AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G CL (1997-1999) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/)
-   -   Checking in and some small updates... (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/checking-some-small-updates-975055/)

97BlackAckCL 02-03-2023 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16868865)
I love how meticulous you are.

:werd: I love this thread

rockstar143 02-03-2023 12:41 PM

I thought you'd feel like he comes up short.ijn regards to quantity of repetitive pics depicting the same thing over and over again.

:hide:

Blazin Si 02-06-2023 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16869056)
minimalist approach is always the best way...
repaints almost never look as good as the original paint cleaned up if it can be.

Yeah, I think so too. A good paint job can look nice, but I'm not looking to spend $10k+ on the body work. This car still looks pretty decent and it keeps its luster as long as I wash it regularly and keep a coat of wax on it.

I did get the suspension together over the weekend. There was a bit of frustration with one of the struts when I tried reassembling it on Thursday night. It looks like the very first thread was either pinched or bent which wouldn't allow the locking nut to thread on.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...f55a8dcd7e.jpg

I grabbed an M10 x 1.25 mm die and tried to very carefully hand thread it onto the shaft, but it just wasn't going to work either. Both the nut and the die would immediately get tight and start to sit crooked. I was afraid if I had forced it, it might get cross-threaded and cause even more damage. Defeated, I spent the rest of the night google searching alternative thread repair methods when I came across some information about thread files. I had never seen or heard of this tool before, but it looked like exactly what I needed. I jumped on Amazon and bought one of the mid-priced, Chinese branded metric only kits with next day delivery. This is what showed up.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9b4cfec673.jpg

I have to say that the thread file worked perfectly. I just filed the first few threads a couple of times and the nut screwed right on. The kit also comes with thread repair dies, but I'm not sure what to think of them. They fit so loosely on the threads that I can't see how they would be effective. Maybe this is just a cheap kit so the clearances are poor?

Anyways, the rear suspension is back together and looking as good as new. I lowered the rear roughly half of an inch so now the car sits a little more evenly.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1bc3229d9f.jpg

Blazin Si 02-06-2023 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 16869610)
:werd: I love this thread

I can't wait to see what you have in store for your CL. When do you think that project will pick back up?

Blazin Si 03-09-2023 12:27 PM

So I've been hitting up the local Pull-A-Part to looks for some odd and ends for my CL. I also have plans to do a budget K swap into a different chassis, so I have my phone set up to receive alerts when a first gen TSX hits the yard. I got a text on Tuesday morning that an '07 was available. Today I stopped by to check it out and the motor was already gone.

Anyways, I don't know if any 2nd gen guys browse the 1st gen forum and might find this helpful; but when I was pulling out of the parking lot, there was a flat bed pulling in with an '03 CL. I'm not up to speed on the 2nd gens well enough to tell if it's a manual car by looking at it, but I thought I'd post it here in case someone local was hunting for a 6 speed transmission. The car should be in the yard pretty soon.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d998e0d239.jpg

DaInFaMMuS1 03-10-2023 04:06 PM

I'm both surprised and elated that you still have this car, and it's getting the proper treatment!

97BlackAckCL 03-14-2023 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blazin Si (Post 16870085)
I can't wait to see what you have in store for your CL. When do you think that project will pick back up?

Funny you should ask, May is the 20th anniversary of me owning the Ack, so I definitely have some big things planned for it

Blazin Si 03-14-2023 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1 (Post 16875362)
I'm both surprised and elated that you still have this car, and it's getting the proper treatment!

Hey, good to see you're still around! :cheers: There's still more to do and with the weather changing, things ought to start to pick back up.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 16875842)
Funny you should ask, May is the 20th anniversary of me owning the Ack, so I definitely have some big things planned for it

That's great to hear! I'm right behind ya. It'll be 20 years for me next summer. Where does the time go?

Corweena 03-17-2023 09:57 PM

Love the attention to detail you are showing in bringing back the CL to life!

I've always been intrigued by the 1G CL. I've been a 5G Accord Coupe lover since I picked one up for my first car years ago, and always loved swapping over all the cool luxury extras from the CL into my coupe. My current 97 Coupe has pretty much a full CL interior minus the dash and upper door panels/handles. And I'm currently doing a full rebuild on the car, not unlike yourself. Can't wait to see you continue progress!

rockstar143 03-20-2023 09:17 AM

I know someone selling a 2nd Gen Manual ABP 6MT CL that needs love for a steal of a price... :what: @CLtotheTL32

CLtotheTL32 03-22-2023 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16876868)
I know someone selling a 2nd Gen Manual ABP 6MT CL that needs love for a steal of a price... :what: @CLtotheTL32

:ninja:

@Blazin Si are you still in Charlotte? I remember seeing your CL in person many many years ago, even before I moved from the Raleigh area.

Blazin Si 03-24-2023 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Corweena (Post 16876557)
Love the attention to detail you are showing in bringing back the CL to life!

I've always been intrigued by the 1G CL. I've been a 5G Accord Coupe lover since I picked one up for my first car years ago, and always loved swapping over all the cool luxury extras from the CL into my coupe. My current 97 Coupe has pretty much a full CL interior minus the dash and upper door panels/handles. And I'm currently doing a full rebuild on the car, not unlike yourself. Can't wait to see you continue progress!

I love the styling of the 5th gen Accords. It's still my favorite after all these years although the 10th gens are pretty nice too. Let me know if you post a thread on the rebuild. I'd like to follow it!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32 (Post 16877343)
:ninja:

@Blazin Si are you still in Charlotte? I remember seeing your CL in person many many years ago, even before I moved from the Raleigh area.

I claim Charlotte although I haven't lived in the city limits for many years. I moved to Statesville a while back, but I still work in the north Charlotte area.

I remember that meetup. You had your clean white TL there. I'm sure I still have photos of it on my old computer. I've been following your ABP CL rebuild thread, but I didn't make the connection that you've moved to Charlotte.:doh:

Corweena 03-25-2023 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Blazin Si (Post 16877627)
I love the styling of the 5th gen Accords. It's still my favorite after all these years although the 10th gens are pretty nice too. Let me know if you post a thread on the rebuild. I'd like to follow it!

Yeah, the 5th Gen Accords was the sweet spot. The last Gen that Honda sold the Accord as a single global chassis. And also the only Gen with a decent amount of pretty cool aftermarket options. Nothing compared to the Civics or Integras, but more than the other Gens. HERE is a link to where I have the the basics of the build posted. Its a bit out of date as I haven't really done much to the car itself in about 2 years. I've just continued to purchase parts, and deal with fixing my daily drivers lol. Progress should be ramping up soon though, I'm about to send the shell to get the engine bay repainted. Then work can commence getting the swap installed (motor is already built, just waiting). I actually have a deadline I need to get the car running and driving by, as I'm going to be relocating from California to Chattanooga, TN later this year. Which doesn't seem to be terribly far from you either.

CLtotheTL32 03-25-2023 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Blazin Si (Post 16877627)
I claim Charlotte although I haven't lived in the city limits for many years. I moved to Statesville a while back, but I still work in the north Charlotte area.

I remember that meetup. You had your clean white TL there. I'm sure I still have photos of it on my old computer. I've been following your ABP CL rebuild thread, but I didn't make the connection that you've moved to Charlotte.:doh:

I claim Charlotte but don't reside there either :rofl: I'm in the Monroe area.

What pull-a-part did that ABP CL go to?