Question on 2011/2012 MDX Keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:53 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on 2011/2012 MDX Keys

This really doesn't seem like an outrageous question, but I'm having a heck of a time getting a solid answer.

I'm having a Compustar alarm/remote start installed in my 2011 MDX. Did my wife's MDX last week. The remote for the alarm/starter is an average sized fob. Both vehicles have the spring loaded factory keys (key springs out of the fob).

Now, I tend to put my key in my pocket while I'm out and not in the vehicle and I don't particularly want to have both the Acura fob/Key and the Compustar fob hooked together. Just makes for a lot to stuff into your jeans pocket.

So I want to get just a chipped key for the car similar to the valet key BUT that also triggers the vehicle memory for driver one and two. No one seems to be able to tell me definitively whether this can be accomplished or not. Acura dealer says I need to get a valet key and just deal with the fact that the key won't trigger the diver one/two settings. A locksmith seemed to think that there is something else in the Acura key fobs (aside from the chip) that tells the vehicle which key is being inserted.

Has anyone done this successfully? Or knows enough about the keys to give me a good answer to this?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Yeah, I believe the fob is what tells the car what driver. The key itself just has the immobilzer chip, it doesn't have Driver 1 or Driver 2 settings.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You have to link the FOBs for Driver 1 or 2 to engage the memory settings for each key. Seems like you should be able to unlink the keys as well. You still can press the Memory 1 or 2 settings on the door to move the driver's seat. I had to link my FOBs in the past whenever they because unlinked in the past. Disconnecting the car battery just wipes the memory seat settings and Navi/radio code(s). I don't know how to unlink a FOB. Might have been when I changed out the batteries?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it sounds as though there is additional required electronics in the fob itself that triggers the memory settings in the vehicle. Which isn't the answer I wanted, but I'll have to live with it.

Thanks for the assist!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I did put a Viper alarm with remote start on my son't 06 TSX when he was in high school. The TSX has a separated key and fob. Made it easy to switch out the Acura fob with the Viper fob since TSX keys and fob were not attached together like my RDX and MDX. Every function he had before with the Acura fob was transferred to the Viper fob EXCEPT the memory seats. Not 100% sure on this since he was the only driver and he had both memory positions set for him. The alarm tech told me to keep the Acura fob in the house and never use because it is still active along with the Viper fob+alarm.

I'm just guessing; but, the memory seat and factory alarm functions are embedded in the Acura fob. The car key+immobilizer chip is with the key only. You might have an issue having two active fobs on the same key chain? You might have to test this theory out once the aftermarket alarm is installed. You might have to cut a separate key with immobilizer chip and toss the Acura key fob in the junk drawer? Trying to figure this part out was the reason I didn't upgrade the alarm in my MDX.