Alternator and Whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:07 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator and Whine

Hi,

I have a 98 CL (80k miles) and yesterday my "Charge Battery" light came on for about 10 minutes while driving. Right around then I also noticed a not very loud whining noise (or whir) that escalated in pitch when I accelerated. When evening came around, I also noticed the dashboard lights are very dim when I'm at idle but brighten up when I accelerate.

Also when I turned the car on (ignition switch to III), the charge battery no longer comes on.

The whirring noise is there whether or not the AC is on as well.

I'm trying to figure out if this is (most likely?) an alternator issue? I've had the battery changed a few months ago.

Any advise? I'm planning on taking it to Autozone to get the alternator checked.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,463 Likes on 3,057 Posts
The light that you're refering to is an electrical system light, not a charge battery light, it means that something is wrong with the charging system. ie alternator, have that sucker checked, I lost my alternator and almost died because my car shutoff and started rolling backwards down a steep ass hill. Any shop can test your electrical system to see how many amps it's putting out.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a tipical Alternator failure. Mine failed about a month ago. Not a horribly expensive part. You can get it for around $140... But there is a core charge, I think it was another $30.00, but you get that back when you bring in the old one. Don't worry, it is a common problem and happens to almost any Honda or Acura at some point.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,463 Likes on 3,057 Posts
Originally Posted by ajtcl
That is a tipical Alternator failure. Mine failed about a month ago. Not a horribly expensive part. You can get it for around $140... But there is a core charge, I think it was another $30.00, but you get that back when you bring in the old one. Don't worry, it is a common problem and happens to almost any Honda or Acura at some point.
especially when systems are involved, I killed mine before I had a farrad cap, didn't even have the system in the car at the time.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 AM
4th Gear

I figured as much. Thanks for the confirmation.

I went to the local Autozone and boy, customer service sucks. They can't test my alternator in the car and told me I had to take it into the store since someone "broke" their testor.

Unmotivated to even a little desire to help.

I can get a remanufacturered alternator for $129 +tax + $30 core charge and am thinking about swapping it out myself. Any advise?

Thanks again folks!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Shouldn't take long, the alternator sits right up front on the 3.0. Pretty straight forward. And yes, that price is about right. I like O'Reilly's better for service. But you can swap it yourself in about 45 minutes. Be careful not to overtighten the bolts, if you fuck those threads up, you will hate yourself. Be sure to torque them to spec.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:51 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ajtcl
Shouldn't take long, the alternator sits right up front on the 3.0. Pretty straight forward. And yes, that price is about right. I like O'Reilly's better for service. But you can swap it yourself in about 45 minutes. Be careful not to overtighten the bolts, if you fuck those threads up, you will hate yourself. Be sure to torque them to spec.
I just took a look at it and it looks daunting only because I've never done it before. Here's how I understand what needs to be done:
  1. Remove battery cover
  2. Disconnect negative, then positive battery cable
  3. Remove the front engine cover
  4. Remove the accessory drive belt by pulling back on the tensioner
  5. Remove the A/C condenser fan shroud assembly
  6. Disconnect the ground cable
  7. Disconnect the wiring from the alternator
  8. Remove the alternator and bracket assembly
  9. Install

How to do step 4 and 5? I'm not sure how to take the radiator fan out? I can remove the screws on the top, but I can't seem to pull it out?

Name:  acura.jpg
Views: 5105
Size:  84.3 KB
Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

It helps if you can put the car up on a lift. There are polts on the bottom of the shroud.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
4th Gear

well fixed! i was hoping replacing the alternator would fix this other issue i'm having with the car: whenever i turn on my signal lights, the dash board lights would dim and brighten as the signal light is blinking.

does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? i've had this ever since i bought the car new. i'm thinking this might be a grounding issue?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got an whining noise three weeks ago, and yesterday the car died out on me while on idle. Good thing i was just in the parking lot with a few friends taking pictures of the car. Went to my uncles shop and they used a tester and said the alternator died out so he's changing it for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Originally Posted by inkspoof
well fixed! i was hoping replacing the alternator would fix this other issue i'm having with the car: whenever i turn on my signal lights, the dash board lights would dim and brighten as the signal light is blinking.

does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? i've had this ever since i bought the car new. i'm thinking this might be a grounding issue?
Sounds like your multi-combo switch has a short in it... That switch has so many little moving parts. But, you probably don't want to fix that yourself... It requires removing the SRS (airbag) from the sterering wheel and removal of the wheel to change out that part.