Factory Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Cell Phone

Anyone have a factory cell phone in there CL?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 89 Posts
No, I thought about it but all Acura was offering was an analog phone and I already owned a digital.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:36 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's one on eBay right now! I've seen several in the past, but don't want an analog phone in my car.
Acura CL Cell Phone
Old 02-05-2002, 10:57 PM
An Official Cl Whore

I saw the phone the other day. I didn't even know it was an option. How does car phones work anyway? I mean who provides the service, etc...
Old 02-06-2002, 07:17 AM
Instructor

Cell Phone

If the phone is analog it limits the cell providers one can sign up with...unless the phone has a replaceable chip...according to the verizon rep.

Basically you look for a few numbers or codes on the phone/phone documentation and then the cell phone company/rep programs that companies cell network to accept calls from the phone. (probably way oversimplified)

The problem is all cell companies do not support all cell phones. (personally I believe they could but so not want to invest in the infastructure and they make money on selling you more advanced phones).

I'm no expert but this is the way I see it.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:09 PM
K-State Wildcat

I am actually an expert on this subject. I am a manager at a cell phone store that provides voicestream, sprint PCS, and NExtel.
Different service providers work with different technology. Nextel and VoiceStream work on 900 mhz simm chip technology, meaning that they will work all over the world. Sprint works on a different freq without simm tech.
Those are digital specs, I am not an expert on analog, but it works the same way.
Phones will only "hear" frequency transmitions from their own tower.
For instance, Mercedes offers a Motorola TimePort with their CLK series and up cars. The phones can be programmed to either Sprint or Verizon. The phones work on the same frequency or band so they are compatable.
More than likely, this phone has not been "adopted" by a particular company, but still works on a single band or freq. The phone must be capped for a certain company. My guess would be Alltel, Cell one, or maybe Verizon, but strickly analog...which sucks.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info Acurate.

Do you know if a Ditigal cell phone and Analog cell phone live together on the same provider?

Thnaks
Old 02-06-2002, 02:51 PM
kee-master

1st... nextel does not work all over the world... not every place in the the word has nextel's infrucstructure setup.. the ONLY phone that will work anywhere in the whole is a satelite phone...

there's no such things as simm chip technology when it comes to phone technologies... there are cdma, wcdma, tdma, gsm, the enhance tdma that nextel uses (forgot the name) and analog. these technologies depending on the country/location operates on different frequencies, 800/900/1800/1900 mhz. to be able to use a phone at any given place.. u have to make sure there's a phone carrier which provides their cell signals within the frequency range of your phone and also it uses the same technology as your phone.

any analog phone from north america will work on ANY phone carriers that has analog infracstructures in north america (because of the specs that the phone was built on)... the challenge is to find an carrier that still has analog services... if u find one... just give them the "ID number" (it's been so long i forget what its' called) of your phone to enter into their system, and program the assigned phone number onto the phone and you are good to go!

there are many companies that carries both analog and digital services. there are phones out there that has both modes built in (it can switch between analog and digital depending on network traffic)... i doubt anybody out there willl still want to support analog phones.. they hug bandwidth and they hug spaces on cell towers...

hg

Originally posted by Acurate
I am actually an expert on this subject. I am a manager at a cell phone store that provides voicestream, sprint PCS, and NExtel.
Different service providers work with different technology. Nextel and VoiceStream work on 900 mhz simm chip technology, meaning that they will work all over the world. Sprint works on a different freq without simm tech.
Those are digital specs, I am not an expert on analog, but it works the same way.
Phones will only "hear" frequency transmitions from their own tower.
For instance, Mercedes offers a Motorola TimePort with their CLK series and up cars. The phones can be programmed to either Sprint or Verizon. The phones work on the same frequency or band so they are compatable.
More than likely, this phone has not been "adopted" by a particular company, but still works on a single band or freq. The phone must be capped for a certain company. My guess would be Alltel, Cell one, or maybe Verizon, but strickly analog...which sucks.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info!!!!

ESN Number is the number you were searching for, I beleive.

Does anyone make a digital phone for a 98CL? If so they would make life much easier.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been looking for a nice cell phone mount that might fit (and not look crappy) in my CL. I have a StarTac and my current mount that fits in the cig lighter sticks out too far and hits the shifter when in park.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:08 AM
Instructor

I like the buit in look.
I thought that the newer CL's have Cell's built in there navs. IS this not true?