Opti Coat on MDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Opti Coat on MDX

I'm planning to have Opti Coat applied on the MDX. Anyone here who has Opti Coat installed on any of their vehicles? Is it worth it? Any feedback would be appreciated. The detailer I talked to is quoting $350 for the whole thing.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioMDXer
I'm planning to have Opti Coat applied on the MDX. Anyone here who has Opti Coat installed on any of their vehicles? Is it worth it? Any feedback would be appreciated. The detailer I talked to is quoting $350 for the whole thing.

Thanks!
I've never heard of Opti Coat but I did have ResistALL put on my car (I do it for all my cars because we have pine trees on our property that rain sap all over our vehicles). I wonder if the Opti Coat is the same thing? ResistALL is an external and internal coating that protects the paint/finish and interior surfaces, has a 7 year warranty, and if they can't fix it they will replace it (even covers tears to leather interior). It makes removal of pine sap VERY easy with a little dab of Denatured Alcohol. I can't say enough about this stuff. It retails for $695 at my dealer but they only charged me $395.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ohio, hello, how are you? I just purchased opti-coat last week for my 2012 odyssey and my friends 2013 accord. I haven't applied it yet but plan to in the next couple of weeks.

What I can tell you is this - I think $350 is a fair price as long as it is done right. By this I mean that the process for applying should be:
- proper wash of car
- removal of any previous protection/wax
- decontamination of paint - clay the paint and possibly iron-x
- polish the paint to perfection. This is a must because the application of opti-coat is permanent. It basically becomes the new surface of your paint. It's like adding another layer of clear coat. The compounding and polishing step is to remove swirls marks from your paint and bring clarity to it. Any imperfections left behind will get sealed in under the opti coat.
- proper application of the opti-coat product. This should include not only your paint but also also your wheels, headlights and tail lights.
- do not apply this to your glass.

As you can see it is a lot of work. For $350 it's not a bad deal. I have seen private detailers charge a lot more. Dealers don't have a great reputation for having good detailers on staff.

Personally, on my MDX I have g-technique EXO. It's like opti-coat but its only semi-permanent. I think it gives a better shine as well as having better water repellency.

On my 350z I have g-technique C1 crystal lacquer and topped with EXO. It's more protection and should last me a little longer.

I am going to be applying opti-coat 2.0 on my odyssey soon and I picked it because its permanent and I don't enjoy washing it as much as I do my other cars.

If you have any questions let me know.
The following users liked this post:
OhioMDXer (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Best thing ever made. I have it on my X, and this is the 2nd vehicle I've had it on. It's worth every penny. I'm getting it on every vehicle I purchase.
The following users liked this post:
OhioMDXer (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Opti-Coat Pro applied!

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and had Opti-Coat Pro applied to my MDX today. I'm very satisfied with the application done by the detailer. They have extensive experience with Opti-Coat and other Optimum detailing products. They did all the necessary prep (including washing, decontaminating, polishing, and buffing of very minor scratches) before applying the Opti-Coat. The detailer was very thorough. After application, they let it set for an hour, and then applied Opti-Seal (paint sealant that adds more slickness and gloss). Overall, the detailer did a very good job. I highly recommend this detailing company. They're very professional, their rates are very reasonable, and most of all the service is superb.
For those interested, this is their website. I am in no way connected/affiliated with this detailing company. Just a very satisfied customer trying to help their business grow as I want them to apply Opti-Coat on my next car.

Last edited by OhioMDXer; 07-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That's awesome Ohio. How bout some pics? Time to show off a bit .
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
That's awesome Ohio. How bout some pics? Time to show off a bit .
Thanks ntwillie1! I posted some photos in the 2014 Dedicated Picture Thread (post #3) but those were taken before the Opti Coat was applied. The difference that I noticed is how much easier it is to clean the MDX after the Opti Coat was applied. It restores to that distinctive gloss even after light wiping. It also seems to be more scratch resistant (minor ones). The paint is now definitely hydrophobic (repels water). So far, I'm very satisfied with my decision to get OptiCoat.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks ntwillie1! I posted some photos in the 2014 Dedicated Picture Thread (post #3) but those were taken before the Opti Coat was applied. The difference that I noticed is how much easier it is to clean the MDX after the Opti Coat was applied. It restores to that distinctive gloss even after light wiping. It also seems to be more scratch resistant (minor ones). The paint is now definitely hydrophobic (repels water). So far, I'm very satisfied with my decision to get OptiCoat.
I wonder how it handles pine tree sap? I'm starting to wonder if I should remove my ResistALL and have the Opti Coat applied... this forum... <SIGH>
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by snookssec
I wonder how it handles pine tree sap? I'm starting to wonder if I should remove my ResistALL and have the Opti Coat applied... this forum... <SIGH>
I say keep the ResistALL on the MDX for awhile and then maybe in a couple of years or so you strip it off and then apply the Opti-Coat. Either way you look at it, you do have protection on your paint.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Hi -
I'm confused. On the website you provided they say (see below). Was the $350 that you paid in addition to a "complete exterior detail" which costs $$$ too or the full amount you paid? Also they say right on their website that SUVs are higher priced so I'm trying to figure out how the $350 you mention fits into their website pricing.

I've been looking at having the Opticoat done myself and $350 is nowhere near what I've seen quoted by several reputable detailers on websites like Autogeek.net, Autopia, etc.

Can you provide more detail (pun not intended)?

Thanks!
Mike

Pricing:
Starting at $349.95*
(requires complete exterior detail before opti-coat)

*Price quoted is for Car/Small SUV. Larger vehicles requiring additional application times are priced accordingly
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdbenge
Hi -
I'm confused. On the website you provided they say (see below). Was the $350 that you paid in addition to a "complete exterior detail" which costs $$$ too or the full amount you paid? Also they say right on their website that SUVs are higher priced so I'm trying to figure out how the $350 you mention fits into their website pricing.

I've been looking at having the Opticoat done myself and $350 is nowhere near what I've seen quoted by several reputable detailers on websites like Autogeek.net, Autopia, etc.

Can you provide more detail (pun not intended)?

Thanks!
Mike

Pricing:
Starting at $349.95*
(requires complete exterior detail before opti-coat)

*Price quoted is for Car/Small SUV. Larger vehicles requiring additional application times are priced accordingly

Hi! They will have to inspect the paint first and assess if they need to do some buffing, polishing, and/or claying before applying the OptiCoat. Remember, OptiCoat is a permanent sealant and proper preparation needs to be done before applying it.

Since I brought my car to them brand new (virtually straight from the dealership), they didn't find any blemishes, scratches, or swirls that need to be fixed before applying the OptiCoat. In short, no exterior detailing was needed prior. If the paint on your MDX is the same, then you will only be charged for $350 (at least based on my experience). Note: even brand new vehicles brought straight from the dealership can have paint blemishes and/or swirls, or minor scratches.

They didn't charge me extra even if the MDX is classified as an SUV.

Last edited by OhioMDXer; 08-30-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I thought that would be the case but wanted to check. I know the folks I've been talking to are basing their estimates on what condition I tell them the paint is in. Mine is about a 8 of 10 and I'm very, very picky on how my vehicles look so I'm probably a little conservative on my numbers.

Once again, thank you for responding.

Mike