$80 to install some GOD DAMN HOOD PINS!!!! WORTH IT?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
the number of stories of hoods flying up doesn't compare to the number of people that have CF hoods

80 bucks dont seem too bad...
Old 11-13-2005, 04:27 PM
The Hefty 2.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just talked to a friend whos been in the car scene for over 10 years. His experience with cf hoods is that... when he didn't run hoodpins... he could see his hood wanting to come off at speeds around 80mph. so due to this... he said this made him not be able to speed. but when he goes to the track... he would def use hoodpins. so in the end... if you don't wanna use hoodpins... don't drive above 70 ish. Just for the people who wanna know. Do the hoodpins george... i think they look pimp!
Old 11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK....I'll be happy to clear this up for everyone....

FIRST OFF: If you decide to NOT get hoodpins....do that @ your own risk because once that MOFO flies up on you...your screwed...and for all of you who think you;ll be able to turn right around and sue VIS because the hood flew up on you....Im going to laugh...and so is VIS because it printed out right here in black & white...
(see "MEMO:" .....right above "Disclaimer")

So, for all of you who think hood pins are crap....dont install them, but do this @ your own risk, because if something happens, your on your own.

And as for all those "Myths" everyone hears about...I have a friend whos got a VIS made CF Hood for his Celica. He HAD to install hoodpins because on the HWY, the hood was soo light (and weighed nothing) that air would come up under the hood from the sides of the hood where the fenders are. This Air pushed up the hood rocking it back and forth, and over time it wore down and put stress on the OEM hood latch.

ALSO, I have a friend who had a civic a few yrs back. He also had a VIS CF hood....and yea, about all those myths...well his story wasnt a myth because ive seen pictures. His CF Hood poped open and flew up on him on the HWY, and flew all the way back into his windshield which smashed and cracked his window. So, at that point, he had a totaled CF Hood, and a totaled front windshield.
And thats if your lucky that it stays on the car and just flies back into your own windshield....If it actually detaches and hits another car on the HWY while your doin 70mph+...you'll prob. kill someone...meaning your getting sued, possibly some form of legal action aginst you for "neglegent man slaughter"...or whatever else they could throw @ you....thus ruining the rest of your life, and all because you thought hood pins were dumb.

Oh yea, and shit like that does happen...My Moms friend in College was killed when a Mattress flew off the back of a truck inforont of her and whent through her windshield killing her. Imagin what a flying CF hood could do at 80mph.

And to everyone trying to save $$ by installing them yourself....good luck....atleast if u pay a company to do it...if they screw up and crack the hood totaling it, you'r atleast going to get another one through their insurance...if you try to install those pins and drill yourself...do that @ your own risk...but if you screw up...you have no one to blame but yourself.

-CJ
Old 11-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

^ i usually hate long posts... but yours are so damn informative!

good shit.. and yes i plan on getting it done professionally
Old 11-13-2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by recycledpaper
^ i usually hate long posts... but yours are so damn informative!
good shit.. and yes i plan on getting it done professionally
Hey Thanks! Yea, I hate long posts too...lol...but for some reason, I cant ever keep mine down to a few lines...lol...maybe its because English is my best subject...or the fact that I've started writing a book to be published...lol..so typing and writing is just like 2nd nature to me.

But yea, I appricate the complement. thanks. I mean, Ive been a member on here for over 3 yrs now...I've learned that this message board is to group together w/ people w/ the same intrests. (thus, our Cars) and the whole purpose is to ask questions, get anwsers, and gain knowledge. I really try not to post whore because I know it dosnt help anyone...Which is prob. another reason some of my posts are soo damn long..lol..When I actually have somethin to say about a topic, im going to get my point across and help as many as i can.

BTW: maybe I missed this....but what type of Hood Pins did u end up getting? Im planning on getting the "locking" type. (see pict. above) Crap! Actually I need to order those RIGHT NOW...lol...My hood will be here in 3 days!
Oh Recycle: When you've been calling around to places, had you asked if they have had experience drilling through CF before? Im not sure how hard it might be, but Im atleast going to make sure whoever is doing it, has done it before. The last thing I need is some "yahoo" pokin through my hood like its swiss cheeze, the same day I get it.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Banned

^ yeah i've been calling around. i went with the sparco hood pins that i picked up from SP engineering, it was $30 picked up. They look really sturdy not like the cheap $.99 ones on ebay. I didn't get the locking ones, mainly because my friend has it on his 240 and it looks really bad. i'm getting my pins installed by the same shop that did my friend's accord
Old 11-13-2005, 07:29 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bebop.fey
i really don't think it'll actually fly out cause it's latched and well he's doing it for extra precaution cause seriously. . . these cf hoods were hard to come by with

but i really do agree with all of you that hood pins are UGLY AS FUK!!
dam shes hot.

Hood pins im getting are not Fugly There Semi Gloss Black and have a micro latch. There smalla made from ss There going to look great on my car, but it has a different "look" to it and im not sure if hoodpins are for your car
Old 11-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

^ IMO hood pins are for any car with a CF hood, regardless if you like it or not
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew VIS had covered their ass on the hood pin thing... You guys better get them... even though they will look . Oh well, glad to see that question was settle.

CF = - :ghey: hood pins =

Oh well, it will still look

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Im No Superman

when u intall em please take pics, lets decide how it looks AFTER they go on
Old 11-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Miss th 3.0

i dont really think they will look too bad
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pics of the SS ones alex pls thx
Old 11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

^ will do... im holding the pins in my hand now.. so sexy O_O
Old 11-14-2005, 02:26 AM
The movement has started

i already GOT the motherfucking pins, this wasnt a thread to fucking ask if i should get them. i was already resolute in my decision to install these bitches when you guys started posting shit like "they like :ghey:" and "oh im the SHIT i dont need hood pins, hood pins are for ricers"

fucking FAGS
Wow it's someones time of the month. Imo they are ghey. This is a opinionated forum so by starting this thread you should of already expected that someone would say they don't like the look of hoodpins.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baka_t
Wow it's someones time of the month. Imo they are ghey. This is a opinionated forum so by starting this thread you should of already expected that someone would say they don't like the look of hoodpins.
yeah, everyone has opinions, i know that... but i asked if there were cheaper places to get hoodpins installed and you answered with your opinion that hood pins are gay, what is the purpose of that? what do you hope to accomplish? you just wanna say random shit to annoy people? you're not even getting a CF hood so why would you opinion on the pins matter? sometimes people should just shut up and keep their opinions to themselves because its not valued
Old 11-14-2005, 02:41 AM
The movement has started

Well don't post a new thread everyday and not expect anyone to comment on it. You act like this is your forum and no one can speak their mind. Also I didn't end up ordering a hood because I have a black car and to me there is no purpose to have a cf hood. It's mostly for looks anyway. The reason why I hardly post on this forum anymore is the attitude of the new generation of clers. Their views and opinions are way more wack then the og's.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Banned

Well don't post a new thread everyday and not expect anyone to comment on it. You act like this is your forum and no one can speak their mind. Also I didn't end up ordering a hood because I have a black car and to me there is no purpose to have a cf hood. It's mostly for looks anyway. The reason why I hardly post on this forum anymore is the attitude of the new generation of clers. Their views and opinions are way more wack then the og's.
how do i act like this is my forum? it is obvious its not my forum.. i said i dont value YOUR opinion, do you have to get butt hurt about my comments? do i care why you don't post? you did not answer my question, you just answered with ANOTHER irrelevant comment. and you say my views and opinions are more wack than the so-called "og's"... so ok mr. original gangster, whats so wack about views and opinions? is it wack because it differs from yours? why dont you point out the og's on the forums and we'll see how far their opinions are from my own. what you need to do is stop thinking just cuz you're an older member that you have the right to say whatever you can pull out of your ass and just have people agree with you.

good going.. you've managed to argue with the intelligence of a 12-year old.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 AM

MYTHBUSTERS PART 2

I spoke w/ my 2 friends I menchoned about above. (1 w/ the cf hood/celica and the other w/ the cf hood/civic that flew open)

Anyway, The friend with the civic, he said the hood had been on about 2 weeks before it happened. I also found out the same thing happened to another kid I know. Same situation, the hood flew up and smashed the windshield.

Oh yea, and the kid w/ the celica...he said his cf hood is permanitly (sp?) bent and disformed because w/o the hood pins, air got up/in from the sides and push the hood up so much causing it stress, & it bent & creased a little.

= (2) with hoods flying up smashing the windshield
& (1) with bent creased hood from updraft stress from wind under hood

^ well thats not good... even with hood pins air will still get under the hood =/
actually youll be suprised how much pins will hold down the sides...atleast better than w/o having them and risking it
Old 11-14-2005, 02:56 AM
Banned

^ well thats not good... even with hood pins air will still get under the hood =/
Old 11-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Safety Car

are they the kind with the pins or the lock? imo the locking ones will look better.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Banned

^ thats what i was thinknig too.. but my friend said that the locking ones tend to wiggle around more and have a chance of lining up with the opening even without the key =/

hood pins with the thread/hole design are secure beccause when you insert them through the opening, you flip over the ring. its designed so once its flipped over, the wind or vibrations wont be able to flip it over since it requires a LOT of force to flip over manually (its hard to move it around)
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm a llama :(

Hood pins are stupid if you don't need them. Like on a stock hood or something. If if they're fake and stick on. Things that are actually functional don't fall into the "ghey" or "rice" category.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Hood pins are stupid if you don't need them. Like on a stock hood or something. Or if they're fake and stick on. Things that are actually functional don't fall into the "ghey" or "rice" category.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you should get the hood pin...my friend with a Prelude and VIS CF hood smash his windshield in a few month after he got his hood. I hold told him he needs it but he decided to listen to people that dont even know wat VTEC stand for or does. so now he's riding with a stock hood again.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Motohip
Hood pins are stupid if you don't need them. Like on a stock hood or something. Or if they're fake and stick on. Things that are actually functional don't fall into the "ghey" or "rice" category.
hahaha...those stick on hood pins is gotta be the ricest mod out there.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohip
I totally agree, if you have a need for hood pins, like a hood that's half the height of your stock hood, and won't stay down, i'd say that serves a purpose and is a need. They're not rice, just don't get bright red, or blue, or purple or wtf ever, just get some classy ones, and it'll be a subtle touch. The sticker hood pins are terrible.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I totally agree, if you have a need for hood pins, like a hood that's half the height of your stock hood, and won't stay down, i'd say that serves a purpose and is a need. They're not rice, just don't get bright red, or blue, or purple or wtf ever, just get some classy ones, and it'll be a subtle touch. The sticker hood pins are terrible.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

they have CF hood pins too...but i dont think those would look nice at all...go with flat black or chrome
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
they have CF hood pins too...but i dont think those would look nice at all...go with flat black or chrome
Those have been discussed on here, and the general consensus is that's just an attempt to be rice.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

thanks guys for making my point... i really didnt see the riceyness of having hood pins that actually serve a PURPOSE
Old 11-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

thanks guys for making my point... i really didnt see the riceyness of having hood pins that actually serve a PURPOSE
Hood pins were designed for C/F Hoods, and other hoods that can fly up with excess speed. When used for a purpose, they are not stupid. I am disappointed that we have to get them, but I was expecting it. Oh well, now i have to find a shop that I trust to drill my brand new $500 custom hood.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Hood pins = :ghey:

good to see there are a few of us left
Old 11-14-2005, 06:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by KLepTo

to those of you who keep "hearing these stories" are these from reliable sources or are they just ricer myths? I've "heard stories" that putting in this racing chip gives me mad ty0te vTEc yO. And who says that their hoods were as high quality as ours? We keep praising the grade A quality these hoods are, maybe those guys had some shitty ones that didnt fit 100% and had shitty latches

probably similiar to the guys who say nitrous will blow you up, cause a few idiots didn't know how to install it right

fuck the pins, that's why you bought a hood you could still use the stock latch with
Old 11-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

^ i dont think you understand... we ALL think hood pins are wack, but its easier for baka to say they're "gay" since he doesnt have to use them... if you think about it, why would something thats necessary be gay? is losing the hood a good thing? damn.. the arguments you guys make are irritating
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 PM
teh Senior Instigator

^ i dont think you understand... we ALL think hood pins are wack, but its easier for baka to say they're "gay" since he doesnt have to use them... if you think about it, why would something thats necessary be gay? is losing the hood a good thing? damn.. the arguments you guys make are irritating

DOES THE HOOD NOT HAVE A FUCKING SPOT FOR THE STOCK LATCH? if not, should of gotten a quality hood, but I think it does

God damn you are stupid kid
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Banned

^ refrain from using caps... its only half an inch away from the A key.

and yes, it does have a stock latch, but have you not heard of the stories of the hoods flying up?

-_________________________-
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
teh Senior Instigator

and yes, it does have a stock latch, but have you not heard of the stories of the hoods flying up?

yes, most likely from idiots who didn't install it properly

Didn't you read that part? Why spend so much on such a "quality" hood like you guys all claim it to be, when you can't even safely use the stock latch
Old 11-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Miss th 3.0

Originally Posted by CLpower
good to see there are a few of us left
im left but we all have to stop this bickering, we are starting to look like a civic or integra forum. whenever i look at one of those they are just all dissin eachother, we dont want our beloved acl.com to look like that do we? i didnt think so. so we all know not everyone has all the money to put into their cars, thats why they got cheaper hoods and need hoodpins. i dont personally like them, but if you need them to not make your hood fly up, then ya gotta get em. recycledpaper just wanted to know of an install place to install them, but he just got responces like, hood pins are gay and such. but you gotta do what you gotta do, i dont think hes ricin out his car, because they will be in use, unlike hood pins on a stock hood, or painting your hood black to make it look like cf from a distance, now thats just
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

quality has NOTHING to do with the fucking HOOD PINS!

if its lightweight, the latch on the CF hood won't even COMPARE to how strong the latch is on the OEM steel one..

if you can STILL use the latch on the CF hood... i say you just spent a few K on a piece of shit overweight hood
Old 11-14-2005, 06:22 PM
teh Senior Instigator

quality has NOTHING to do with the fucking HOOD PINS!

if its lightweight, the latch on the CF hood won't even COMPARE to how strong the latch is on the OEM steel one..

if you can STILL use the latch on the CF hood... i say you just spent a few K on a piece of shit overweight hood

Yes, quality has EVERYTHING to do w/ using hood pins or not hoodpins

Sorry

The pictures of the CF hood I showed you has no hoodpins, and the car it is on often spends time at 200+ mph w/ zero issues. (and i'm not talking about quick spirts to 200; the car avg's 190+ through 130+ miles of ORR racing in Nevada)

Quick Reply: $80 to install some GOD DAMN HOOD PINS!!!! WORTH IT?!