$80 to install some GOD DAMN HOOD PINS!!!! WORTH IT?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Miss th 3.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this might be a very very stupid question, but if the hood is supposed to curl up in the middle from the wind, then if you had the stock latch on, then technically wouldnt you want the hood pins in the middle of the hood on the edges so they dont curl up?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
CF hoods flying up are about as common as threads with people saying their wheel fell off while they were driving. Both are 99% of the time due to improper installment or completely inferior parts
Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by wakeboardfusion
this might be a very very stupid question, but if the hood is supposed to curl up in the middle from the wind, then if you had the stock latch on, then technically wouldnt you want the hood pins in the middle of the hood on the edges so they dont curl up?

I'd think adding a support brace to the middle of the hood would be a much better option
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by wakeboardfusion
im left but we all have to stop this bickering, we are starting to look like a civic or integra forum

I thought it was threads like this that made us look like a civic or integra forum

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175617

But I hear ya
Old 11-14-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by CLpower
Yes, quality has EVERYTHING to do w/ using hood pins or not hoodpins

Sorry

The pictures of the CF hood I showed you has no hoodpins, and the car it is on often spends time at 200+ mph w/ zero issues. (and i'm not talking about quick spirts to 200; the car avg's 190+ through 130+ miles of ORR racing in Nevada)
What picture?

Here's a car with hoodpins.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
teh Senior Instigator

this one

what's your point by posting pics of that car w/ hood pins
Old 11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

^ i think its cuz that one civic looks like it spends a lot of time going fast... and even that civic would require hood pins?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by recycledpaper
^ i think its cuz that one civic looks like it spends a lot of time going fast... and even that civic would require hood pins?

well, then go back to me telling you the one I posted has been GPS'd at 216 and averages 190+ in 130 straight miles of ORR racing

The civic most likely doesn't have a latch as they are shooting for as much weight savings as possible, hence the need for hood pins

I'll break it down for you. If the hood is made properly, you WILL NOT need hood pins. If it is not made properly or is installed wrong, then hood pins come into play

The only problem is, you won't know if you installed it wrong until it flies up and hits you. There are MANY MANY MANY MANY people out there w/o hood pins on CF hoods w/ ZERO problems.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

^ i completely agree with you on that... and i honestly believe that one hood you have doesnt need hood pins cuz cmon, you paid a few K for that sucker! if i paid a few K for a CF hood and it flew up on the highwayy, i would NOT be a happy customer.

$460 for CF is a cheap price to pay compared to DRY carbon hoods and all that good stuff (i believe dry carbon is easily 5g's for this one bimmer). but i guess when it comes down to it, if you're afraid of losing $460 on the highway, hood pins are the way to go. if you feel VIS did a good job, dont use em...

for me i'm goign with them. unfortunately they ARE ugly and ruin the lines, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your peace of mind when you're driving

my
Old 11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
teh Senior Instigator

I'm talking about most hoods on civics and integs not using hood pins. And they aren't using 3K hoods. But if you feel you need them, go for them. I'd be pissed if I shed out money on a hood and it didn't function properly.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Banned

well i've always matched hood pins with CF hoods... i wasnt pissed when i was told i needed pins cuz i was sort of expecting it, all my friends cars have pins..

now if the hood flies off WITH the hood pins on... THEN i will be VERY pissed
Old 11-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Racer

1. Your car has to be fast to even need hood pins (cl's are not fast)
2. hood pins are gay
Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by baka_t
How many cases are there actually of cf hoods flying up on the freeway? All the people I know with cf hoods never flew up they are all VIS hoods. Better get some real facts before you go ahead and drill into your brand new hood and have to deal with ugly hoodpins forever.
VIS does recommend hood pins.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Think about it.
You are taking off a steel hood with a metal to metal latch and putting on a CF hood that now has a metal latch holding onto a piece of carbon fiber. CF is the weakest link. If anything is going to break it is going to be the carbon fiber piece, and there goes the hood.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Instructor

is your car fast?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:15 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
^ thats what i was thinknig too.. but my friend said that the locking ones tend to wiggle around more and have a chance of lining up with the opening even without the key =/

hood pins with the thread/hole design are secure beccause when you insert them through the opening, you flip over the ring. its designed so once its flipped over, the wind or vibrations wont be able to flip it over since it requires a LOT of force to flip over manually (its hard to move it around)
Can anyone else comfirm the fact that the "locking style" wiggle around and "unlock" themselves? I have never heard this before...actually ive only heard good things about the locking style...but im just afarid because if they do wiggle around and "unlock themselves" thats just like not even using hoodpins because once they unlock themselves, nothings holding it down.....right?

Couldnt you just thread/screw the long bolt down more onto the core support? It'd prob be a bitch to unlock them because theyd be soo tight (prob have to push down a little to lock em) but in that case, then they woudnt unlock themselves....can anyone comfirm this??
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
teh Senior Instigator

the hood pins will hold it down
Old 11-14-2005, 09:08 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
soo whats the consensus on the type/style of hood pins? I personally think I'd like the locking style better...but i donno how it will look with that 1.5" round chrome locking plate ontop of the CF.

But yea...I need help deciding ASAP! My hood wasnt suppost to be here until Wed....buutttt

I got a call today..the hood arived 2 days earily. Im going tomorrow to check it out, but I wont be getting it installed until Thur.
So I have 2 days to get some pins. Please help me decide. The sooner I decide, the sooner I can get the hood installed,

And then everyone can FINALLY see what a CF hood looks like on a Black CL.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 PM
teh Senior Instigator

personally, I like the ones you have to put a key in, very flat
Old 11-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Miss th 3.0

Old 11-15-2005, 01:02 AM
The movement has started

how do i act like this is my forum? it is obvious its not my forum.. i said i dont value YOUR opinion, do you have to get butt hurt about my comments? do i care why you don't post? you did not answer my question, you just answered with ANOTHER irrelevant comment. and you say my views and opinions are more wack than the so-called "og's"... so ok mr. original gangster, whats so wack about views and opinions? is it wack because it differs from yours? why dont you point out the og's on the forums and we'll see how far their opinions are from my own. what you need to do is stop thinking just cuz you're an older member that you have the right to say whatever you can pull out of your ass and just have people agree with you.

good going.. you've managed to argue with the intelligence of a 12-year old.
Your telling me what I can and cannot do hence "acting like your forum" Well I personally dont value your opinion either. I care about all the new threads you constantly post and clutter up the forum I think it's a waste of bandwidth actually. Get an online journal if you wish to bitch about how much it costs to get hood pins installed IMO shit like that don't belong here. I think alot of the og's have different opinions than yours. Look at the way the chose to styled their cars and look at yours......... I have no rights on this forum only the moderators have rights. No one has to agree with me actually I wish someone would make a thread "am I the only one that don't like baka_t's car". The only one pulling shit out of their ass is you noob.

As far as the 12yr old comment this just shows your age. You are still immature and your post shows it in every way.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:06 AM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by TampaBayCLS
VIS does recommend hood pins.
Obviously it's a disclamier so if some idiot installs their hood wrong they don't go try and sue vis. Just like the sticker that says "off road use only". I was just stating I knew people with vis hoods that dont have pins and never had any problems.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:10 AM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by CLpower
good to see there are a few of us left
I know were an endangered species. All the rice is contaminating our environment.

Ghander to the rescue.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:15 AM
CL 4 LYFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheres that picture someone made quote " acurazine - we know drama"
Old 11-15-2005, 01:35 AM
The new ride

i dont think i'd use the hoodpins..
seriously, it would take a lot of force to break the latch on the cf hood.. i mean its not like its gonna slip out of place, there would have to be enough force on the bottom of the hood to actually break the latch off, its made of fiberglass right? well i think it should be plenty strong.
when you're going that fast, how much air can actually get under the hood causing an upward force? remember, theres a LOT more air flowing on top of the hood causing a DOWNWARD force.
go out to your car and pop the hood, instead of unlatching it, just try to pull it up, see how strong the latch is. i really dont think the wind can put much force on the underside of the hood, def. not enough to break the latch. if it could, then popping your hood and giving it one good yank upward would break the latch too
Old 11-15-2005, 02:00 AM
ahnyoung!

Originally Posted by Mulk
i dont think i'd use the hoodpins..
seriously, it would take a lot of force to break the latch on the cf hood.. i mean its not like its gonna slip out of place, there would have to be enough force on the bottom of the hood to actually break the latch off, its made of fiberglass right? well i think it should be plenty strong.
when you're going that fast, how much air can actually get under the hood causing an upward force? remember, theres a LOT more air flowing on top of the hood causing a DOWNWARD force.
go out to your car and pop the hood, instead of unlatching it, just try to pull it up, see how strong the latch is. i really dont think the wind can put much force on the underside of the hood, def. not enough to break the latch. if it could, then popping your hood and giving it one good yank upward would break the latch too

sounds reasonable lol!
well hood pins sounds right for a just in case thing. .. .
and i think 80 bucks is pretty cheap for the install. . .
hope they do a hella professional job
Old 11-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

^ downforce isnt as strong as the upward force because if you think about it, wind easily slides over the top of the hood but not underneath since there is limited openings for the air to escape. in a way, the air is entering faster than its allowed to exit, which means more air being forced out (pushing up against the hood).

having this happening to your hood after highway driving will gradually add up and its only a matter of time before the latch snaps from all the pressure... hood pins act as separate latches in a way, to prevent your hood from flying up.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 AM
The movement has started

Esp with the type-r grille.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:32 AM
The movement has started

Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baka_t
Esp with the type-r grille.
i prefer to call it a "blacked-out grille"

Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 AM
The new ride

well, if you MUST have the extra protection, try to come up with something creative that can be hidden, for example, use high strength magnets or something, probably towards the left and right edges, one magnet could be attached to the bottom of the hood, with 3M double sided tape, and one could be attached directly under it on the highest point of the inner fender under the hood, as long as you can get something strong and get them mounted so they come together as the hood closes.

Or, go to a hardware store, look at some different things, if theres some way you can attached a hook type thing to the fiberglass underside of the hood towards the edges, do that, then use something like a bungee cord on each side of the hood, so that one end of the cord is attached to the body in the engine compartment and you can just attach the cord while closing your hood, pull it off when opening, it'll be easy enough.

sometimes you just have to be creative ^^ doing something like that will work and you can avoid the hoodpins.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Banned

^ i'm hesitant with that bungee cord idea... im afraid the heat from the engine will wear it down and maybe even create engine fire
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 AM
ahnyoung!

^ i'm hesitant with that bungee cord idea... im afraid the heat from the engine will wear it down and maybe even create engine fire
lol!!!
sounds pretty ghetto
i'd say hood pins are a better measure of safety though
my for some hard to get cf hood
Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 AM
The new ride

yeah, its ghetto, but it would work, and it would look better from the outside.. there are other ways you could do it too, thats just what i thought of first, im pretty creative, so i thought it could be helpful with something like this.. rather than argue and take sides i could help come up with something that functions the same as a hoodpin that isn't seen from the outside.

another idea is if you could use some kind of spring hinges, since you cant use the stock hood supports anyway, the spring holds the hinge closed and pulls it closed unless you open it fully (similar to the ping pong table supports someone mentioned before, except with the springs)
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 AM
ahnyoung!

those are soo much custom work =) but i would find out some way as well to put aside hood pins . . .

and as for george. . i have no idea where else u can go for cheap =/
Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i already GOT the motherfucking pins, this wasnt a thread to fucking ask if i should get them. i was already resolute in my decision to install these bitches when you guys started posting shit like "they like :ghey:" and "oh im the SHIT i dont need hood pins, hood pins are for ricers"

fucking FAGS
ok you need to calm the fuck down
Old 11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

^ read the post below, i apologized for that post... im sure everyone in here has posted when pissed and realized how stupid their post sounds..

anyway, as for the hood pins... how about we do an experiment. mulk, don't use hood pins and over the course of a year, we'll see what happens. to be honest, no one will believe me until someone has their hood fly open and smack their windshield, then i can finally prove my point to all the ignorant people here.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
^ read the post below, i apologized for that post... im sure everyone in here has posted when pissed and realized how stupid their post sounds..

anyway, as for the hood pins... how about we do an experiment. mulk, don't use hood pins and over the course of a year, we'll see what happens. to be honest, no one will believe me until someone has their hood fly open and smack their windshield, then i can finally prove my point to all the ignorant people here.
Just drop the subject man, we've established, noone likes hood pins, but they do have a use. $80 is not expensive, just roll with that. That sums up the last 5 pages of this crazy thread.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Banned

^ yeah... i hope justin or any mods can lock this thread, probably one of the worst i've posted lol
Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm a llama :(

^ yeah... i hope justin or any mods can lock this thread, probably one of the worst i've posted lol
I don't know....maybe we could start a poll.

Quick Reply: $80 to install some GOD DAMN HOOD PINS!!!! WORTH IT?!