CAI questions that haven't been addressed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAI questions that haven't been addressed...

I purchased a 97 Cl 3.0, last January and it's been a great car. I ran across this site awhile back, so I am long-time lurker, first time poster.

I have next to no automotive experience, I can change oil myself, and I have replaced my exhaust system on my rusted out 88 Integra. That about my extent of expertise, but I want to learn and try new things. Of which, when I came across this site, I saw all this hubbub about CAI's. I want to try my hand it putting one in, but have a few concerns.

I searched the forums, and read all post conerning CAI and can't quite get a handle on how they go in. I found a thread that has a detailed explanation and pics but the pics where all red x's. Anyways, if I go through with this, I would like to put an AEM CAI, and depending on the response, maybe the by-pass valve. Saw few threads on wheather you u needed one or not. I live in S. Georgia, and it rains alot, but nothing like extreme flooding or anything. Second, where does the end of CAI go? The wheel well? Saw a few kits for Cold Ram Air, can that be done on the 97 3.0 CL? Never saw a post with someone actually doing a ram CAI. Anyways, my main question is where does the thing end up, obviously somewhere away from the engine compartment. Thirdly, what type of maintinance does one require? I am betting you change/clean the filters more often than normal stock air filters. Fouthly, what is the risk of the filter end coming off? Can something knock the filter off the end or is it physically secured? (i have never seen an CAI assembly in real life)

Also, i still have an extended warrenty on car (up 70K, only at 35K now) will this affect warrenties?

I am intrigued by the tweaking things and not afraid to learn, I have full and cheap access to a garage with all the ammenties, if that will help me. Thanks. If anyone has pics other than top pics of the engine, that would be great.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to the CL family. happy posting

it's good that you are willing to learn.. God knows.. crap gets screwed up anyways.. so you might as well know about your car.

the CAI does not need anything other than what comes with the kit (rubber seals, clamps, bolts?) the hardest part you will find out is taking the stock intake buting out of the car. i would keep it because the dealer will freak when they see a big shiny tube.

the aftermarket intake screws into place of the stock tube without any mods to the surrounding components.

if you choose to go the way of the CAI, and not just a short ram, you will need to take out the palstic that lines the fenderwell, and thus, remove the crappy factory resonator.

if you can change your own oil, you cn swap your intake for an aftermarket.. no problem.

you will not need access to a garage for this because it is very much a driveway job.

if you decide to get pulleys and all that other good stuff you might need to go to a garage where they may have more powerful tools than you have at home.

sorry to be so long-winded. i swear i'm not like this all the time....
welcome again to the family. expect some of the members to be in contact with you about our planned hits on........ oh wait.....
j/k man.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

"I live in S. Georgia"

It doesnt get much further south than Cairo/Thomasville. Where do you live?

BTW, two years with the CAI no bypass. Dont need it.

Get a CAI and put it on. Definately a must have.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:41 PM

Oh yeah. This may help you visualze the CAI and filter.

Old 01-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I am a little further south in Valdosta.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:32 PM

Thats 45 minutes from here. Maybe we can meet up and I can see your CL.

PM me.

Gotta run