Tire knowledge advise....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Tire knowledge advise....

I am a big fan of the Continental DWS tires. I need to purchase tires for my MDX and went to Tirerack today, they have a "closeout special" on the DWS, and now they have DWS06 as a new product, replacing the original DWS. The "new" tires are $199, the "old" ones are $210 even with the "special".
There are no real life ratings/test of the DWS06, but you can only expect it to be equal or better than the DWS. Should I take a leap of faith and buy those instead of the true and tested DWS? are there any other tires/brands I should consider? I am not interested in spending a fortune, and they have to be all-seasons with good snow traction (I know that snow tires are better, but not an option)
Old 05-12-2015, 09:15 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I saw there are now Conti DWS 06 sport plus also; which, suppose to be an upgrade to the the original DWS. The new tire also features Continental’s Alignment Verification System and Tuned Performance Indicators. The reviews I've saw show better turn in, improved wet grip, and possibly stiffer side wall. The new tire suppose to start rolling out (excuse the pun) in May and all sizes available by this fall.

Link: Tire Review: Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

I just purchased the old DWS tires for my RDX about 6 weeks ago. I've would have waited to give these a try if I known these were coming out.
The following users liked this post:
wrestrepo (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I saw there are now Conti DWS 06 sport plus also; which, suppose to be an upgrade to the the original DWS. The new tire also features Continental’s Alignment Verification System and Tuned Performance Indicators. The reviews I've saw show better turn in, improved wet grip, and possibly stiffer side wall. The new tire suppose to start rolling out (excuse the pun) in May and all sizes available by this fall.

I just purchased the old DWS tires for my RDX about 6 weeks ago. I've would have waited to give these a try if I known these were coming out.
I haven't been here in a while, it's great to see a familiar name. I am leaning towards the new tires, they seem to be a slight improvement over the tried and tested DWS.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm also curious about their new tires. I had the Conti DW and they were good. Excellent grip on wet and dry roads.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:16 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I am a big fan of the Continental DWS tires. I need to purchase tires for my MDX and went to Tirerack today, they have a "closeout special" on the DWS, and now they have DWS06 as a new product, replacing the original DWS. The "new" tires are $199, the "old" ones are $210 even with the "special".
There are no real life ratings/test of the DWS06, but you can only expect it to be equal or better than the DWS. Should I take a leap of faith and buy those instead of the true and tested DWS? are there any other tires/brands I should consider? I am not interested in spending a fortune, and they have to be all-seasons with good snow traction (I know that snow tires are better, but not an option)
Wrestrepo - curious if you have made a decision and/or if you went with the DWS06 or not.

I find it interesting that the review of the DWS06 says its a good all year round tire but did no testing in the white stuff. Admittedly the white stuff is harder to find this time of year.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:25 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Wrestrepo - curious if you have made a decision and/or if you went with the DWS06 or not.

I find it interesting that the review of the DWS06 says its a good all year round tire but did no testing in the white stuff. Admittedly the white stuff is harder to find this time of year.

I decided to purchase the DWS06 tires. The tire looks really good, a bit "better" than the DWS (if that's even a thing).

I have to say that so far, after a road trip and a couple of weeks of driving, they are pretty good. I have not done any driving in the rain to be able to speak of wet traction, and of course there is no snow around, but I have high hopes that they will be at least as good as the regular DWS.

The one thing I've noticed so far is that they are a bit loud. Now, I didn't have DWS in my MDX before, so it seems a bit unfair, but I don't remember this level of noise from the RDX or Saab (I had DWS in those ones).

Lastly, the tirerack prices I mentioned were quickly changed to make them the same price or to put the 06s at a higher price, I don't really recall.
The following 2 users liked this post by wrestrepo:
mrgold35 (06-04-2015), NBP04TL4ME (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Looking forward to transitioning to the DWS06 on my MDX when the time comes. I've already put +25,000 miles in 15 months and will be due for new tires next spring. I came off OEM Michelin that were extremely noisy on my MDX, so the Conti DWS were an improvement noise wise. My RDX is always noisy no matter the tire type as an comparison to the MDX or TSX. I would be curious if the DWS06 will give you close to the 50,000 miles or not.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:49 PM

The one thing I've noticed so far is that they are a bit loud. Now, I didn't have DWS in my MDX before, so it seems a bit unfair, but I don't remember this level of noise from the RDX or Saab (I had DWS in those ones).
I have the DWS on my daughter's Accord and they are pretty good noise-wise. I also have PureContact on the Mrs. ES350 and I feel they are a little more noisy, but I guess that is to be expected with an asymmetrical tread pattern of either tire. Best of luck with them
Old 06-04-2015, 04:20 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Looking forward to transitioning to the DWS06 on my MDX when the time comes. I've already put +25,000 miles in 15 months and will be due for new tires next spring. I came off OEM Michelin that were extremely noisy on my MDX, so the Conti DWS were an improvement noise wise. My RDX is always noisy no matter the tire type as an comparison to the MDX or TSX. I would be curious if the DWS06 will give you close to the 50,000 miles or not.
I got 42K out of the stock Michellins. I don't recall exactly how much I got from the DWS in my Saab, but my best guess is also around 40-45K miles.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the Conti LX20s on my MDX. why do you guys pick an ultra high performance A/S tire for the MDX over a dedicated crossover tire? esp since the MDX is so heavy compared to a sedan?

I have the DWS on my TL. They keep me out of trouble from enjoying too much cornering (read: I have to slow down a little and I don't really feel like pushing them because of the "soft sidewalls").
Old 06-07-2015, 07:11 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
I've been pretty happy with the Conti LX20s on my MDX. why do you guys pick an ultra high performance A/S tire for the MDX over a dedicated crossover tire? esp since the MDX is so heavy compared to a sedan?

I have the DWS on my TL. They keep me out of trouble from enjoying too much cornering (read: I have to slow down a little and I don't really feel like pushing them because of the "soft sidewalls").
I don't really know how to answer the questions, besides simply saying that I've had a very positive experience with the DWS. I do tend to believe as well that the ultra high performance will give you an additional edge in the rain, which is really (to me) the most important aspect.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 AM

FWIW- we were very happy with the original OEM Michelin Latitudes. We got 60K+ out of them so we replaced with the same. We had no issues with rain, snow or anything.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 AM
StayAtHomeDad

FWIW- we were very happy with the original OEM Michelin Latitudes. We got 60K+ out of them so we replaced with the same. We had no issues with rain, snow or anything.
I didn't have any complaints about the Michellins, but the Conti were cheaper with better ratings and my own personal experience...they (OEM) were not that great in the snow, but I don't know how the DWS/MDX combination will perform either, we'll see.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM

I didn't have any complaints about the Michellins, but the Conti were cheaper with better ratings and my own personal experience...they (OEM) were not that great in the snow, but I don't know how the DWS/MDX combination will perform either, we'll see.
Keep us posted as I believe you are one of the first (maybe the first) with the DWS06s on your vehicle here on AZ.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Keep us posted as I believe you are one of the first (maybe the first) with the DWS06s on your vehicle here on AZ.
I will try...The MDX has become my wife's DD, I am now behind the wheel of a 2015 GTI.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Thanks and I hear you. However if your household is like mine - auto maintenance fall squarely on me.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Thanks and I hear you. However if your household is like mine - auto maintenance fall squarely on me.
Oh it does too, even gasoline fill ups. I do get the MDX from time to time, and I am liking it now more than ever after driving the 2016 MDX, which I totally (well, almost totally) hated.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM

Old 06-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never had the DWS but DNS friends did. The first two winters are pretty good but they drop off in snow after that. The rain and dry are pretty good. It's likely my next tire for my mdx or my TL.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:35 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I have to report that the tires have been nothing but outstanding in the rain. For the past few days we have been getting crazy crazy rain in my area, and I have been driving the truck. There is not even a hint of hydroplaning, the car is very composed and there is an overall feel that the tires are doing their job and keeping you in "control" (as much as you can in the rain) of the road.

Originally Posted by Ernest72
Never had the DWS but DNS friends did. The first two winters are pretty good but they drop off in snow after that. The rain and dry are pretty good. It's likely my next tire for my mdx or my TL.
I think that this is something that will happen to ANY tire.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'll be in the market for new tires on my 2012 MDX (tech).

@wrestrepo: How are the DWS06 after almost a year of ownership? I'd like to stay with the OEM Michelin's, but they are expensive...
wrestrepo (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by TSX_831
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'll be in the market for new tires on my 2012 MDX (tech).

@wrestrepo: How are the DWS06 after almost a year of ownership? I'd like to stay with the OEM Michelin's, but they are expensive...
I wish I could give you a more detailed feedback, but truth be told I rarely drive the truck these days. I do stand by what I said before, that the tires are great in the rain and that they make for a very comfortable ride. I haven't had much opportunity to drive in the snow. If I was choosing between the Conti and Michellins, I'd go Continental again, I didn't think that the OEM tires were that good, and like you said, they are more expensive.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We don't get much rain here in Monterey, CA, but good to know that it handles well. I know that the stock Michelin's were pretty bad during a downpour from SFO back to Monterey last January.

For the time you were behind the wheel during dry conditions, would you say the tires had very good grip? Appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:07 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by TSX_831
Thanks for the reply. We don't get much rain here in Monterey, CA, but good to know that it handles well. I know that the stock Michelin's were pretty bad during a downpour from SFO back to Monterey last January.

For the time you were behind the wheel during dry conditions, would you say the tires had very good grip? Appreciate the feedback.
I would definitely endorse the Continental tires.
TSX_831 (03-03-2016)