CL 3.0 Auto shift?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:03 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh... the first gen 3.0 would've been hot if corporate had considered giving it 5 or 6 speeds and not waiting until 2003 (i think it was...)

in the meantime, 2.x MT > 3.0 AT 4ev

-Alex
Old 02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phlux77
If your starting at a red light and you want to get the best jump you should start in 1. That way when you reach the redline you can put it in 2nd and then to 3rd. This gives you control of your tranny without a clutch. I would not do this often at all though. This will over time cause tranny problems. Remember not to rag out your CL because it is not a racecar and if you keep stressing the engine to the max, just like in any car, you will run into problems. Just some friendly advice!

This is something I won't do. Can I just start on D3 and once i'm in 3rd gear shift up to D4?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:10 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by DivineCL
Let me get this straight. D3 only utilizes 3 gears and does not have a 4th? Then what's the top speed you can reach on D3? I've gunned it on D4 and it gets me no where....I topped out at 110 and that's when my rev limiter kicked in. :ghey:
( I wish our 3.0's were 5 or 6 speed )

Now when you do it "Manually" you start on 1 until you hit redline then pop it up to 2 ( redline ), then D3 ( redline ), and finally D4 and you should be able to hit top speed...correct?

I'm because everyone does things different on their 3.0's.

D3 tops out at about 108mph. if you say your rev limiter is kicking in then there is a problem. but 4th gear is an "overdrive "gear so it does take a while for it to get going up to 1307MPH. i drive mine in D4 all the time. the only time i go into D3 is if i need more power or go but usually i just put my foot in it and it downshifts and goes. you don't need to shift from first to second to third then forth to get it to go it's max speed. you may think your rev limiter kicked in but 4th gear is a big gear to turn so it will take longer then the other gears. i leave mine in D4 all the time considering i just got a new transmission but the dealership had to pay for it . i only have about a thousand miles on the new tranny.

to let you know if you guys wanta smoother shift ad lucus stop slip tranmission additive, i think thats what it is called. i put it in my car and my dad put it in his TL and the tranny is so much smoother. you get rid of that first gear jerk by about 50% and it lubricates the tranny even more kepping it cooler.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by phlux77
not sure but that sounds right because it's higher RPM's. If you keep it in D3 you are only not allowing it to shift into overdrive so its more gas and higher RPM's. If your racing for high speed than yes keep it in D3 but for regular highway than D4 will be your best bet.
D3 doesn't make it shift at a higher RPM. It just doesn't engage 4th gear. It's not like the "sport" "comfort" mode on some Infiniti/Nissan cars. Those actually delay the shift point for sport and shift early for comfort.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by AS3.0CL
D3 tops out at about 108mph. if you say your rev limiter is kicking in then there is a problem. but 4th gear is an "overdrive "gear so it does take a while for it to get going up to 1307MPH. i drive mine in D4 all the time. the only time i go into D3 is if i need more power or go but usually i just put my foot in it and it downshifts and goes. you don't need to shift from first to second to third then forth to get it to go it's max speed. you may think your rev limiter kicked in but 4th gear is a big gear to turn so it will take longer then the other gears. i leave mine in D4 all the time considering i just got a new transmission but the dealership had to pay for it . i only have about a thousand miles on the new tranny.

to let you know if you guys wanta smoother shift ad lucus stop slip tranmission additive, i think thats what it is called. i put it in my car and my dad put it in his TL and the tranny is so much smoother. you get rid of that first gear jerk by about 50% and it lubricates the tranny even more kepping it cooler.

I was trying to remember the name yesterday but couldn't. I added the lucus stop slip transmission additive about 2 months ago and it helped my tranny big time.

BTW - What I don't like about D4 is that it doesn't redline ( it shifts about 400 rpm's prior to redline ). Let me get this straight....Once you hit max on D3 you upshift to D4 to hit top speed or do you just stay on D4 the whole time?
Wouldn't it take longer to hit top speed by staying on D4 from the get-go versus D3 and then D4?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm a llama :(

Well I have a 2.3 and in D3 I think I topped out at around 100mph. D4 is drag limited at around 130 or something.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
If your gonna run, keep it in D3 all the way to 110mph. If you were to run it in D4, it's going to shift into 4th gear overdrive at around 100 and slow you down.

4th gear is our weakest link in the clutch pack. That's the gear you wanna baby and prob stay out of, lol. I hate that gear to the fullest. Driving in D3 for around town seems like a good idea.

CLPower already tested the manual shifting at the tracks (so I read in an old thread), and he stated you in fact get slower times in the 1/4 by manual shifting. Keep it in D3 when running.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Cruisin'

I guess all of you live in Montana and can go over 110mph everyday huh? It is not best to keep it in D3 unless you are in traffic and dont need to use the overdrive. If you race all the time than yes D3 is best but, for regular everyday driving, D4 is the corrcect gear. So to sum it up...

D3 - Racing, heavy traffic, or mountain roads
D4 - Regular driving over 50mph and highway
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM

That sucks, so if I'm racing in D3 and I have the other car on my tail, once I hit 110 he'll pass me? :shakehead
Is there a counter for D4's :ghey:ness?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:34 PM
#1 Yankees Hater

That sucks, so if I'm racing in D3 and I have the other car on my tail, once I hit 110 he'll pass me? :shakehead

?????????????????
Old 02-24-2005, 03:37 PM
how handsome I am

Talking

as a matter of fact, there is.

1->2->3->4->5

-Alex
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
F1 cart racer

I was trying to remember the name yesterday but couldn't. I added the lucus stop slip transmission additive about 2 months ago and it helped my tranny big time.

BTW - What I don't like about D4 is that it doesn't redline ( it shifts about 400 rpm's prior to redline ). Let me get this straight....Once you hit max on D3 you upshift to D4 to hit top speed or do you just stay on D4 the whole time?
Wouldn't it take longer to hit top speed by staying on D4 from the get-go versus D3 and then D4?

i would not take longer to get to the top speed if i just stay in D4. her's the thing, when your car is in D3 the computor is not worried about fuel efficiency. it wipes away the overdrive characteristics of keeping it in low rpms for the best gas milage. now D4 if normal driving the computor is trying to maximize fuel economy so in order to do that it shifts to 4th gear to keep the revs low. if you put your foot to the floor the car will down shift and pull just like if you where in D3 but once you let off or get to the gears max speed it will go into the next gear to optimize fuel economy. so it doesn't really matter. if you want something that will have more response then go into D3. there is no difference if you start in D4 or go from D3 to D4 if you have pretty good acceleration. i drive in D4 all the time and when i get on the highway i'm in D4 and and as i push the gas more the car will downshift and begin to pull. so it doesn't matter. the only thing is is that its the computor

D3- loses overdrive completely and computor does not respond to fuel efficieny so it will not shift into 4th gear since it is a "overdrive" gear.
D4- keeps overdrive and is concerned with fuel efficiency until the right amount of gas is applied then it will downshift and pull like it would in D3
Old 02-25-2005, 03:25 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
i would not take longer to get to the top speed if i just stay in D4. her's the thing, when your car is in D3 the computor is not worried about fuel efficiency. it wipes away the overdrive characteristics of keeping it in low rpms for the best gas milage. now D4 if normal driving the computor is trying to maximize fuel economy so in order to do that it shifts to 4th gear to keep the revs low. if you put your foot to the floor the car will down shift and pull just like if you where in D3 but once you let off or get to the gears max speed it will go into the next gear to optimize fuel economy. so it doesn't really matter. if you want something that will have more response then go into D3. there is no difference if you start in D4 or go from D3 to D4 if you have pretty good acceleration. i drive in D4 all the time and when i get on the highway i'm in D4 and and as i push the gas more the car will downshift and begin to pull. so it doesn't matter. the only thing is is that its the computor

D3- loses overdrive completely and computor does not respond to fuel efficieny so it will not shift into 4th gear since it is a "overdrive" gear.
D4- keeps overdrive and is concerned with fuel efficiency until the right amount of gas is applied then it will downshift and pull like it would in D3

Get on the freeway, and gun it in D4. You will notice it shifts into overdrive at 100mph.

Now try it in D3, you will continue to be in 3rd gear all till 110mph (then you can put it in D4). It will pull harder than D4. There is a difference, at that high of speed.

What you are saying about D4 downshifting when you go 100 percent throttle is true. But it is not the same as D3 if you were to race someone above 100mph. And that is because in D4 you will feel a lag once you hit 100mph due to the fact that overdrive engages. It shifts before it hits redline.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Get on the freeway, and gun it in D4. You will notice it shifts into overdrive at 100mph.

Now try it in D3, you will continue to be in 3rd gear all till 110mph (then you can put it in D4). It will pull harder than D4. There is a difference, at that high of speed.
What you are saying about D4 downshifting when you go 100 percent throttle is true. But it is not the same as D3 if you were to race someone above 100mph. And that is because in D4 you will feel a lag once you hit 100mph due to the fact that overdrive engages. It shifts before it hits redline.

FINALLY. Thank you! That's what I wanted to know because the other day I was going to work in the morning and a white four door integra ( non-GSR ) tried racing me. At first I wasn't going to...but then I thought, "there's nothing better than a morning/wake-up adrenaline rush. I was going 60 and he was going about 65 when I gunned it and at the same time he downshifted. I passed him and had him pretty bad until I hit 100, that's when he started catching up to me fast. I was like . At 100 I felt the speed and momentum of the car decrease horribly. By the way I was on D4. I shut it down at 105 because of on-coming traffic but he was right at my door. If there would of not been traffic, i'm almost certain that he would of passed me. He must of thought his car was fast. :rolleyes
Next time he's going to be in for a big surprise. Did I mention that i'm completely stock at the engine. I know he had i/e/ and possibly headers. Anyways thanks for the info. Cocoa!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 PM
AzN-SoLjA

i drive in D4 most of the time just for the gas milage and d3 when im not worried about losing gas and i wanna go...fast. but have you guys ever just drivin in D4 and noticed that the car downshifts every time you let off the pedal so much. try it sometime just drive and once you get your rpms to sumthing like 3 grand or so just let off the pedal and then push it again but not as hard and you can feel it shift just barley...btw i think our cars should be able to do past 140 because i have a 3.0 and my speedo tops at 140 and i was aprox 5 mph past 140 and i was at somewhere between 5 - 6 k, i didnt go any further but i think i could have gotten to 150...correct me if you know somthing i dont about the car but i like thinking about it
Old 03-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

here's the thing D3 utilizes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, gears only and does not go into a over drive mode. D4 uses all four gears but the 4th gear is basically the over drive gear for the highway and for fuel milage so it keeps the engine at low revs. i think max on 1st is 40mph, 2nd is 79mph, and 3rd is 108mph, then 4th will bring you to 137mph which is where our car tops out. if you ever notice on the highway once it hits 4th it really bogs down and takes a while for it to go and get up to that speed.
theres actually an overdrive gear on top of 4th. and ive had mine up to 140+ tho it is kind of scary. its all contrlled by throttle position, fluid pressure, and shaft speed. ur car will go into the overdrive thats over 4th gear after a certain speed, around 120mph. and will not downshift to 4th, regardless of how hard u press the pedal which is why it takes us so long to get to 140+.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by The0FaLLen0
i drive in D4 most of the time just for the gas milage and d3 when im not worried about losing gas and i wanna go...fast. but have you guys ever just drivin in D4 and noticed that the car downshifts every time you let off the pedal so much. try it sometime just drive and once you get your rpms to sumthing like 3 grand or so just let off the pedal and then push it again but not as hard and you can feel it shift just barley...btw i think our cars should be able to do past 140 because i have a 3.0 and my speedo tops at 140 and i was aprox 5 mph past 140 and i was at somewhere between 5 - 6 k, i didnt go any further but i think i could have gotten to 150...correct me if you know somthing i dont about the car but i like thinking about it
me too, but i didn't push it any farther.. i doubt you could have topped that though, b/c or aerodynamics... btw. is it a 3.0 or the 2nd gen? b/c it took me a LONNGGGG time to get it there
Old 03-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Exclamation Ah power...

I think wilp is refering to the lock-up torque converter.

Gate shifting will only hurt your transmission if you...
1. Fail to maintain it (fluid changes).
2. Over rev through a gear too many times...
3. Launch excessively...
4. Down shift too far too many times.

Up and down shifting will not hurt your car unless you are flat abusive. And you know what I mean.

In the 3.0, pushing to redline is "abusive."
I generally will gate shift in slow traffic, on twisties or if I'm challenged for a position in traffic.
I do downshift for highway passing and fast cornering, and I never downshift to 1st untill I am =<1500 rpms because 1st is such a short gear. But believe me when I say that if you fail to use your transmission in the mountains, you will die from brake failure. And if there is a test of a transmission's moxy, mountain driving is it. Pike's Peak ascent/decent from 6800 - 14,700 ft (from experience) will leave you in 2nd and D3 for most of the climb (depending on trafic or number of slow-ass, under-powered RVs) and 2nd and occasionally D3 for most of the way down.

Gated up-shift points 3.0
1st > 2nd @ 3500 rpms (roaring) 30mph
(more than that is hell on the trans and not worth much power or acceloration gain)
2nd > D3 @ 6250 rpms (screaming) 65mph
D3 > D4 @ 6250 rpms (screaming) 105mph
D4 > LUTC @ 5500 rpms (roaring) 120mph
LUTC - REV Limit (wind noise) +140mph

Gated down....
LUTC > D4 NA (you can't control this)
D4 > D3 @ 4000 rpms
D3 > D2 @ 3000 rpms
D2 > D1 @ 1500 rpms

Good luck, have fun.

Oh, good launch technique...
Start in D3 with a torque stall of 2100 rpms
(don't do this very often)
When the car shifts to 2nd, Gate from D3 to 2nd
Hold 2nd untill desired shiftpoint then push to D3 and D4 consecutively.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I SMELL NAWZ

3.0 D3 = 110 mph

not so sure about 1st and 2nd tho

someone wanna go outside for a cruise and find out
Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

D3 + 110mph = 6850rpms = "abuse" = transmission.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM
F1 cart racer

holy old threat batman!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Def repizzle.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Alex's CL

i do 1 2 d3 d4 all the time when i race. 1 with a power brake of 2000+ its a good launhc for me. Then i pop it to second right when im passing 5k rpm then same for D3 leave it there till 100 usually shut down race. On highway if some one tries you and you are less than 100 mph kick it to d3 and you get a crazy kick rather than if you were to have it in D4 i dont suggest kickin in d3 pass 100 sounds not to good the last time i did it. Im saying this all from experience and agarnado is a witness of me using this method of manumatic.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i normally redline in neutral then slam it into 1st when i race. then when im on a hill i do neutral roll back alittle, then d4, back to neutral,d4.

jk i do up/downshift my 3.0.(sometimes abusive )
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
reviving old threads, again.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:34 AM
07 tl-s in

actually i'm gald this was brought back to life i just made a coffee run for work in d3 all the way and . my tranny doesn't feel half as bad. gonna try and stay in d3 see how that works out. only thing that sux is my 17 mpg is now gonna be even less .hummers are gonna get better gas milage than me
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,067 Posts
Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
reviving old threads, again.
s love bringin em back and talkin to people that don't have cl's anymore
Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 AM
07 tl-s in

^^^leave the alone cuz of him i drive in d3 and my tranny hasn't has a hard shift yet. maybe its cured.

yeah right
Old 03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by subbuzz
^^^leave the alone cuz of him i drive in d3 and my tranny hasn't has a hard shift yet. maybe its cured.

yeah right
no
Old 03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
unpimp mein auto

you would think we could figure out gering on by our damn selves considering we drive these bitches everyday......i noticed right away that d4 is only your friend on the highway

actually i noticed my tranny doesnt like anybody and doesnt wanna be my friend, and shit i take 'em for beers all the time...he's just using me
Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 AM
07 tl-s in

Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
no
i know it slipped already but d3 in all feels better than my d4
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Originally Posted by subbuzz
i know it slipped already but d3 in all feels better than my d4
If she's slipping, you're on your way to 2nd trans club, or 2ns Gen, it is only a matter of time.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
6MT Lookin Real Coupish!!

Originally Posted by ajtcl
If she's slipping, you're on your way to 2nd trans club, or 2ns Gen, it is only a matter of time.

If u want to shift gears get a clutch!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
fear and Loathing

Originally Posted by My CL TypeS

If u want to shift gears get a clutch!!!