Timing Belt change - Engine Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing Belt change - Engine Power Loss

Hello Guys, I need your expert advice for my current problem. I have timing belt package done on my 2011 MDX in it Acura Dealer changed Timing belt, Drive belt, water pump, tensioner and all six rings and pistons due to oil consumption. (I am putting this in a new thread as this issue is not because of failed ring piston job which I doubted before).

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...nt-job-952945/

After this job Car drives shitty. It has a little quick pick at Zero but after that car struggles to drive. Especially if I give sudden acceleration car RPM’s wiggle a little while car is thinking what to do and then car responds. At that situation engine sound is as if coming from a pipe with echo and response power is still at least 30% less. I have to accelerate more in general than before and fuel consumption is a lot more. Plus there is a weird thumping noise (helicopter Nosie or the humming you get when a diesel engine vehicle passes from zero to acceleration to 3rd gear) when I am at signal or put car at park. It is more pronounced when I turn the AC on. When I got the car from dealer this thumping noise was very loud when the car get to its cruzing speed. And then after couple of days I got CEL. I check with OBD2 and it had Perm codes for Random Cylinder Misfire 0301,0302,0303,0300. Returned car to dealer and he said the plugs where fouled and we have replaced the plugs. I believe its a complete BS as I never had CEL before why it become an issue now. Well after the spark plug change thumping noise reduced to 50% but it’s still there and I hear the same in cabin thumping noise and from the exhausts. Car still drives lethargic. I believe they did shitty timing belt job and it’s off a tooth. But dealer believes it’s all fine since no CEL is there. I made them to recheck their work and will be going back to them in a week. What I need to know from you guys what else could have gone wrong?

What I can confirm· They did change the spark plugs· Piston compression is o Cyl1=180o Cyl2=170o Cyl3=180o Cyl4=170o Cyl4=175o Cyl6=175· Had oil change done from a different dealership and they reported Engine oil Leak with following suggestionso Replace oil pump gasketo Replace right valve covero Replace left valve cover.I noticed the 3 tips of Ignition coils have different colors. May be they have changed it. I believe that car is still a Tooth off and they got rid of it by changing/playing with ignition timing. (Can it be changed btw)?On 2011 MDX engine can the engine timing belt be off a tooth with CEL being off. Is it possible that crank sensor is misaligned?Belts too tight. (It’s a stupid question but I want to account all possibilities) What else you guys can suggest they screwed up/ touched in this job which resulted in shitty Engine power.Before this job this car was fun to drive and always responded to a little flick on throttle. Dealer promised to recheck their work but I think their main tech would be less interested to work on this and admitting his mistake.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hard to say.. if the rings weren't changed I would say the belt is probably off by 1 tooth. Which wouldn't trigger a CEL, but it will drive like crap (especially in the lower RPM), and get better as RPM climbs.