Sucks to be me right now

Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucks to be me right now

Bought an 09 MDX Tech a couple years ago. Right off the bat, it had clunking noises front and back. Dealer assured me it was bad sway bar links. I had 3rd party extended warranty, so I replaced them, front and back. Clunks never went away and had dealer recheck. They said the front struts and rear shocks are going bad. Called in the 3rd party warranty estimator. He says they'd cover them, BUT only if they are leaking. So I dealt with the clunking for a couple months. Had a left rear window motor go, so brought it in for warranty replacement and asked the dealer to check if the suspension was "leaking" yet. They said no but called in the warranty estimator to see if he'd approve replacing them, because they were clunking bad by this time. He said nope, not leaking. Over a year later, noticed the rear shocks leaking. Brought it in and the warranty estimator said rears are leaking but not fronts. So he goes and runs the part numbers on the rear shocks, then tells me that my extended warranty does not cover shocks, only strut assemblies, which had no visible leaks. Recently, I just received this ACURA warranty extension for replacement of the shocks/struts BUT we just went over 100,000 miles and so I called ACURA and the warranty doesn't apply to me because it's over 100K miles, even thought I've have recorded paperwork that I've had this issue since before. Freaking estimator, if he'd told me that they didn't cover from the get go, I could've paid to get them replaced and got reimbursed by this Acura warranty extension. The Acura warranty extension says that the front struts will leak but can be undetected because the "shield thingy" would catch the leak and we wouldn't be able to see that it's leaking, but 3rd party warranty is expired now, so it's moot too.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear OP
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm assuming you have a sport model with the magnetic shocks/struts. Do you have paperwork supporting the inspection and knocking before the 100,000 miles limit? I would call other Acura dealerships in the area to see if they would look at the paperwork and perform a goodwill fix. The worst that could happen is they can say no.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
I got mine replaced, last month, under the new warranty extension.
I drove on non-electronic shocks, for 9 months and I am not in love with my new soft and softer ride options.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Are you saying the Non-Sport shocks are Firmer than the Sport Mode on the Mag Shocks?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Racer

Yes, I feel that they are softer, however they do firm up when aggressively cornering, but that's not how I drive an suv.

So, if I knew then what I know now...I'd bought a Base MDX and upgraded the front and rear sway bars.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:17 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Well that is a first... A lot of people complained about the firm ride of the Sport Mode on the Sport Shocks being overkill.
They always said that the Non Sport shocks were in between the Sport Modes.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Carpayment4life
I got mine replaced, last month, under the new warranty extension.
I drove on non-electronic shocks, for 9 months and I am not in love with my new soft and softer ride options.

What where the non magnetic shocks/struts you had before? I'm already at +87,000 miles with no issues and planning to keep my MDX +120,000 miles. I might have to switch to the version you liked when the time comes.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm assuming you have a sport model with the magnetic shocks/struts. Do you have paperwork supporting the inspection and knocking before the 100,000 miles limit? I would call other Acura dealerships in the area to see if they would look at the paperwork and perform a goodwill fix. The worst that could happen is they can say no.
Not sure if it's sport model, I have the button to switch between the 2 ride settings. It has GPS and all that except the entertainment stuff. I did read on another link about putting in the regular shocks/struts and using a diode to bypass the electronic plugs. It's my wife's SUV and she only drives to and from work (about 10 min. each way) so she won't worry about switching between the two settings. My local Acura dealership isn't much help. I called the number on the warranty, I think Acura Service, and even the guy on the phone said it would be hard to get them replaced under warranty, even though I have paperwork. As for goodwill? I bought my used '13 TL from them with 3/3000 mile warranty because of mileage on TL. Just a little over 3 month, I got a MAF sensor check engine light on and they wouldn't even check it for me, in goodwill. They were willing to check it but have to charge me. That's the kind of service I get there, even thought that's the 3rd Acura I have bought from them. I will call another dealership, but they are 80 miles away but worth it if they are willing to look into it for me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
What where the non magnetic shocks/struts you had before? I'm already at +87,000 miles with no issues and planning to keep my MDX +120,000 miles. I might have to switch to the version you liked when the time comes.
Rears... KYB 349025 shocks, with 2 ohm 10 w resistors.
Fronts... (mdx base) oem complete assembly, with 5 ohm 10 w resistors.

I used them for 7,000 miles, before going back to eds shocks, which were replaced under the extended waranty.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (02-09-2017)

Search this Thread