Buying a used CL, need feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
9MM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used CL, need feedback.

Hello everyone, I am a new member on this board. I am in the market to purchase a 97 CL- either a 2.2 5sp manual or a 3.0. I was wondering what kind of stuff I need to look for to prevent any headaches- here is a question list I compiled please add anything to it. I need all the advice I can get.

-Most of the vehicles I looked at have over 100,000 miles. So a new waterpump and timing belt should be addressed. All vehicles over 100K- this should be done correct? Even for the piece of mind?

-The 3.0 models, I hear have transmission problems? At this point I dont think I will ever be able to get a recall done on it. What are signs to check for?

-I saw one model that had a cel from a EGR code. How much does this effect the performance of the vehicle?

-2.2 5spds arent as common? I have only seen 2 since looking last month.

Any other things I should look for?

Thanks in advance everyone. I usually freqent Honda-Tech but the CL forum they have on there is hurt. So now I look like a noob
Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
yes the water pump/timing belt should be done after 100k

i say go w/ the 2.2 5spd cuz the 3.0s transmissons are pretty bad, some people on here are on their third tranny

...oh and i have a 2.2 5spd
Old 09-05-2005, 08:42 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
preventative maintanence is always a +...

and if you're looking for the fun of a 5spd manny, go w/the 2.2/2.3

if you're looking for some power, go w/the 3.0. With enough cash though, you can do just about anything with your ride.

Good luck,
-Alex
Old 09-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Bye Bye CL!!!

100K+ water pump and timing belt needs to be done if it hasn't already go with 2.2 or 2.3. 3 liters have tranny issues and 2.2 (5 speed) has treated me well so far. The only thing that may go out is the window regulator (was already changed in mine)... no major issues just take the preventative measures to keep U and the car happy; snapped timing belt = bent valves. I love my 2.2... If ur looking for speed these cars are heavy but with enuff $$$$$$ anything can be fast.

Well Good luck
Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

3.0 owns 2.x but I have to say the transmission woe is the biggest issue. If you get the 5 sp, just check for a couple of small recalls. Ignition and ball joint. Window regulators on the 97s, both 2.x and 3.0 suck. With 3.0, check the maintenance schedule for the transmission. Drain and fill the fluid to get a look at it. If it is graphite colored or burned smelling, you prolly don't want it. If the fluid is mildly orange or pink, you are in good shape. Shifting in the 3.0 with a bad transmission is iratic and harsh at low speeds. It will also give the sensation of a slipping slutch. Well, in essance, that is what it is. So drive it, and have it checked over. Run the VIN through Carfax and the local Acura dealer. The dealer can tell you if all recalls are done on it. If you get either CL, make sure to get the Premium package... leather, heated seats and mirrors, BOSE audio... On that, get rid of the stock head unit and put in what ever suites you. Pretty much any aftermarket deck will mate with the propper harness to the BOSE amps but in most cases the stereo steering wheel controls won't work. No other issues. I love my car. She is a 98 3.0 CL Premium. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 AM
9MM
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies everyone. Pretty much answered everything I needed to know.

I really want a 2.2 5sp. over a 3.0 but so far I havent found too much in locating one, so we will see how it goes. Alot of people have just told me to go with an Accord EX coupe as they say its pretty much the same thing except a downgraded version of the CL.

Any info on the EGR problem?

Also a few 97's both 2.2 and 3.0 with over 100K I have encountered range from lowest $4200-$5500+. Is that the average going value?

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 AM
That's unacceptable.

CLs are all good cars, don't see too many of them on the road, and due to not having the best resale, make a great value for the used car buyer. If performance is a priority (and you have the $$ for a possible transmission replacement), get the 3.0. If you're more economy-minded, get the 2.2 or 2.3. I have a 2.3 auto, but given the rising fuel costs and the tranny issues with the 3.0 (the 3.0 does require premium fuel, BTW- at least it's recommended), I went with the 2.3. I guess it really depends on the individual car and availability in your particular area.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by 9MM
Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies everyone. Pretty much answered everything I needed to know.

I really want a 2.2 5sp. over a 3.0 but so far I havent found too much in locating one, so we will see how it goes. Alot of people have just told me to go with an Accord EX coupe as they say its pretty much the same thing except a downgraded version of the CL.

Any info on the EGR problem?

Also a few 97's both 2.2 and 3.0 with over 100K I have encountered range from lowest $4200-$5500+. Is that the average going value?

Thanks again.

yea... thats about the average price. If you prucahse a CL with that much milage, just make sure you can take it to a mechanic to make sure everything is clean mechanically. Otherwise, these things are built to last.

-Alex
Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) is not that big a deal. It will affect your fuel milage and make the car idle improperly. It is not hard to repair, and the new valve component will run you around $80. Most shops will remove it and spray carb cleaner on and in it to remove debris and build up. I would suggest doing a SeaFoam treatment. that would clear it up... also, if you do that, you will need to reset the ecu. The problem is centered around carbon that has blocked the valve diaphram from opening or closing properly. In some cases, the vacume line that controls the diaphram can be damaged... but most likely it is carbon build up. Either way, the EGR is not hard to fix and is a comon issue with Honda/Acura cars of that age.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Safety Car

actually the fix is to remove the entire intake manifold and clean out the port. mine was plugged totally, but it only took bout 15 min to fix. ive had this problem for bout 1.5 years and never had a problem besides the cel commin on every 2 weeks.