AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   Oil Consumption Letter - Engine overhaul COMPLETED (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/oil-consumption-letter-engine-overhaul-completed-978990/)

vtec_v6 04-23-2019 09:30 AM

Oil Consumption Letter - Engine overhaul COMPLETED

Hello, all.

So my 2010 MDX Adv with 150k just got an engine overhaul completed at the dealer. After receiving the oil consumption letter from Acura, I contacted my dealer and went to get an oil change which I had to pay for (I've read various conflicting posts on other forums in regards to WHO pays for the oil consumption test. Also, I just had my oil changed maybe 200 miles before I received the Acura letter, so my maintenance minder was still reading 100%. Paying for an oil change is not an issue if there's a possibility of an engine rebuild). I brought the MDX back after 1k miles and resulted in loss of 1.3 quarts. I initially had a dilemma as the MDX drove great and only issue I had with the drive train was the oil consumption which progressively got worse--dilemma being Acura Factory built engine which lasted me this far versus dealer technician rebuilt engine. In the end, I decided to go with the rebuild. There was a 2 week wait for the parts to come in. They kept my MDX for another 2 weeks for the fix--and I had a brand new TLX for a loaner. While they had the engine open, I also had my timing belt and water pump replaced (which includes coolant change and all the accessory belts) And yes, I did the regular 105k service at the dealer few years ago so I did prematurely change the timing belt and water pump from the recommended service interval; but I wasn't too comfortable about reusing the timing belt when the svc advisor informed me they will be removing and reusing the existing belt.

It's too early to give a final verdict on the engine rebuild, as I've only put about 200 miles on it, but it's been driving great so far--can definitely feel the difference during acceleration. I'll update as I'll keep an eye on the engine oil level.

Carpayment4life 04-26-2019 05:56 AM

Where's the dealer located?

nats007 05-03-2019 10:01 AM

Thanks for the input! Currently at the dealership doing my oil consumption test and waiting to see what Acura will say.

Please keep us posted on the overhaul.

DBConz 05-16-2019 07:02 PM

I was going to do the same timing & pump on mine as well. What did they charge you for it, since the labor was mostly already covered?

vtec_v6 05-17-2019 09:26 AM

@Carpayment4life - Rallye Acura

@DBConz - $800 for Timing Belt+Water Pump KIT (includes accessories belt, coolant, power steering, etc.).

I've put about 1,500 miles on the MDX since the engine overhaul. The engine feels awesome--pulls like a brand new vehicle. I do hear a faint squeak from engine compartment whenever I turn the climate control on which wasn't there before the engine overhaul so I am keeping an eye on that but other than that minute noise, I am very happy with the rebuild. My first post rebuild oil change was done at 1,200 miles.

sktn77a 06-04-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by vtec_v6 (Post 16427524)
I do hear a faint squeak from engine compartment whenever I turn the climate control on which wasn't there before the engine overhaul so I am keeping an eye on that

Probably just a belt slipping, but have them check it out.

m ef 11-21-2019 10:29 AM

Ive been waiting 3 months for dealer to get my engine parts for replacement. Can you tell me how long you waited before dealer made the engine repair? thanks

dopeboy1 11-21-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by m ef (Post 16508350)
Ive been waiting 3 months for dealer to get my engine parts for replacement. Can you tell me how long you waited before dealer made the engine repair? thanks

2 weeks.

But it varies greatly due to part availability and how many people are ahead of you.

12mdx 11-23-2019 04:21 PM

@DBConz - $800 for Timing Belt+Water Pump KIT (includes accessories belt, coolant, power steering, etc.).

I've put about 1,500 miles on the MDX since the engine overhaul. The engine feels awesome--pulls like a brand new vehicle. I do hear a faint squeak from engine compartment whenever I turn the climate control on which wasn't there before the engine overhaul so I am keeping an eye on that but other than that minute noise, I am very happy with the rebuild. My first post rebuild oil change was done at 1,200 miles.

Just wondering why you did a oil change only 1,200 miles after the re build???

12mdx 11-23-2019 04:40 PM

we just got out 2012 back from the sea;er for the engine re build. Here is the parts list. Its pretty extensive. Pistons for god sakes. It took 2 months plus to get the parts in and Acura had out MDX for 5 weeks!! Has a supper nice TLX A spec as a loner. Great little car. So far it runs awesome. Might have a bit more engine noise than before, but its hard to tell. Will be interesting to see of the repair actually fixed the oil use. In the parts list, there is a timing belt listed. Does that mean they changed it?? We did change the belt and pump at 150K kilometres.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...c74bac0511.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...be4786b6ca.jpg

sktn77a 11-24-2019 04:59 PM

Had a similar experience with my Lexus IS250 a couple of years back. Similar extent of parts replacement and the engine was definitely noisier after the factory rebuild

dopeboy1 11-26-2019 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 12mdx (Post 16509337)
Just wondering why you did a oil change only 1,200 miles after the re build???

Myself and others have done an oil change around 1000 miles after the rebuild. Reason being that with so many new parts there could be a little bit of a 'break-in' period where the oil could get contaminated with metal shavings or other things etc. Its just a precaution to get that potentially contaminated oil out and continue on with normal oil changes. Also babied the car for those 1000 miles. No reving over 4k rpm. Again its just a precaution but it seemed like a good idea when I saw someone else suggest it so I did the same.

vtec_v6 01-14-2020 08:20 AM

My first oil change service at the dealer since the engine overhaul (I did the break-in oil change at 1200 miles); this service was for maintenance minder at 5%. Needed oil change, tire rotation and alignment. I've periodically checked the dipstick and did not need to add any oil. Very happy with the result. Currently my MDX has 154k on the odometer.

I did have to bring my mdx in to get the alternator changed at the dealer back in August 2019 (battery wouldn't hold charge). I kept it on trickle charger, and as soon as I pulled into the dealer dropoff the battery died, alternator was a no go so they struggled to get my car started to get into the service bay. Dealership is about 3 miles away from my place.

DBConz 03-02-2020 09:19 AM

mine was $1200 as labor is $150/hour here. i was charged labor for the water pump and a new "gasket" for the oil pump i that i needed to do.

mine drives so much better as well. feels like a new car and i have 200k on mine