Brain dead... little help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:49 PM
there's a festiva in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brain dead... little help please

Ok heres where i stand. I am attempting to install these reverse glow gauges. I got the plexi off and now im looking at the black oem gauges. I assume that im suppose to put the aftermarket ones on top...? Then after that where the hell am i going to put the wires that come off of the individual gauges? The four of them need to come out somewhere...
Also.. am i suppose to cut the dimmer switch cables 2 red and 1 black one or splice them? I would appreciate any input on this. I searched and searched but i couldnt find anything to help me out.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 PM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

courtesy of rmstoico's indiglo install post:

1. you have to take out all the screws in the framing around gauge cluster. you will also need to pull the panel under the steering column to get to screws. there isnt that many screws, and it is easy, you will see which ones you need to remove to get the framing out. you will also need to remove the cruise control button fixture and the dimming fixture. stick a thin straighthead in the slots to pull these out. once these are removed, there are more screws holding the framing in inside these holes, it took me a while to figure out why the framing wasnt coming out, but it will take you 2 minutes to get these out. then there are some screws and 2 metal frames holding the actual instrument cluster into the dash which you will need to remove. the metal frames on on the top of the cluster, and will need to be removed if you are not removing the steering wheel. i recommend you dont remove it, i didnt and it only takes 1 minute to take the metal frames off.

2. once you get the instrument cluster unscrewed, pull the plugs off the top of the cluster. i think there is 3 plugs, and dont worry about marking them, they only fit in their corresponding plugs.

3. once the cluster is in your lap, you will need to remove the clear case and the bezel around the gauges. ummm, i hope i dont need to tell you how to do this, look at the cluster and you can figure it out. you also want to take out the light bulbs on the back of the instrument cluster that light the 4 gauges at night. ONLY TAKE THESE LIGHTS OUT, AND LEAVE THE OTHER BULBS IN BECAUSE THEY LIGHT THE GEAR POSITION AND OTHER WARNING LIGHTS. you need to take the gauge bulbs out (the little brown fixtures) because the light will shine through the new gauges, and you dont want that because the indiglo gauges are self-lighting. the bulbs for the 4 gauges are directly behind the gauges themselves.

4. dont try to pull the needles off, they dont come off!!! simply slide the gauge over the long part of the needle, then press down the front of the gauge where the long part of the need is so the gauge hole goes as far under the need as it can, then you need to pull the gauge hole over the back of the needle. be careful, and remember the gauges will bend, the needles dont. and dont paint your needles, it screws up your reading.

5. here is the tip of the century. dont waste your time trying to find which pin is your accessory lighting power and ground. just plug your power for the gauges into the back of the panel dim wire harness. there are 2 red wires, either one will work. and plug the negative into the back of the harness into the only black wire. this will turn your gauges on when you turn your parking lights on.

6. put everything back.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
just be careful NOT to BREAK the needles, I broke my damn temp guage, luckily it was a cheap fix, it wouldnt have been so if i broke the tach or speedo.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
there's a festiva in

thanx but that didnt quite answer my question. I really dont want to pay someone to do this. It seems doable.....
Old 09-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Banned

to run the wires i removed the old bulbs from the back of the cluster and ran them through there...hope that helps
Old 09-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Instructor

I just spliced into the dimmer switch so they turn on when you turn on the lights really easy to do. I remember one time I did them on my friends accord and hooked them up to his interior lights and they would only turn on when he opened his door, then the guages would turn off when he closed it. Funny moments in DIY installs.