AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   SOLUTION: 01-06 MDX Lowering Springs!!!! Group Buy Here! (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/solution-01-06-mdx-lowering-springs-group-buy-here-769669/)

ccannizz11 03-28-2010 03:09 PM

SOLUTION: 01-06 MDX Lowering Springs!!!! Group Buy Here!

I just picked up our new (to us) MDX this weekend. But I've been interested in lowering it ever since I knew we were gonna pick one up. Searches on here and the google showed that no solutions were available for the MDX platform. :whyme: But I think we can change that.

I contacted a few of the companies that have been listed in previous threads, as well as some I just found on google, to see if they'd be interested in developing an aftermarket suspension for us. One of them sent this reply back:

Hey Chris,

We would be glad to help out. We have heard of some interest in this project. But nobody has stepped up and brought a vehicle to us to work on. We would need a vehicle for 4 or 5 days. Generally, we would need sales for 4 or 5 sets in order to cover our development costs. We can discuss a special deal for the person that brings their car in for the development.... So let me know how many may be interested and if we can get someone to provide the vehicle.

:ecstatic:

OK, so it looks like all we need is someone to do without their MDX for a few days in exchange for a discount and we'll be good to go. They are located in MD.

I vote for FiftyFive or luckyAKAhappy to make the 3-4 hour trip to make this happen. :wish: :toocool:

I've already sent a reply email to get a ballpark price for a set. Let's get a list going for those that are interested. If you want in, just copy the list below and add your username to the bottom. More details to follow.

1. ccannizz11

FiftyFive 03-28-2010 06:32 PM

Very interested in the ballpark figure, please post once you get it!

ccannizz11 03-28-2010 07:39 PM

He gave me an estimated price of $270 for each set...

and the original group could pick any color they wanted at no extra charge (if that matters to you). I think they normally come in a light blue (i.e. Laguna Seca Blue), and charge $60 to powdercoat a different color.

FiftyFive 03-28-2010 07:47 PM

Any ideas on specs? How much will it lower and for what year mdxs?

ccannizz11 03-28-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by FiftyFive (Post 11868253)
Any ideas on specs? How much will it lower and for what year mdxs?

From talking to him, I believe those are things (spring rate, height, etc.) that we can decide as a group and he'll make them the way we want. But I will double check with him.

I was anticipating the 01-06 MDX, but I'm sure that depends on which model he gets for development. Is the suspension/chassis different for the newer model years?

EDIT:

Yes, this guy responds to emails really quickly... I like :thumbsup:

We would love to hear what everyone wants. The springs work best with a dual rate. That is how we acheive the "softness" of the ride and why it is important to have the vehicle for road testing. We do lots of road testing and tweaking until we are 100% satisfied with the ride quality and how it handles or feels on bumps, potholes, bridge joints, railroad crossings,etc. During this process we determine the best configuration of the spring to acheive the results that we are looking for. I hope that answers your questions.

DJRamzy 03-29-2010 01:36 PM

holy crap... someone finally did this.

I have a 2003 MDX sitting on 20s... I wouldn't want my tires to rub... duno how to figure out the spring rate and height for that.

BUT, BIG KUDOS to you! I have been thinking about putting my MDX on airbags for the longest time, but springs are so much more cost efficient.

where in MD? i live in Point of Rocks.

Pm/email if you want, I am VERY interested. (r a m z y h a d d a d 1 @ g m a i l . c o m)

DJRamzy 03-29-2010 01:37 PM

also, they can use my car if they get me a loaner.

ccannizz11 03-29-2010 02:23 PM

Is it okay if I add you to the list? I'll send you a pm soon.

1. ccannizz11
2. DJBLAST
3. FiftyFive???

DJRamzy 03-29-2010 03:06 PM

working on getting 1 more. hopefully this thread gets a little more exposure and we can make (a little) history here! (EXCITED)

jnk_acct 03-30-2010 06:35 PM

I would be interested for a set of 2007-09 MDX springs for under $400.

The problem is the few of us who buys this are probably the beta testers.

ccannizz11 03-30-2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jnk_acct (Post 11874689)
I would be interested for a set of 2007-09 MDX springs for under $400.

The problem is the few of us who buys this are probably the beta testers.

They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Does anyone know if the suspensions are different for the 01-06 vs. the 07-09 model years??? I'm not familiar enough with the MDX yet to have this knowledge.

Majofo 03-31-2010 03:07 PM

:popcorn:

badbrad108 04-01-2010 01:25 PM

Is a set all four or front set and back set
Thanks

ccannizz11 04-01-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by badbrad108 (Post 11880706)
Is a set all four or front set and back set
Thanks

All four corners in a set.

chaosnexstacy 04-07-2010 04:34 PM

I live in southern Maryland and might be able to donate mine for the cause just let me know.

ccannizz11 04-07-2010 08:21 PM

Can I put you on the list? Anyone else want to go ahead and add their name?

I'd like to be able to tell my contact that we have a solid group. and we can start hashing out the specs. A quick and dirty measurement shows that we have about 4.75 inch gap to work with on stock suspension. I'm thinking a 2 inch drop all around, with progressive springs would work. The spring rate would vary, but I think it would need to be close to whatever the stock spring is in order to help maintain ride comfort. Any thoughts?

1. ccannizz11
2. DJBLAST
3. FiftyFive???
4. chaosnexstacy

Paclark01 04-07-2010 09:24 PM

Put me on the list!!! I have a 2004, and live in Montgomery County, MD. I am more than willing to donate my MDX if need be.

Let me know where things stand.

ccannizz11 04-07-2010 11:14 PM

Lots of MD peeps....

1. ccannizz11
2. DJBLAST
3. FiftyFive???
4. chaosnexstacy
5. Paclark01

DJRamzy 04-08-2010 10:30 AM

i had my mechanic take a look at my suspension. he said if we lower the cars, we would have to do work to the rear suspension because of some reason or another... anyone else hear of this?

DJRamzy 04-08-2010 10:31 AM

I have 20's on my car, a 2'' drop should work just fine. if not, i'm sure they can accommodate.

Originally Posted by ccannizz11 (Post 11901535)
Can I put you on the list? Anyone else want to go ahead and add their name?

I'd like to be able to tell my contact that we have a solid group. and we can start hashing out the specs. A quick and dirty measurement shows that we have about 4.75 inch gap to work with on stock suspension. I'm thinking a 2 inch drop all around, with progressive springs would work. The spring rate would vary, but I think it would need to be close to whatever the stock spring is in order to help maintain ride comfort. Any thoughts?

1. ccannizz11
2. DJBLAST
3. FiftyFive???
4. chaosnexstacy

ccannizz11 04-08-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJBLAST (Post 11903130)
i had my mechanic take a look at my suspension. he said if we lower the cars, we would have to do work to the rear suspension because of some reason or another... anyone else hear of this?

Did he say why? Or what kind of work?

DJRamzy 04-12-2010 11:12 AM

can't recall exactaly, he said I would need a new control arm I think? All I remember is him saying lowering springs would cause too many problems, due to the change in camber (?) & how the wheel will go inward when it's dropped.

Originally Posted by ccannizz11 (Post 11903753)
Did he say why? Or what kind of work?

1tufgt 04-12-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DJBLAST (Post 11914238)
can't recall exactaly, he said I would need a new control arm I think? All I remember is him saying lowering springs would cause too many problems, due to the change in camber (?) & how the wheel will go inward when it's dropped.

If you lower a vehicle your camber will toe in more than it would stock. Also you will have to realize you will need to eventually replace your shocks & struts due to the increase wear that will be put on them.

ccannizz11 04-12-2010 12:39 PM

That's not an easy addition. Do you know what kind of drop he was thinking of?

Usually I would expect camber or control arm issues if we were going to slam it. But just knocking off a couple inches on a car that has 4 inches of room to work with normally wouldn't be an issue.

bsqgeo 04-13-2010 12:29 PM

I live in MD with a 2001 Black MDX.... Might be convinced.

ccannizz11 04-14-2010 10:14 AM

OK, I think the best approach here is to decide on a drop that everyone is comfortable with. And then have someone local consult with the people developing these springs about how to do this without requiring further modification or too many additional adjustments. I think a 2" drop is satisfactory, assuming it can be done without any problems.

I'm assuming we'll want to maintain ride comfort as much as possible. I don't think increased handling response or better cornering is a huge concern for anyone involved in this. Certainly we don't want it to get worse, but maintaining ride comfort takes precedence over better handling.

I'll leave this here for a few days for anyone to comment on a drop, then I'll pm everyone who's shown interest to get a firm yes/no before contacting the vendor to set up a meet with someone who can bring their MDX along for evaluation.

jnc2000 05-27-2010 02:35 PM

I'll throw this out for consideration... The Ridgeline suspension is very similar to the MDX in many aspects - abit beefed up a bit...

I'm in PA, and I'd be willing to lend a Ridgeline for R&D.

2xplizit4u 05-29-2010 02:36 AM

if i were out in that cost i would donate my car for 2 weeks as long as it got me some springs!!!! i would think 1.5"-2" drop would be sufficient. take account my snowboarding gear and full trunk load/people load. as long as it doesnt bottom out or tires rub against the wheel well when i go over tracks or potholes.

usually in my civic a 2" drop makes my wheels rub so i have gotten eibach stock springs which still give me a .75-1.2" drop which is more than enough with the lips on car.

nothing worse than dented dc headers

2xplizit4u 05-29-2010 02:38 AM

but yes i to would like to know when these springs come out. color doesnt matter as i can powder coat them myself.

keep me on the wait list!!!

ccannizz11 06-07-2010 10:24 AM

1. ccannizz11
2. DJBLAST
3. FiftyFive???
4. chaosnexstacy
5. Paclark01
6. 2xplizit4u

Alright, I think I've let this sit here for long enough. Within the next week, I will pm everyone to get a firm answer and try to line up at least one person willing to drop off their MDX for development.

dbledizl 06-09-2010 10:44 PM

keep us all updated on the price and on how the ride is so i can consider it if it gets done.

dc5chris209 06-16-2010 03:05 PM

Definately count me in on a set. I have both a 02 mdx and 06 pilot and from knowledge and research I can safely say these will work for with application. IMO a 2"-2.5" drop will look very nice on our cars, idealy though 2" front 1.8" rear/2.3" front 2" rear would look and work our best as you want to compensate for additional rear weight. As far as spring rates go since the overall height of the spring will be shorter you will want a higher spring rate .5k-1k over stock give or take based on the manufacters recommendation. Camber will be a slight issue here but if you are runing larger rims it should even out, I can tell you from experience the front can be adjusted via camber bolts which are available and it is also possible in the rear using plates or washers (I will need to look at the cars). Even if we were unable to adjust the rear camber as long as the toe angle is properly adjusted there should be no dramatic increase in tire wear.

Also who is going to be manufacturing these?

Please excuse the huge un proof read sentence I wrote on my iPhone in the car.

dc5chris209 06-16-2010 03:07 PM

Also to answer the question above these will not work on the 2nd generation mdx as the suspension has been redesigned.

dc5chris209 06-16-2010 03:19 PM

Just took a look under the car and good news. Rear camber can be adjusted using adjustable ball joints which I am confident I can source.

svtmike 06-18-2010 06:30 PM

I think you guys are crazy. :2cents:

betob13vvl 06-19-2010 07:00 PM

saw this post and i had to join the site. ive been looking for springs, coilovers for this freakin car. and ideal height drop would be front 1.5-1.8 rear 1.3-1.6 due to the fact that i go on trips with my friends and family. You figure 2 people in the front bout 300-350lbs. 2 people in the middle another 300-400lbs and someone riding bitch in the 3rd row and most importantly the cooler full of beers about 175-220lbs. now ive hand a 92 sentra ser and a 95 civic both slammed but those types of cars are meant for other things these are suv's. there ment for cruisin, for everyday errands, for trips to the doctor, getting to work. I live in NY and the potholes here suck, traffic sucks. Last thing i need is to hit a pot hole goin 65-70 and start bouncing all over the place. well before i keep rabbling count me in for a set

dc5chris209 06-21-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by betob13vvl (Post 12109636)
saw this post and i had to join the site. ive been looking for springs, coilovers for this freakin car. and ideal height drop would be front 1.5-1.8 rear 1.3-1.6 due to the fact that i go on trips with my friends and family. You figure 2 people in the front bout 300-350lbs. 2 people in the middle another 300-400lbs and someone riding bitch in the 3rd row and most importantly the cooler full of beers about 175-220lbs. now ive hand a 92 sentra ser and a 95 civic both slammed but those types of cars are meant for other things these are suv's. there ment for cruisin, for everyday errands, for trips to the doctor, getting to work. I live in NY and the potholes here suck, traffic sucks. Last thing i need is to hit a pot hole goin 65-70 and start bouncing all over the place. well before i keep rabbling count me in for a set

If you want that height drop just use the lowering springs from h&r for the 06 odyssey they fit like a glove.

To the poster above crazy maybe :D different maybe not. I just want a good drop so I can fill the fender gap when I get my 19's

DJRamzy 07-13-2010 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dc5chris209 (Post 12112890)
If you want that height drop just use the lowering springs from h&r for the 06 odyssey they fit like a glove.

To the poster above crazy maybe :D different maybe not. I just want a good drop so I can fill the fender gap when I get my 19's

seriously? where? also for what year would they fit? ive got an 03 on 20s, i need a DROP!!!

k, i found them for the oddyssey, but how do you know they'll fit perfectly? I know that the odyssey is basically like almost the same car, but i would hate to put the springs on only to find out they dont fit. ya know?

OutkastSL 07-16-2010 02:47 AM

Any updates on this? I'd love a minor drop on my MDX 1.5-2" is perfect.

ccannizz11 08-03-2010 09:41 AM

1. ccannizz11
2. DJBLAST
3. FiftyFive???
4. chaosnexstacy
5. Paclark01
6. 2xplizit4u
7. dc5chris209
8. betob13vvl

Sorry guys, work has been killing me for the last two months trying to get some siht done for a July 31 deadline.

PM's going out today.