Planning to do oil change every 7k interval

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Planning to do oil change every 7k interval

Hi everyone, I have 2011 MDX Advance with 78600 miles on it. I had been using mobile 1 synthetic with OEM oil filter since the day I bought the car new with 5 miles on it. I have been changing oil every 3k intervals per the MID (around 10-5% of oil life). Now I am thinking I might flushing good oil for all those oil changes. Going forward i am going to do oil changes every 7k miles using mobile 1 5w-30 Extended Performance and mobile 1 M1-110A oil filter. Here is are the pictures of my oil at 6,630 miles using mobile 1 5w-20 synthetic and OEM oil filter. Let me what you think.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
You'll most definitely be fine changing every 7K, especially using the Extended Performance. That oil is quite clean. Chemical properties (ability to effectively lubricate) is also important, but with Mobil 1 EP, that would certainly not be a problem at 3K miles.

My only suggestion would be to see if the M1-104A will fit the MDX. I can almost guarantee it will. That filter is used on the S2000 and is larger, essentially increasing the filtration surface area. It has the same threading as the M1-110A but the gasket is slightly larger. For the J35, it's still well within the oil filter connection so I'd think that would also be the case with the J37 you have in the MDX. I've used it on my 2006 and 2012 TL with good results.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Racer

I bought M1-107A filter, which is the same size as M1-104, but the metal frame of the filter sit a little bit over the oil housing on the engine.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Racer

My oil at 6663 mile
Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How you drive has a lot to do with Oil Change interval frequency. Lots of short trips and city driving will contaminate oil much more quickly than fully warming up an engine by driving 15 / 20 miles after cold startup, therfore more frequent oil changes are beneficial. Also consider that my MDX (2013) has a fill capacity of only 4 1/2 quarts of engine oil. Lots of longer trips with a fully warmed up engine would allow 7,500 miles or so between changes while lots of 5 mile trips with intervals long enough to allow the engine to full cool off would require changes at 3,000 to 5,000 miles (or sooner). Also keep in mind that ONE YEAR is the maximum time any oil should be in your crankcase. Finally, Purolator makes a superior oil filter which you should consider to protect your engines service life.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:14 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerryjohn
Also keep in mind that ONE YEAR is the maximum time any oil should be in your crankcase.
The 1-year requirement only applies to conventional oil; synthetic oil can be kept in the engine for two years.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so my friend

The one year requirement applies to ALL oil types. The requirement is because no matter what the composition of the oil (mineral, vegetable, synthetic) it collects and retains contaminants created by the start up process that may contaminate, corrode, or otherwise damage your engine and its components. Please do not accept that synthetic oil removes the annual change requirement. Synthetic will provide lubrication properties after the one year period, but it carries the contaminants, acids, and other junk that the oil filter cannot remove back to the bearings, rings, etc. and WILL cause damage to the engine.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerryjohn
The one year requirement applies to ALL oil types. The requirement is because no matter what the composition of the oil (mineral, vegetable, synthetic) it collects and retains contaminants created by the start up process that may contaminate, corrode, or otherwise damage your engine and its components. Please do not accept that synthetic oil removes the annual change requirement. Synthetic will provide lubrication properties after the one year period, but it carries the contaminants, acids, and other junk that the oil filter cannot remove back to the bearings, rings, etc. and WILL cause damage to the engine.
Sorry, no. Don't believe me? No problem. Check any number of European marques; they actively recommend 15,000 (or more) miles per oil change interval OR two years, whichever comes first.