Ball Joint Recall? Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004 | 04:14 PM
Instructor

Ball Joint Recall? Help

Please help me figure out if there was a ball joint recall on Acura 3.0CL 1998 with 55000 miles.

If i'm correct the ball joint was a safety problem thus the recall or dealers just fixed them.

The stories i read was ball joints came apart and people driving them at highway speeds lost control of the steering and hit the guardrails totaling the car.
I'm buying the 98 CL 3.0 got it checked out found it was pulling left quite a bit and the ball joint was checked by my mechanic and found a little bit play in them. My mechanic recommends me having them replaced.
The problem is the dealer where i'm buying it is not going to replace both ball joints. I told them about the recall of ball joints from or a secret warranty but the acura dealer says no only a egr valve and backing plate. With no service history the original owner has no idea of service of ball joints. The service documentation the original owner left was all in the glove box but nothing was found in it. A background history check was made no ball joint recall work was done only egr valve.

What should i do if i buy the car i probably have to replace both ball joints costing me even more money only to add the extra cost to a car that is becoming a money pit before i even own it?

I'll try Honda Canada see if i can force some kind of movement of replacing the ball joint but i will expect the worse. The Acura dealers are yes men so maybe through Honda head office i can make it happen. But i will lose the car after tommorow if i can't get the neccesary information because the dealer wants an answer if i buying or not. So if anyone has information that helps me it will save me in losing a car that is quite nice.
Old 07-05-2004 | 05:02 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

i dont think there is a recall at all for the ball joint

there is only the egr recall and the emmission warrenty extensions

youll have to fork out the cash to pay for the ball joints, now that i think of it, i replaced mine 2 years ago, both in front

so welcome to the club
Old 07-05-2004 | 05:22 PM
Instructor

Found out from customer service at Honda Acura that a warranty exist for 5 years 62 000 miles or 100000 km.
So i phoned the acura dealer who serviced the car and sold it new. They have no records of it but there service of the car might of been a long time ago and they say records of service don't go back that long. I talked with a rep at the acura dealer they say not likely they would cover the cost of the ball joints even for goodwill. But i told her maybe you can buy the parts from Honda customer service they can give a discount and i will pay the labour of the job dealer rate at $150/hr. That sucks but whats my alternative, no car?
Talked to the dealer of the car i'm buying about this it but he is not prepared to fix it. Or even to talk to the district manager about the parts and labour. He says Honda dealers (where i'm buying the car from) and Acura dealers have to seperate deals with Honda customer service so they each fix there own brand of cars.
So i have to buy the car first take it to the acura dealer then they can see the problem and work something out. Which means i will pay and pay and pay no guarantees.

what should i do walk away? mint car
Old 07-06-2004 | 02:47 AM
Safety Car

depends on how much the car is pulling to the left. Mine is doing the same thing, but VERY VERY little pull. If it's mint and it's a good deal, then just have them knock a bit off the price for the pull problem, then go spend that same amount on fixing it. go talk to the neaerest acura dealership, get a quote from them on replacement, then have hte dealer you are buying from remove that price from the purchase price. If they say no, then say fine. I'll go elsewhere, and leave. I've had dealers stop me from walking out before, so if you are stern then they'll do it. Can't be much more than $500 anyways, so I'm sure they would knock that off.