Alarms...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001 | 04:03 AM
Adrienne

Alarms...

Can anyone suggest a decent alarm? And is there any way to get an alarm programmed into our fob? Because I hate every alarm fob I've ever seen; they're all ugly as hell. I have my fob programmed to chirp, which makes people THINK I have an alarm, but there's some ruffians in my neighborhood and once I put wheels on my car, I am gonna want something that will go off if they come around trying to steal them.

Here's my qualifications... it needs to be really sensitive; my boyfriend just bought an alarm for his teg that doesn't go off unless you like, break the window; we tried it out, opening the door, and it didn't go off.. yuck.

And it has to do the whole ignition cut-off thing, and if it can't be programmed into our fob, I want the fob it comes with to work like ours, with trunk release, and separate door unlocks (I don't wanna be running to my car away from a rapist or something and unlock the passenger door for him at the same time I unlock my door)...

I know these are steep qualifications but ya know. I'm picky. Really though, even if yours doesn't meet them all, just let me know what you guys have, because I need to get one soon.
Old 06-03-2001 | 04:20 AM
Pro

I'm personally looking at the Alpine Alarms just because they will work with my existing stereo/DVD. BUT I have looked at their top of the line alarm and it does a lot of stuff. Not sure if it can do everything you want but it comes close. It's gonna set you back about 8 bills. Look at Alpineamerica.com

------------------
Mike Swing
Old 06-03-2001 | 04:47 AM
Safety Car

Yeah...its really hard to get the stuff you want. Trust me, I want to be able to integrate the alarm into the acura key fob too!

If you want top of the line, look at the clifford avantguard4. I think 1k installed.

I am currently testing out to see if the Aladdin 2000 alarm is any good...think the link is Aladdin

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:16 PM
Racer

Hey whats up? When I got my car I was looking for alarms that would keep my stuff from getting stolen especially my rims. On my prevouse cars I have always used VIPER alarms. Viper is a good alarm but I wanted a little more high end alarm. So, I went with the Clifford AvantGuard 4. It has everything. Remote start, truck pop, Window roll up, NightVision, Prox Senors, You can hook the alarm up to a labtop and custom program the alarm(if you buy that software $80), Also when you lock your car the alarm sets it self to the level of the ground so that it its towed or jacked up when some tries to steel your rims. The add-on options great. Add the CarCom2 on it and you can do everything the remote does, but from a cell phone as well as track your car. If someone steals your car which would be amazing with this alarm, you can call it and find out its exact location how fast its going and in what direction. If you add SmartWindows you can roll your windows down with the remote.

I payed about $950 for the alarm, install, and the remote trunk release(doesn't come wiht the alarm but its only a $30 add on)
CarCom2 is $500
and SmartWindows is about $200

I am happy with my alarm and can't wait to get the other options put on. If you have a ? about any of this you know where to find me. Here is cliffords website.
www.clifford.com
Old 06-03-2001 | 02:19 PM
Adrienne

Wow... thanks.

I was looking on the viper website, and apparently you can like, customize a Hornet alarm, and I customized one and it came out to be like $350, which is a lil bit more in my price range. Does anyone know bout that one? What you said about that other one is great, but uh... if I buy that then I won't have that $$ to do the stuff to my car that will require an alarm. I mean, I will eventually, but I'd prefer sooner than later. Anyway...

thanks for the responses everyone. I love you guys.
Old 06-03-2001 | 03:36 PM
HP
Advanced

Careful about spending your money. These alarms do losts of things and costs a lot...but I personally feel they don't do jack when it comes to pretecting your car. If you got rims and some thieves want em; they will steal your vehicle and strip it elsewhere.

Even though expensive alarms have lots of doodads, 99% of shops install them in an "average" manner meaning they put the brain right where the thieves expect it to be. A cheapo alarm but installed very well is 10x better than a fancy alarm installed normally. Find an alarm expert that will hide the brain and do some trick wiring. It will be expensive. Good luck because I havent found any shop that'll do this for me.

The reason am so "negative" is because I had a Civic that was hooked up to the max. It was jacked regardless of the Club, alarm, dual point starter kill, dual vibration sensors, dome light monitor, etc.
SO now I dont have anything but the factory security. I am just extremely careful about where I park my car.

Good luck.

Anybody know any good alarm install shops?

------------------
ProKits...Iceman...DC 4-2-1 header...and Greddy Power Extreme
Old 06-03-2001 | 03:42 PM
Racer

Clifford as less expensive alarms closer to your price range. And the CarCom2 can be add to any of them. With the carcom2 even if the car is stolen you can track and find where its at becuase it has a GPS built in to it.
Old 06-03-2001 | 05:21 PM
AWD Torque Monster

the one thing i hate about clifford is that with the remote start it cant page u back to tell u ur car satrted or not. u have to actually see ur car to knwo if its on or not.

------------------
1997 Black Acura 2.2 CL
Currently-
PIAAs Everywhere, PIAA 1700X, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, OE Spoiler,
5% Tints (Limo), HKS Super Dragger Exhaust, AEM CAI w/Breather,
Venom 400
Comming Soon-
Headers or Ignition, Front Lip
http://members.home.net/vx16
Old 06-03-2001 | 09:44 PM
Instructor

All the keyless entry and "security" systems that Honda and Acura put in their cars are made by Alpine. I can get in touch with Alpine on monday to see if our fobs will work with their mass market systems, I think I remember my rep talking about that one time. Any info I get I will relay back to you guys and girls, I think that would be the way to go if I was to change my alarm, but I live in hickville, these people here dont even know what an Acura is, let alone do they know how to steal stuff from it... besides, what the hell are they gonna put some 18" rims on... their 1974 Dodge pick-up??

------------------
1997 ACURA 3.0 CL PREMIUM

Apex-i cat-back Exhaust, AEM Intake, Clear Bumper Lenses, 18" ADR Cyrax rims, Ground Control Coilovers, Wings West Chin Spoiler, Acura Rear spoiler, Piaa Fog Lights, Tinted Windows, Boston Acoustics tweets, mids and subs.
Old 06-05-2001 | 09:48 PM
Pro

Adrienne,

Truth is if someone really wants something off your car they will take it. Alarms don't do jack....doesn't matter how much it costs. Even if you have a lojack one ur car is stolen...you're probably guaranteed to get ur car back...as a shell.

If it's ur rims ur concerened about....get 4 sets of wheel locks I'm sure no one wants to go to the trouble of stealing the rims than. I've seen a picture of a torn apart ITR... all that's left was the rims cause he had 5 wheel locks on there... heh heh

My roomate just got a Viper 500 for like $300 installed.

See you on Saturday

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
rubber tires, windshield wipers, headlights, horn, steering wheel, BRAKE PEDAL, clutch, brake pads, driver seat, passenger seat, back seat, front windshield, rear windshield (with defroster), lumbar support, cruise control, intermitent wiper control, sun roof (tinted), engine, pistons (only 4), emergency brake handle, trunk w/ tools, spare tire