Context is everything...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Context is everything...

Recently in a post from a week ago, I made an error in judgement. I used a racial slur that I am sure would have lost me an election. In any case I managed to offend a user and this fact I regret.

Just be sure that it was not made in a spirit of racial hatred.

Here is his PM and my response.

Originally Posted by supaman8118
Yeah nigga please!
(For all of you, that is SO NOT a racial slur)
"Yeah and you don't stop, cause it's a 187 on a undercover cop."
OK it is a racial slur, and its very offensive to black people (take my word for it, I would know) singing it in a song is one thing, but saying it just to say it like what you did is offensive. If you don't think its a racial slur, look it up in a dictionary.
nigga
noun(ethnic slur) extremely offensive name for a Black person; "only a Black can call another Black a nigga" [syn: nigger]
You are absolutely right...

So, you can take in context, or you can take it by its meaning in the dictionary.

Personally, I think it should be taken in context. If you are offended, I can only say...
My appologies.

Besides, I have no idea what the racial or ethnic backgrounds of anyone on this board are, nor do I care in the slightest.

Take care.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
smoked by a Focus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think he over reacted quite a bit- he needs to take in account the context of that post. Clearly not what you meant at all. Besides, I think people are getting crazy with the militant political correct bullshit. There is a difference between an intentional racial slur and a word that is thrown around in everday conversations in a non negative manner.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
Def sounds like he over reacted. I've never known AJ to talk shit and I'll vouch for him, especially since he was quoting a rap song
Old 01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
how handsome I am

Meh. It's the interweb. Dont feel too bad about it. People throw those things around all the time and to get upset over it when it's being used indirectly without malice like that is silly.

If you were saying it in the context of a racial slur, then yes that might raise a few brows.

You're still a respected member of the 1gCL community (at least in my eyes.) lol.

-Alex
Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Thanks guys, I really felt bad...

Wow, Have you read this one...

Originally Posted by UTsmokey14
BTW i will keep taking my car there, and my car is always going to be nicer than your stock ass CL with mexican rims. Its always going to run better, its always going to be faster, and its never going to be puke teal with chrome rims. LOL

P.S. you are 27 years old. Why dont you act your age faggot? Does it help your self-esteem when you get online and talk shit about people you have never met? Does it make you feel like a big man? Does it make up for all those lonely friday and saturday nights when nobody wants to chill with you because you're such a dick? I'm sure its all worth it to you. I'm not here to judge...

my .02

-drew
Wow... Oh well. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I say that all the damn time. Nigga, not a bad word. the other word.. not so much.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ajtcl
Thanks guys, I really felt bad...

Wow, Have you read this one...

Wow... Oh well. Thanks again.
He's just an idiot....
Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
I say that it not a bad word unless somebody takes it offensive. pretty much all races that like the hip-hop world use it.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea, things nee to be read in context as you said. Shit, go over to homemadeturbo.com, they say the N word, 18 different racial remarks against hispanic people, homosexuals, they are horrible over there. Whoever said this to you, i suggest you go over there and then see what you think of this board.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Nigga is not a racial slur in my opinion (nigger is). Nor would I care who I offend with that lingual. Those of whom you could possibly offend with that dumb of a slang are usally the bottom of the food chain anyways, and by that I mean, poor and ignorant as fuck. So, in my mind, I'd like to say, who gives a shit.

If they dont like it, then stop fucking saying it so much among yourselves. Monkey see, monkey do, as you learn as a youngster.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

with cocoa
Old 01-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ive heard some ridiculous things on this website, but this is def up there. im not saying how i feel, ill get kicked off the website.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

haha, good move ghost, we dont need to lose another good member.

People take stuff so far out of proportion sometimes, they can say it to eachother, but once an "outsider" says it, its hatred and a racial slur.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
where is....

i didnt think it was a problem when i quoted the song, but i didnt get a pm either
Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
at least the kid PMed instead of calling him out in the thread, ruining it, even though it was probaly hi-jacked like every 1st gen CL thread.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
The Hefty 2.2

I think if a word offends or has a chance of offending someone, then i suggest you just use a different word. Is it worth the arguing just because of a word? Is it that hard to just say "bro" or "dude" or whatever the situation might be? Is it worth getting in a fight just because you want to use a particular word? If it is to you, then so be it. But it isn't to hard to find words in the dictionary that people are comfortable with. It might be a bit more understanding to the older folks or people that work, because when you are young, you don't have to watch what you say as much. It just isn't that mature when you are working or in college using all this slang... IMO
Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NitiNiteZ
I think if a word offends or has a chance of offending someone, then i suggest you just use a different word. Is it worth the arguing just because of a word? Is it that hard to just say "bro" or "dude" or whatever the situation might be? Is it worth getting in a fight just because you want to use a particular word? If it is to you, then so be it. But it isn't to hard to find words in the dictionary that people are comfortable with. It might be a bit more understanding to the older folks or people that work, because when you are young, you don't have to watch what you say as much. It just isn't that mature when you are working or in college using all this slang... IMO
Old 01-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

OK let me say this, first of all I PMed the guy for a reason which was to keep it between he and not to make a forum about why something is wrong with me because I don't like people (black or white) using the word "nigga". I didn't know that "yeah nigga please" was part of the song I thought he was just saying it.
I don't expect you to understand why its offensive and shouldn't be said if your not black, black people who throw it around everyday aren't thinking and being stupid IMO. All I expect is that when someone (like me) tells you (educated people) yeah thats a little offensive, that you just don't use it because you may not understand the full extent of its meaning and because it you asked me not to use a racial slur I wouldn't because it offends you and I have other words in my vocabulary.

The comment by cocoa...
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Nigga is not a racial slur in my opinion (nigger is). Nor would I care who I offend with that lingual. Those of whom you could possibly offend with that dumb of a slang are usally the bottom of the food chain anyways, and by that I mean, poor and ignorant as fuck. So, in my mind, I'd like to say, who gives a shit.

If they dont like it, then stop fucking saying it so much among yourselves. Monkey see, monkey do, as you learn as a youngster.
whats the point of talking about me like this on a car forum???? You have no clue who I am, I'm no where near poor, the bottom of the food chain or ignorant. If thats how you feel about a black person whos offended by the word "nigga" then you should really learn about some other cultures. And I don't use the word myself because it sets a bad example for people like you.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

For the love of god, he was quoting a rap lyric!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
For the love of god, he was quoting a rap lyric!!!

hmm well some people just dont know....

i will admit i use it with friends, and so do they....but i think its more of what context it is is. not saying that it is right, but saying hatefully as apose to a slang term is different in my sense.

its okay we still luv ya ajtcl.....you damn racist...
Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 AM
1997 CL 3.0 Premium (K)

Boo hoo. All this talk about feelings is like watching Montel. Let's get back to rippin' n00bs who ask which intake to use for better v-teckkkque.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
I think little mister 17 yr old got pissy, lost his cool, and inserted his head in his ass. When it pops out, maybe he'll be a little calmer.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
hopefully it's apology accepted...

there's worse things in life than a hissy on a car forum.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Safety Car

nigga's please's quit's with the quarreling.

If I got mad every time someone used a "derogatory" term about germans I would be pissed off an awful lot (I'm german for those that didn't catch the implication.)

people shouldn't get so butthurt about it unless it's pointed directly at them in a menacing way, and even then who gives a shit what someone else thinks?

as for this thread in general, ajtcl: you are most definitely in the wrong for making it. you felt that you needed to validate your use of it, but hey, he PMed you for a reason... to keep it PRIVATE!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Safety Car

some people take shit way too seriously, ask him how he was offended, did it revert him back to his roots of him and his fore fathers getting beaten pickin cotton... i doubt it, and before anyone starts to hate on me, im black, well mulatto, but black enough to use the word any time i feel like it, and to know theres a difference, especially being raised in texas tryin to mack on white girls, who's fathers directly called me a nigger and i should stay with my own race (remember im a mulatto)... well little do they know i had already fucked thier daughter.. ignorant fucks. dont worry bout sayin nigga, if you were to say shut up you nigger than that would be a different story. stay up pimp...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Werd
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 AM
2600lb CL

Who gives a shit about the word nigga! At least it doesn't end in er!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 AM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by supaman8118
OK let me say this, first of all I PMed the guy for a reason which was to keep it between he and not to make a forum about why something is wrong with me because I don't like people (black or white) using the word "nigga". I didn't know that "yeah nigga please" was part of the song I thought he was just saying it.
I don't expect you to understand why its offensive and shouldn't be said if your not black, black people who throw it around everyday aren't thinking and being stupid IMO. All I expect is that when someone (like me) tells you (educated people) yeah thats a little offensive, that you just don't use it because you may not understand the full extent of its meaning and because it you asked me not to use a racial slur I wouldn't because it offends you and I have other words in my vocabulary.

The comment by cocoa...

whats the point of talking about me like this on a car forum???? You have no clue who I am, I'm no where near poor, the bottom of the food chain or ignorant. If thats how you feel about a black person whos offended by the word "nigga" then you should really learn about some other cultures. And I don't use the word myself because it sets a bad example for people like you.
I only say that based on ALL my past experiences.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Talking Peace... (Says the damn racist)

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
nigga's please's quit's with the quarreling.

If I got mad every time someone used a "derogatory" term about germans I would be pissed off an awful lot (I'm german for those that didn't catch the implication.)

people shouldn't get so butthurt about it unless it's pointed directly at them in a menacing way, and even then who gives a shit what someone else thinks?

as for this thread in general, ajtcl: you are most definitely in the wrong for making it. you felt that you needed to validate your use of it, but hey, he PMed you for a reason... to keep it PRIVATE!!!!!
The only agenda here was to find out how many members are actually offended by these types of comments. And yes, I think this thread could have been in ramblings, but the comment was made here. No validation, and no breach of privacy...

I am amazed at how far this has rolled.
Anyways, I respect most on this board and will do my best not to offend people. That certainly is not what I am here for. I just love my CL.