you guys are happy, that's what matters
Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned

why do you have to come in here and bag on everyone's parade? there is no purpose other than to irritate us... we finally got a CF hood GB through and you have the balls to come in here and start criticizing the quality of our hoods? you think money grows on trees so that we can just pull a couple G's out of our ass and get a hood like yours?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by recycledpaper
why do you have to come in here and bag on everyone's parade? there is no purpose other than to irritate us... we finally got a CF hood GB through and you have the balls to come in here and start criticizing the quality of our hoods? you think money grows on trees so that we can just pull a couple G's out of our ass and get a hood like yours?

I was just informing you guys to take care of them

Read everything i've said deeper, i've commended you guys on getting these made. But I also prepared you for the quality of them. Make sure to treat them often, and try to keep them out of direct sunlight as much as possible
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
you ghey dawg!

yea thnx for the commending and the suggestions for maintaining our c/f hoods but as you can see^^that's not kool. Keep your opinions to yourself that nobody in a thread like this would wanna hear and if you woulda done that evry1 woulda been a lot happier. 460 bucks isnt cheap to most of us and we would rather hear compliments than complaints on what we spent our hard earned money on.

Quick Reply: First EVER! Acura CL Carbon Fiber Hood...PICTS!!!