[Newbie with a problem!!] Power Seats on a 98 V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 05:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Newbie with a problem!!] Power Seats on a 98 V6

Hi, all!

I have owned 2 Preludes(92 Si & 94 VTEC) and 2 Accords (89 DX & 91 LX) before getting a Vette, so I am not alien to Honda/Acura tech. A few here may recognise my handle, I have used it on the hondaprelude.com, corvetteforum.com, grassrootsmotorsports.com and a few other car related sites.

With all that said... My mom's 1998 CL V6 is experiencing a problem with its power drivers seat.

She bought the car a year ago December as a lease return. It is an Acura certified used car. She got a great deal on it and is generally very happy with the car. It is spooky fast... so quiet, you never know your doing 80 until the lites commence to flashing in the rear view.

A lovely car all around.

However, not long after getting the car, the power seat memory module fried. This stopped the seat from going fore-and-aft, the seat back from reclining or the rear elevation from going up and down. The only control that continues to funcition is the thigh elevator. The repair was covered under the 12 month/12k mile bumper to bumper warrantee.

Yesterday evening, the seat quit again... this indicates to me that one of two things are happening:

1) there is a bigger problem with the seat system than just a bad memory module.

2) the modules are inherently a POS.

I was able to fiddle with some wire and such to make the seat go forward again... but I don't wanna get into the habit of replacing this module every year or so... nor do I want to have to control the fore-aft motion from the thigh elevator switch...

The rest of the circuit still works - power/heated mirrors and the aforementioned thigh support. Hence, the fuse ain't blown.

All of that leads me to the $64,000.00 question:

Is this a known problem with these cars? What is it indictive of?

Thanks in advance!!!

andy
Old 02-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

well.... the module might be a piece of crap. i dont think too many people have had this problem before with the modules.

a more common problem is with the power-window regulator.

maybe someone that had a problem can chime in on this one. hasnt happened to me as of yet.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:41 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for your assistance... I hope to learn more at the dealer on Monday... God willing and the snow don't fall - again.

I will let the forum know what I learn!