FActory radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:21 PM
its paid for

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FActory radio removal

Hey everyone. I just picked up my new red 97 cl. Its wonderful. I am in the process of installing all my stereo equipment and I was looking for a little advice on removing the factory radio and reinstalling the aftermarket headunit with the small cubby below it.

I searched the topics thourghly and found very few explanations of this process...mostly things did not go into much detail. So any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

--------------------------------------
90 Integra -> 97 2.2 CL 5sp....keepin it in the family
Old 05-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Racer

Hey Welcome to the board!!!

Boy, you are quick to mods aren't you. Just kidding. Anyhow, in terms of everyone not going into detail about the whole cubby hole things is because it varies from head unit to head unit. It depends on which unit you have and, it really only relies on your creativity and mind.

You could some how take screws and find holes on your head unit bracket to screw the two hangers of the "cubby hole" on to it. Or you could create your own hangers that may work with the layout of your installation bracket.

I hope this was helpful and I wish I could be more helpful but like I have said it depends on what head unit you have. If by coincidence you might have my head unit then you might be in luck. I have a Pioneer Premier 7400MP.

Again, welcome to the board, and good luck with the ride and future mods.

-James-
Old 05-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Racer

I ended up using the cheesy kit you can get at radio shack and lost the access to my "cubby" However, I have heard people say they just electrical taped their headunit and cubby together and put it back in. Im not to sure if I would go that route do to possible overheating problems of the new headunit. Im going to try and experiment getting that back in there. I miss having it, plus it looks better than that generic plastic harness.

Welcome aboard!!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:38 PM
its paid for

Ok I found the "Newbie" FAQ post and it had the removal instructions. If I come up with a new way to mount the "cubby" to an aftermarket head unit I'll post something up.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

my friend also just won this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2413652985

we were wondering how to remove everything to get to the radio and anything else to install it. Sorry I am a ford person with my expedition. But I love acura.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:18 PM
its paid for

well on thursday i am installing my eclipse deck into my CL. I'll have the digi cam handy and I'll take some pics and maybe post a "how to"

so untill thursady...
Old 05-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Old Man

Install the sleave that came with the radio and use a dremel and cut two slits on the bottom of the side of the sleave. Before you do that look at how the cubby is mounted and measure it. The tighter the better. Then install the cubby to the sleave and radio. On the back of the radio, use the strap that came with the radio (the aftermarket) and bend it in sort of a "z" shape. Remove the rear mounting hardware from your stock radio and mount the radio (after market) the same way the stock was mounted --- you will need to bend a little here and there. Your radio will look as though it came stock with the car. -- Read -- no cheessy Radioshack mounting kits.