Could this be done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this be done?

I was brainstorming about interior mods I can do after I get my bumper fixed (next week, finally!), and I thought about my gauges....it's the part of the interior I have to look at 90% of the time, and it looks pretty boring. I was thinking of using a company like this one: http://www.phoenix-image.com/Products.htm to paint this piece woodgrain to match the other woodgrain pieces, and the plannel that surrounds the gauges brushed alluminum.

How much do you think it'd cost? Also is that panel I'm talking about even removable? also are there any white guages with classic looking numbers that fit our cars?

Basically what I'm talking about is like this: http://www.phoenix-image.com/Dash%20Kit%20Pics/Mustangs/FlagMask06%20(Medium).JPG

only the flag part would be brushed alluminum and the brushed alluminum part would be woodgrain
Old 05-07-2005, 03:47 PM
~ The Endless One ~

looks interesting...guages you can find on ebay...

getting the custom woodgrain sounds $$$
Old 05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
nippon_wa 2.0

Yes, that can be possible. I painted mine primrose and put aftermarket gauges.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 PM
eh f**k altezzas.

yeah i was thinkin of doin mine in light grey leather to match the roof. i dont know if anybody else has this but everything in my car is charcoal(black) leather except the roof and pillars which is a light grey. and i just wanted to tie the roof into the dash and stuff. and i was also going to do my woodgrain in grey leather. i think that woodgrain would look awesome. maybe you could look into gettin some cedar or mahogany shingles and staining them to match. then putting a coat of laquer on them. maybe redo all the wood with REAL wood. i think real wood would be PIMP. plus itd be a shitload cheaper probably.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I was also thinking about doing that with the real woodgrain for the dashboard, although I don't think the piece I'm talking about out of wood lol.....

The big question I'm after is about the panel that covers the gauges, behind the glass.... refer to the flag part on this mustang: http://www.phoenix-image.com/Dash%20Kit%20Pics/Mustangs/FlagMask06%20(Medium).JPG
Now the mustang has those white panels where the engine/abs/srs/fuel lights are, but are cars' are part of the same panel right? Do you think they could get the brushed alluminum effect on there by masking off the lights? They say the procedure is done by painting the piece, then getting the desired effect by putting this photo in this liquid that disolves the film, and dipping the painted piece into the liquid to adhere to the film....so wouldn't the liquid also disolve the masking tape?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
eh f**k altezzas.

no the guages and the lights come away from that american flag panel(in the picture). so basically what your sayin is in relation to the picture, you want the american flag part to be brushed aluminum and the grey part to be woodgrain. i think that could be done. i dont know if it would look good but i think it could be done.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Instructor

I know they come away in the picture, but I'm not sure on our cars, that's what I was asking about.

I basically want a classic look to it.....

I know this is just a clock, but this is the exact look I'm after:
Old 05-07-2005, 09:20 PM
eh f**k altezzas.

if you have the grey interior that would look really good(old caddy style). i dont think it would look good if you have the charcoal(black) interior, it would look too "out of place"
Old 05-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Yes I have a grey interior. Cloth though

I really wouldn't mind just painting the whole panel and hooking up a seperate panel for the warning lights with LED's, or drilling holes in the panel for them....I'll see what happens. in a few weeks I may contact them about pricing. Even if I have to leave the panel black I still would at least have the other piece woodgrained.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
man that looks how, i want some stuff done in carbon fiber, but i wonder how much it would be
Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 AM
eh f**k altezzas.

Originally Posted by Nick 97cl
Yes I have a grey interior. Cloth though

I really wouldn't mind just painting the whole panel and hooking up a seperate panel for the warning lights with LED's, or drilling holes in the panel for them....I'll see what happens. in a few weeks I may contact them about pricing. Even if I have to leave the panel black I still would at least have the other piece woodgrained.
i looked at all the styles of wood they have. i think the light burlwood would match ours the best. now i want all my trim done in neon blue carbon fibre. decisions are hard. so much to do so little money.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:01 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
custom woodgrain > all. I've been thinking of getting that for my car on and off since I bought the thing...

I'll get to it eventually.

-Alex