Double Din Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,170 Likes on 685 Posts
Double Din Monitor

Hey i was just wondering if anyone knew of a 7 in monitor that would fit in our din opening. I have already relocated the headunit down to the cig lighter and ash try area because of the navi system but the DVD decoder took a crap so i sent the whole system back and now i need to fill the hole. Any suggestions would be great
Old 04-21-2003, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry maybe I'm reading your post wrong (still hungover from last night). Are you asking if a 7" in dash DVD HU will fit? If so then yes. I have the clarion model and that fits fine. Only thing is, it's so deep that it's a pain in the ass to get all the wires adjusted in the back of the dash.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Racer

ne 8.4" wide screen/16x9 lcd will probably fit on a standard double din size opening. i'm current working on a car-computer, and i will need to relocate the cd player down to the ash tray and cig lighter plug too, however, i'm not sure how to do this.

how did you relocate the cd player down there? do you got pix? many thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Hey i like the carputer idea. I was checking out mp3car.com and it was amazing what they were doing but to be honest i have no clue how all that works. All i want for now is a monitor (heard 7inch was the biggest that would fit) to fill my double din opening and then a tuner and DVD player. Im just not sure what monitor will fill my housing. I heard about a radon from japan will but im not sure if im skilled enough to remove the flip down housing and all. I wanted to stay around 200 for the monitor but it looks like im going to have to spend more I was looking at a farenheit but it is pricey. Any ideas what else would fit or where i could buy them? not to crazy about ebay although im curious if those legacys are crap and whether they would fit. It seems the opening it around 4.5 x 7.5 Any help would be great

As for the headunit i cut it out with a hack saw (use a dremel, much cleaner) and slid the headunit in. I still need to trim my aftermarket wood trim up to hide the edges of the cut for the HU. Here are a few pics of the HU and the Navi which doesnt work any more
Old 04-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Please help i want to order one tonight or tomorrow
Old 04-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Racer

etronics.com has a lot of mobile video monitor stuff.

but most of those stuff are not really worth it because they are not dual active matrix lcd and no vga input. vga input is superior to s-video, but only a computer video card has vga output. i have been in the same spot that you are now for awhile, but i have decided to mod my dash and put in a 9.4" vga lcd monitor for the car comp. i'm definitely gonna put a gps navigation system in it too. i will prolly have full detail instruction with pictures of the project if ne else is interested.

btw wut are you using your lcd monitor for? dvd? i know that apex will come out with an 8.4 wide screen portable dvd player in july, and the monitor will fit the double din side perfect, however, there will be some mod to seperate the lcd and the player. i dont imagine it would so hard. this is a progressive dvd player too, and it supports s-video input, so you can hook up a ps2 to it if you like. but i'm not sure wut you wanna do with the monitor, and you may need this much sooner.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Instructor

I love the way that the headunit has been relocated... and being a non-smoker, I couldn't care less about the ash tray. Although the cigarette lighter is important (to power up 12V devices). Did you find a place to relocate the cigarette lighter to? And did you remove the dash, or simply do the cutting inside of the car? For a better job, I would probably want to remove the dash.

I'm also thinking of installing a high quality LCD SCREEN (as big as possible). I've seen cheap LCD displays and they really suck.

I want to perform these functions with my integrated computer that I will be building:

*Plays MP3s (using an RF remote for selection) as well as music videos.

*Be able to surf the net using a CISCO wireless card. Of course, being close to an access point is required for that.

*GPS navigation. Not sure on the software that I could use though. I have streets and trip but was told it is not the best for in car navigation

* Be able to record from the front and the rear of the car using two tiny pinhole cameras and be able to switch views.

That's about it for now... I might have to design my custom interface. (not too hard with VISUAL BASIC) to be able to integrate everything as smoothly as possible.

The main challenge is finding the right hardware and integrating it to the car in such a way that it is not detectable.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

yea i moved the cig lighter into the center console just in front of the CD holder The only problem is it sits to high now so i have to mod it some more.

Yes i just want it to watch DVD and TV for now There are so many choices Any links or anything thai you seem really knowledgable on this stuff thank a lot and i would like to get it soon this open double din hole is ugly

Edit do you think i can remove this surround so it will fit (http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...category=14946 )
Old 04-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Your best bet is to go on www.mp3car.com and check out the message board. A lot of knowledgeable people there that have tried all kinds of hardware. Whenever I need an opinion on something related to audio/video for the car, I go there.

Your best bet (and probably what I'm going to be doing) is to measure the opening in the dash, and get a piece of black plexiglass that fits in the opening perfectly... then simply get a monitor that is a tad smaller (1 inch on each side maybe?) that the opening and cut your plexiglass (with a dremel of course) to fit the dimensions of your LCD display... that way you'll get something nice that'll fit properly.

The picture though of your ride shows that you already have an ACURA navigation system installed in your car! Where did you get it from? Can't you use that to play DVDs? You said it was non-functional, what's wrong with it?
Old 04-22-2003, 01:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MontrealCL
Your best bet is to go on www.mp3car.com and check out the message board. A lot of knowledgeable people there that have tried all kinds of hardware. Whenever I need an opinion on something related to audio/video for the car, I go there.

Your best bet (and probably what I'm going to be doing) is to measure the opening in the dash, and get a piece of black plexiglass that fits in the opening perfectly... then simply get a monitor that is a tad smaller (1 inch on each side maybe?) that the opening and cut your plexiglass (with a dremel of course) to fit the dimensions of your LCD display... that way you'll get something nice that'll fit properly.

The picture though of your ride shows that you already have an ACURA navigation system installed in your car! Where did you get it from? Can't you use that to play DVDs? You said it was non-functional, what's wrong with it?
Our car never came with NAVI. You just think that because 1stGenCL did a hell of a job installing the OEM NAVI. Came off the newer model CL's.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Yeah, I know that the first gen's never came with NAVI, that's why I asked him where he got it from!

I'd love to get my hands on a NAVI system like that as well!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MontrealCL
Yeah, I know that the first gen's never came with NAVI, that's why I asked him where he got it from!

I'd love to get my hands on a NAVI system like that as well!!!
sorry man I'm a idiot
Old 04-22-2003, 05:24 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Uh, i wish i could use the navi cause i would have def. converted it to play DVDs with the GEX-P7000 Tuner but the DVD drive on the navi was broken when i got it so i kept getting disc errors it looked so hot to Oh well im going to keep looking for another navi system just havent found one so the monitor will fill the hole in the mean time
Thanks for all the suggestions, i have looked at mp3car.com but didnt find exactly what i wanted and cant post cause they have emailedme my password
Old 06-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Any luck with your search for a NAVI setup???
Old 06-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

No, i bought a power acoustik 7.2 inch because i read somewhere that it could be seperated and would fit but it is too big and i have pulled it apart. The housing isnt really any bigger than the interals. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Instructor

I STILL THINK NO BULLSH*$ YOU NEED TO ADD SOME PICS MAN I WANNA SEE THAT IDEA YOU DID.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Instructor

I'm quite sure a 7.2" can fit quite nicely in the opening... I have a 7" and there is lots of room to spare.

Do you have any pictures of it by any chance?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

oh shit, how can i do this, can i just use it as my radio too? i want to replace my headunit on my 99cl with that acura navi. possible?

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Hey i like the carputer idea. I was checking out mp3car.com and it was amazing what they were doing but to be honest i have no clue how all that works. All i want for now is a monitor (heard 7inch was the biggest that would fit) to fill my double din opening and then a tuner and DVD player. Im just not sure what monitor will fill my housing. I heard about a radon from japan will but im not sure if im skilled enough to remove the flip down housing and all. I wanted to stay around 200 for the monitor but it looks like im going to have to spend more I was looking at a farenheit but it is pricey. Any ideas what else would fit or where i could buy them? not to crazy about ebay although im curious if those legacys are crap and whether they would fit. It seems the opening it around 4.5 x 7.5 Any help would be great

As for the headunit i cut it out with a hack saw (use a dremel, much cleaner) and slid the headunit in. I still need to trim my aftermarket wood trim up to hide the edges of the cut for the HU. Here are a few pics of the HU and the Navi which doesnt work any more
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Racer

old thread!! lol, that shit is pimpin tho!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kmc0929
oh shit, how can i do this, can i just use it as my radio too? i want to replace my headunit on my 99cl with that acura navi. possible?

lol you are asking if its possible and there is a picture of it right there. yes its possible but i heard there is a lot of wireing involved. a Acura Navi would be pimp, but it is just a bitch to put it, i would do aftermarket.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,045 Posts
It's definitely possible, but it'll be an involved process. Search for willp99 he did a full navi install into his CL. Even posted up the wiring harness schematics if I recall. The rest is just inputs, you can input dvd, or carputer depending on what inputs the navi has
Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
8.4" 16:9 wide screen would fix the double din?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
8.4" 16:9 wide screen would fix the double din?

The thread is OLD. And nope, it won't fit without hacking up your dash.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

gotcha, but is there anything that fits into the old radio spot without buying that adapter to make it into a single din, id like to utilize all that space i guess.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Doom dee doooooom

dude... like every company out there makes a double din screen. alpine, pioneer, eclipse... jensen... everyone. type double din screen into ebay and 23 different ones show up.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I got a carputer in my car and absolutely love it. I am reworking the fiberglass bezel since I messed up the first one with my first attempt at fiberglass. Expect big results thanksgiving weekend! Going to completely rework my trunk and monitor!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

what i ment was is our spot a double din?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM
The Lithuanian

Hmm, good thing this thread came from the dead, I was looking for a deck relocation spot and NEVER thought of the ashtray/lighter area. I'm working on a carputer right now myself. Got the software from www.gnetcanada.com (check it out guys, very nice and simple interface). Gonna be powered by a 1.2Ghz ThinkPad laptop under my seat, and a lilliput 7" widescreen touchscreen that i'm fitting into the centerconsole in place of the current stereo / changebox area. I don't needa worry about fiberglass because I have a 3D printer at work at my disposal so i'm printing out a LCD centerconsole housing from a CAD model of the din area that'll house the LCD (i'm taking the LCD out of the LCD stock housing). Should be a neat little project, i'll post pix when its done (ETA under 2 weeks).
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,045 Posts
Originally Posted by kmc0929
what i ment was is our spot a double din?
It can be, but there isn't really a double din kit for our car, so you have to do a custom job, however the space with the pocket and single din radio comes out to a double din