How to rotate tire myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to rotate tire myself?

Dear friends,
maybe this is a dumb question, but I do need some guide from you. I want to rotate tire myself, i found it cost me too much time if i go to garage to just rotate the tires. If I rotate tires myself, when i install tire, do i need to use drive click torque wrench, if yes, what's the number? If no need to use click torque wrench, then any recommendation if I just use tire installation wrench from car? I cannot find this information from manual. Second question is tire pressure sensor, after rotate the tire, do I need to also change the tire pressure sensor? I mean swap TPMS between two tires.
from manual, tire rotation is different between non-directional tires and directional tires, how do i know my car tire is directional or non-directional? thank you.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Always best to properly torque wheel lug nuts. The "torque spec.", should be listed in the owner's manual, if not, it can be easily found on-line. My 2G TLS wheel lug torque spec,. is 80 ft.. lbs. The easiest, most accurate method, is to use a "click" type torque wrench. Most directional tires i have seen, have an "arrow" pointing in the direction of rotation, the arrow, is usually stamped into the sidewall of the tire. Even though a tire may be non-directional, most people consider it prudent, to Not alter the pattern of it's direction, "ie" don't rotate the right front , to the left rear, etc. . I'm not sure about the " tire pressure monitor", but being that it is located inside the rim, usually 180 deg. from the valve stem, i think it would be unlikely that it would require changing, due to a simple tire rotation. Most cars, using tire pressure monitoring, require new "sensor ID codes", to be entered into the cars computer, only when a new sensor is installed. The activation service needs to be performed each time wheels and tires are changed out (like when changing from dedicated, and mounted winter wheels and tires, back to dedicated and mounted summer all-season set.
The following users liked this post:
jujufly (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by jujufly
Dear friends,
maybe this is a dumb question, but I do need some guide from you. I want to rotate tire myself, i found it cost me too much time if i go to garage to just rotate the tires. If I rotate tires myself, when i install tire, do i need to use drive click torque wrench, if yes, what's the number? If no need to use click torque wrench, then any recommendation if I just use tire installation wrench from car? I cannot find this information from manual. Second question is tire pressure sensor, after rotate the tire, do I need to also change the tire pressure sensor? I mean swap TPMS between two tires.
from manual, tire rotation is different between non-directional tires and directional tires, how do i know my car tire is directional or non-directional? thank you.
No such thing as a "dumb question"
Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Depends on the year of your MDX for the tq specs for the lugs. For my 2011 MDX the specs are 94lb-ft on my tq wrench for the rims and spare tire. I back off the lug with a regular wrench and re-tighen to 94lb-ft in a star pattern with the tq wrench (don't want to take a chance of knocking the tq wrench out of calibration if I use it to loosen lugs). I purchased my tires from Discount Tires and they have lifetime balance, road hazard, and rotations; which, save me a lot of time compared to DYI and $$$ compared to the Dealership. I purchased a tq wrench a few years ago because Discount tires wasn't tq'ing the lugs to specs and over tightening some of them with the impact wrench. I had to use my 2 foot cheater bar just the loosen the lugs free sometimes to re-tq them to the proper specs. Now, Discount Tires uses a tq wrench to tighten all lugs.

I have Conti DWS 06 tires and they are non-directional asymmetrical tires (one side always points out and you can put them on all four corners of the MDX because they can run forwards or backwards). I can rotate front-to-back OR cross rotate left-to-right OR opposite front-to-back corner-to-corner. The cross-rotation ability allows the tires to run in the opposite direction and that can lessen road noise, evens out wear, allows the tires to last longer, and can smooth out vibrations a tire balance can't fix sometimes. Every oil change, I rotate and then cross rotate the next oil change to ensure a tire touches all four corners of my vehicle. The TPMS adjusts automatically to the new tire position after the rotation.

Most likely, your current tires are symmetrical (same even pattern across the tread and you mount either side inside or out). Directional tires usually tread pattern like in a "V" shape that only works in one direction. Directional tires have an arrow on the side to shown the direction of rotation

Types of tires: https://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart/tread_type/

I like Symmetrical or Asymmetrical tires for an SUV because of the rotation/cross-rotation benefits and usually higher bad weather capabilities.

Last edited by mrgold35; 07-28-2017 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jujufly (07-28-2017)