Tuesday Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Tuesday Project

So finally did my PS Pump O-Ring and Fluid Flush..

Man cheapo Honda of México delivered the O-Ring on a simple plain plastic bag with the Part No written in sharpie... Well the MDX flush requires around 2.5 bottles of PS Fluid I ended up sucking part of it after the flush so I could use all 3 bottles and keep a single spare. The cyringue is for sucking the PS fluid out of the reservoir.

Flush went smoothly and my steering is now way lighter than before.. The oil was not dirty it's just the color of the AUTOZONE branded fluid I have been using for months due to my leak.. The leak was caused by a faulty O-Ring which to my surprise it was a Red replacement O-Ring not the OE black one so I dunno how that went bad.

Now I am all leak free and with a smoother steering.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Man, I flushed about 4 bottles of fluid on mine and it was still dirty after running a little. Never had a drop of leakage, but the MDX had that extremely hard steering at idle/low speeds.

Changed the power steering pump last weekend and that was 2 more bottles changed out & it is still kind of dirty. Guess I'll flush some more.
However, it now steers much easier !!!!!!! Big improvement for me, I was getting to where I didn't want to drive the MDX due to the steering effort compared to the RDX which feels wonderful.

I've got one of those bottle pumps that screws onto tops qt. bottles, etc. That will pump out the power steering reservoir or the brake fluid reservoir real quick & easy
Old 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM

That is great Alan!
Mine also changed for the better, It is now much smoother and there is a little bit more assist at low speed which is a huge bonus..

My system wasn't dirty to begin with but since I had that nasty leak for months now I have been slowly but surely replacing the entire oil in the system for Autozone cheapest PS Fluid.. Now that it's running OE Honda PS Fluid the difference is clear*.

*Pun intended.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Motivation here!!! PS is making that noise (now that temps are dropping) and I believe it's the o ring allowing air to seep in. On the list for next service!
Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Better approach is to follow FSM. The reservoir has a fine mesh screen at bottom which tends to plug and negatively affect PS. Sucking out old fluid does not allow to inspect, clean or replace reservoir screen. Reservoir is cheap enough that I replace rather than clean.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nats007
Motivation here!!! PS is making that noise (now that temps are dropping) and I believe it's the o ring allowing air to seep in. On the list for next service!
Or maybe your reservoir screen is dirty.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM

I washed my Reservoir when I replaced the O-Ring...
I noticed that mesh when I pierced it with the needle so I had to back down and remove the rest of the fluid with the reservoir, Yeah not a very clean solution.