F_ed up Paint job..........read this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 05:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F_ed up Paint job..........read this!

So my car is a '98 3.0, bought it in 2001 from a BMW dealer in Fairfax, VA. The dealer guaranteed me that it had never been in an accident and he had the complete maintenance records from the one previous owner and she apparently kept the car immaculate. It seemed that I had gotten a SWEET ASS deal. Mint condition black with tint and spoiler. I LOVE the car! Anyway, about 2 or 3 months ago I began to notice a cloudy strip running up and down the absolute center of my hood..........and my hood only. The cloudy strip is about 6-8 inches wide.
SO.............I wasn't really that concerned at first. I figured i'd give it a wash and see. That didn't work. So then I tried cleaner wax and polishing compound..........that didn't work. Then I decided to take it to a professional because I don't have a high speed polishing wheel. I got the car back yesterday..........looks absolutely gorgeous, but the strip is still there!!! So the guy tells me it looks like a paint defect and to take it up with Acura. So I took the car to the dealer to have it inspected. The guy tells me that it is indeed a paint defect, but the hood appears to have been REPAINTED at some point. I then took it to a third party (auto body shop) and he tells me that it looks like the hood, R and L front fendors and the bumper have ALL been REPAINTED!! But he also said that the car does not appear to have been in a major accident. ANYWAY. So now it looks like i'm fooked. I've got a bunk paint job, my car is out of warranty and it doesn't even look like it is a factory paint defect.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Anybody know how much it costs to have the hood repainted? Anybody have a recommendation for a painter in the NY (Westchester, Tarrytown) area? Carbon fiber hoods anyone? Or, does anyone wanna trade hoods with me? (if you are thinking about repainting your own car, etc.)
p.s. Sorry for the long post........just venting my frustration.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 AM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
well, you could do like i did and pray for hail...lol...i got 3g's worth of dammage and they had to repaint the whole car for free thanks to my insurance! :-)
Old 08-13-2003, 06:40 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be able to get the hood repainted for around $500.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:20 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
forget that you can get a carbon fiber hood for 500 and get it shipped to your house and it looks sweet on black cl's
Old 08-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where can i get a carbon fiber hood? Is it already painted?