Aerospeed front mount intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 04:36 PM
What can I get ya?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerospeed front mount intake

Has anyone heard anything about these, I dont know if they have one for a cl, but my friend is thinking about getting one for his prelude. It seems like a good idea, there is alot of air hitting right there.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:08 PM
Instructor

looks cool! i would get one if they have one for cl... it looks like you need a real good filter for this intake
Old 03-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Cause stock sux.

Just curious...Would rain be a problem?
Old 03-21-2002, 05:29 PM
What can I get ya?

Now that you mention it, it would probably be a big problem. There would have to be some sort of by-pass valve built into that. Oh- I know, you just cant drive it outdoors. I knew there was a catch somewhere.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Everybody Wang Chung

They make one for the 94-97 accord. It has a plexiglass cover over the front for the street that you can take off when you race. I would think that water would be a problem though.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:34 PM
What can I get ya?

Arospeed Cold Front Intake Systems are designed to be mounted in the front of the vehicle, allowing cool, clean air to enter the intake system. Each intake system features a removable Lexan window, which helps protect the filter element from hazards; however, during race situations, it can be easily removed, providing the car with a complete and direct source of air. Each kit includes an aluminum polished filter box, filter element, mounting hardware, Lexan window, full intake piping and all necessary silicone hoses/reducers to make your installation an easy one. This kit will add 8-12 hp to your car.

There is what it said in the description. Now that I read about it, it seems like a piece of shit to me. It has a Lexan window that can be removed during race situations? How in the hell does air get in when the window is on then? Seems like the only purpose it serves is tricking poor defensless ricers into thinking you have an intercooler. Leave it to arospeed to come up with a non-functional cold air intake system. morans
Old 03-21-2002, 06:55 PM
fuh-Q

i agree with moforose3.0. but im sure arospeed :wackit: has fooled some people into buying one! i contemplated getting one for my civic when they came out but had the same doubts. i mean what are u supposed to do, say you pull up to a light and want to run with someone, i dont think the light or the other car is going to wait for you to jump out and take off the window!
Old 03-21-2002, 07:06 PM
i like chicken

THEY ARE JUNK!

not to sound rude, but do any of you understand the principle behind an air intake? everyone thinks a cold air intake is best way to gain easy hp, but a short ram is just as efficient in many applications, and better is some too. i am putting my bottom dollar that unless an engine gets extremely hotter than the average engine during driving, short ram intakes are more efficient in all applications.

the longer the intake pipe, the less pressure you have built up, and the more air you have lagging in the intake, the less air you feed your engine. these arospeed junk boxes have about 22 feet worth of pipe down to the front of the car, which means major pressure loss!!!!!!!! they look stupid IMO because they are half the size of a front mount IC and do not resemble one at all, and the lexan window allows no air. with the window off, you run some serious hydro lock issues.

i put intakes on cars every week, i keep track of what intakes perform better, and i will tell you guys to stay away from this at all costs.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
It also makes your car look like it has an intercooler. I saw one on an Accord and I was like, cool a turbo charged Accord and then found out it was just a filter. I thought it was lame to look you have something you don't.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Ham Sandwich

not to start an argument.. but if your getting cold air into the engine.. even if you have to run a few more feet of pipe.. its better then sucking in hot air.. like taking a headlight out and having your filter right behind the light.. like some supras.. but yah ross is dead on about the arospeed thing its a waste
Old 03-21-2002, 11:20 PM
i like chicken

Originally posted by f0de
not to start an argument.. but if your getting cold air into the engine.. even if you have to run a few more feet of pipe.. its better then sucking in hot air.. like taking a headlight out and having your filter right behind the light.. like some supras.. but yah ross is dead on about the arospeed thing its a waste
i agree with your argument f0de, but here are 2 things to consider against what you just said. yes cold air is better for your engine, even with pressure loss, BUT:

1) on street legal cars traveling about 15-25 miles an hour the entire engine bay is swept of warm air. while driving the force of air on your car vents your engine bay. mos people dont realize this but i have even found tests on this. at 70 mph a cold air is useless against a short ram. now this factor differs obviously depending what engine you are running and the characteristics of the front end, but you get the point. proof? ever see heat waves coming off a hood while the car is driving? NO, only in bumper to bumper traffic

2) race cars remove headlights and run cold air intakes alot more SIMPLY FOR THE FACT that race engines produce up to 5 times the heat of a street car. so in this case, the heat is more predominant and the cai will utilize the cold air more efficiently. thats why i tell people that want the magnecor 10 mm race wires that they are wasting their time. the only difference is in the rubber shielding, the inner cores are the exact same as the 8.5mm. proof? already talked to a tech at magnecor about 6months back and he explained this in more detail.

so your right f0de, but to a point, there are factors involved. at idle, the cold air is more efficient 90% of the time. while driving is a different story.

one company that has dynoed every cai vs. short ram intake they sell is weapon r, believe it or not. if you call them and tell them your car they will tell you which intake is more efficient for that car via past dyno results. youd be surprised.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Ham Sandwich

aren't we all building race engines? .. speaking of which.. i dropped the motor in tonight.. just waiting on shiftlinkage and some other random things...