Weird "clunking" kind of noise when car is first driven?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird "clunking" kind of noise when car is first driven?

Just bought a 2008 MDX a few weeks ago and I love it. There's a noise it makes during the first 1/2 mile or so where I can't really tell if it's normal. It's kind of a mild "clunking" sound that I hear when the car's in first gear and then I let off on the gas. Not even really a clunking sound, but that's the best description I can give it. Seems to disappear after about a half a mile. I only hear it when my foot is off the gas and the car is decelerating due to engine torque.

So before I run off to the dealer and lose the car for a day, can anyone let me know if you've heard a remotely similar sound when first driving the car for the day? Sorry I can't give a better description of the noise!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tl_luvva
Just bought a 2008 MDX a few weeks ago and I love it. There's a noise it makes during the first 1/2 mile or so where I can't really tell if it's normal. It's kind of a mild "clunking" sound that I hear when the car's in first gear and then I let off on the gas. Not even really a clunking sound, but that's the best description I can give it. Seems to disappear after about a half a mile. I only hear it when my foot is off the gas and the car is decelerating due to engine torque.

So before I run off to the dealer and lose the car for a day, can anyone let me know if you've heard a remotely similar sound when first driving the car for the day? Sorry I can't give a better description of the noise!
if it's happening repeatedly then bring it to the dealer right away (only thing i can think of is the transmission and awd)

let us know how it turns out
Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold the phone...

My 07 makes the same noise.

I ran it by my service manager (who is the man) and he immediately said it is the ABS modulator...ALL new MDX's make that noise right after it starts... its is normal and intentional.

Nothing to worry about assuming we are talking about the same noise. Mine is straight through the dash and down...sounds kinds like whoppwhoop whoop really fast and kinda faint. sometimes it happens twice in the first few minutes.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by WNY08TLS
Hold the phone...

My 07 makes the same noise.

I ran it by my service manager (who is the man) and he immediately said it is the ABS modulator...ALL new MDX's make that noise right after it starts... its is normal and intentional.

Nothing to worry about assuming we are talking about the same noise. Mine is straight through the dash and down...sounds kinds like whoppwhoop whoop really fast and kinda faint. sometimes it happens twice in the first few minutes.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good description of the noise. I remember I used to have a Lexus ES300 that make a big "thump" noise about 20 seconds after you started driving, and it was the same kind of deal.

Let me listen to the noise again this evening and see if I can't provide a better description. I think we might be talking about the same thing. My concern is that I only seem to hear the noise when I take my foot off of the gas, but maybe that's just a coincidence.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 08 MDX Tech/Ent and don't have that noise. I'd still have it checked out.

BTW: I did get a clunking noise when I first bought the MDX. However, it was in the back. They lubed it up (something they forgot to do during prep) and never heard the noise again.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tl_luvva

I have a 2008 MDX and I also hear a similar sound when I first drive the car. It's like something is engaged and then gets disengaged. It will only happen in the morning after the car has been parked for a long time. Then if I start again during the day it won't happen. And the problem is how can I tell this to the dealer as it will not happen when I go to them.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

I've listened repeatedly for the noise and it seems pretty consistent. Generally hear it after the car has been parked for at least a couple of hours. Sounds kind of like a "fluttering" or "tapping" noise. About 5 or 6 "taps" and then I never hear it again. I think the ABS theory above is probably correct. It's not a bad sounding noise, just something out of the ordinary.

Anyone else have experience hearing this noise within the first minute or two of driving after starting the car?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Could it be your tires are flat-spotting? Can you feel it in your butt or do you just hear it?

The tires on my TL and the MDX both flat-spot. Usually takes a few minutes on the road, and then they are good. Just a thought...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Advanced

It seems like others are not experiencing the clicking/tapping sound when the car is first driven. I wonder if there is a TSB out there.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Clunking - Clicking - Tapping noises.

Originally Posted by wutaguy
It seems like others are not experiencing the clicking/tapping sound when the car is first driven. I wonder if there is a TSB out there.
Hi everyone,
I use to have '02 MDX with same problem (clunk noise), Acura dealer fix the problem by piece of paper, but came back about 1k miles. Then '07 I bought a new '07 MDX but the noises worser, more clucking noise when speed up, slow down, back and forth.
I brought the X back to 3 dealers and they hold for almost a month to check the vihecle, but don't know where it came from. By that time I have the X only 3ms, and made many strips to dealers. Finally, the TSB came out for that problem but not help at all, the technicians at Acura delear told me Acura have to rework the brakes. All they can do is use piece of paper for temporaly fix.
The clicking/tapping/clunking noises can not be fixed unless Acura redesign the pads or brakes or make the shim kits.
The is the TSB for the noise but won't help, try to search on the web, you will see.
B08-005 Acura MDX TSB
Or go to this address you will see the pics, how dealer fix my X.
http://www..org/forums/showthread.ph...795#post377795
(I can not attach file or post pics, since I just new member)
After 8ms of owoned the X the noises so anoying and all so wind noise with the speed 40mph or more, traded in for '08 X5, just a few Ks more, but I got the best luxury AUV ever.
After all, I would not recommend your to buy Acura MDX at this time, also save your time and money, wait untill Acura fix that problem permanently.
I have heard '08 and '09 still have clunking noise problem.
Forgot to mention, on MDX when gas tank in full you can hear thuds soud from the tank. This also happen from '01 model until now.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Last edited by The Black X; 12-26-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Skipping over the MDX because of this issue sounds a little extreme to me but to each his own.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 PM
98 A32 KH3

damn that aint good
Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Black X
Hi everyone,
I use to have '02 MDX with same problem (clunk noise), Acura dealer fix the problem by piece of paper, but came back about 1k miles. Then '07 I bought a new '07 MDX but the noises worser, more clucking noise when speed up, slow down, back and forth.
I brought the X back to 3 dealers and they hold for almost a month to check the vihecle, but don't know where it came from. By that time I have the X only 3ms, and made many strips to dealers. Finally, the TSB came out for that problem but not help at all, the technicians at Acura delear told me Acura have to rework the brakes. All they can do is use piece of paper for temporaly fix.
The clicking/tapping/clunking noises can not be fixed unless Acura redesign the pads or brakes or make the shim kits.
The is the TSB for the noise but won't help, try to search on the web, you will see.
B08-005 Acura MDX TSB
Or go to this address you will see the pics, how dealer fix my X.
http://www..org/forums/showthread.ph...795#post377795
(I can not attach file or post pics, since I just new member)
After 8ms of owoned the X the noises so anoying and all so wind noise with the speed 40mph or more, traded in for '08 X5, just a few Ks more, but I got the best luxury AUV ever.
After all, I would not recommend your to buy Acura MDX at this time, also save your time and money, wait untill Acura fix that problem permanently.
I have heard '08 and '09 still have clunking noise problem.
Forgot to mention, on MDX when gas tank in full you can hear thuds soud from the tank. This also happen from '01 model until now.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

That TSB is if you are accelerating or braking. You don't do either to hear the clicking sound. And it will only come the first time you drive and if the car has been parked for a long time. You have to have the radio off and be quiet to hear the sound. Otherwise my MDX is bulletproof and just love it.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wutaguy
That TSB is if you are accelerating or braking. You don't do either to hear the clicking sound. And it will only come the first time you drive and if the car has been parked for a long time. You have to have the radio off and be quiet to hear the sound. Otherwise my MDX is bulletproof and just love it.
The noise you are hearing is the ABS module pulsing the system.You will hear it every time you start to move from a start cycle.
It is normal and nothing is wrong.If you start your MDX then select drive let off the brake and just coast you will hear nothing at all until you press acellerator past 7 mph.There is speed sensors on all wheels that activate the module to turn on and test the system,if any one of the speed sensors fail(don't) send wheel speed to the ECU your ABS light will come on and disable the system.You will still have brakes to stop.The computer will disable the antilock system to safeguard you because it will not function corectly.
Honda has chosen this method to reasure that testing the ABS system with wheel speed is the safest way.Several different ABS systems will pulse the system with only KOEO cycle.This test only ensures that the pump is active (working).If there is a problem with the system,it will be to late in a emergency,the ABS light will come on while you Jam on the Brakes.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09MDX
The noise you are hearing is the ABS module pulsing the system.You will hear it every time you start to move from a start cycle.
It is normal and nothing is wrong.If you start your MDX then select drive let off the brake and just coast you will hear nothing at all until you press acellerator past 7 mph.There is speed sensors on all wheels that activate the module to turn on and test the system,if any one of the speed sensors fail(don't) send wheel speed to the ECU your ABS light will come on and disable the system.You will still have brakes to stop.The computer will disable the antilock system to safeguard you because it will not function corectly.
Honda has chosen this method to reasure that testing the ABS system with wheel speed is the safest way.Several different ABS systems will pulse the system with only KOEO cycle.This test only ensures that the pump is active (working).If there is a problem with the system,it will be to late in a emergency,the ABS light will come on while you Jam on the Brakes.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this go for an 04 as well as I hear a little like thump but only after I start moving forward, not when I reverse out of my space.