what means for OEM Parts and Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what means for OEM Parts and Accessories

I am shopping some parts for my 2011 MDX, I always see some cheap price from Acura OEM parts store/online, anybody know what's OEM stand for? i google OEM, but not sure if OEM is not original part from manufacture, so is OEM part quality is not good? thank you.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Basically the same part and quality which came on your car from the factory.

It does not always mean the highest quality.

If you have factory or extended warranty still left on your vehicle, best to use OEM parts to avoid warranty issues later.
The following users liked this post:
jujufly (08-12-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts

There is also the miss leading "OEM Like" which 90% of the time isn´t OEM like at all.
jujufly (08-12-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich

There is also the miss leading "OEM Like" which 90% of the time isn´t OEM like at all.
Hmmm, Miss Leading..., I want to meet her.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Auto Correct FTL!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jujufly
I am shopping some parts for my 2011 MDX, I always see some cheap price from Acura OEM parts store/online, anybody know what's OEM stand for? i google OEM, but not sure if OEM is not original part from manufacture, so is OEM part quality is not good? thank you.
Got this from other car forum site that explan more detail and apply to all cars.
OE = Original Equipment - exactly what is used on the assembly lines when your car was made. Parts were made by the exact same manufacturer, to BMW's specifications, and are usually stamped with the BMW logo. These parts must also meet all the BMW quality control specs for that part, same as any part that's accepted into the production process.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer - parts are made by a manufacturer that supplies original parts to BMW. These parts do not have to pass the BMW quality control tests for that part, and do not have the BMW logo on them. Quality of these parts can vary greatly - they can range between the exact same part as the one that's put on the car on the production line (but minus the BMW logo...), to something that wasn't good enough to pass quality control, so the manufacturer just sells them as OEM. Another issue - the part may be made by a manufacturer that supplies parts to BMW, but that part may not be a part that particular manufacturer supplies. For example, ZKW may supply some of the OE lights to BMW. However, if they felt like it, they could manufacturer suspension components, and label them "OEM" - after all, they are an Original Equipment manufacturer, just not for suspension components.
jujufly (08-20-2017)