Now an MDX owner, looking for answers please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Now an MDX owner, looking for answers please

Hi everyone,

I just added a 2007 MDX to my garage and I have so many questions with some answers being scattered or conflicting entirely. I'm hoping some of the pros can help out or make suggestions. I'll be continuously searching (still) but maybe I can get a few of these questions out of the way or answered with certainty.

A short back story. I've been driving Hondas and Acuras from my first car on. We currently have a white 2004 RSX-S A-Spec, a black 2007 TL-S and now the silver 2007 MDX Tech+Sport+RES (I think). The previous family mobile was a Pilot that got drowned in a flash flooded parking lot last month and this was a nice move up in features compared to the Pilot.

The MDX has high miles (178k) but seems to be well cared for with many service records included or documented over the years. It came from the original owners (but through a dealership) as far as I can tell. There are a few things I want to fix and so here we are.

First question; it appears that I have all 3 options packages. On the original window sticker paperwork, it is listed as Sport with the breakdown of all the features. Is it pretty normal to have all 3 options packages? It has the navigation+els sound with remote lift gate. It has the rear dvd player and heated rear seats. It also has the sport/comfort switch. As an upgrade they also purchased the auto dimming mirror that came later.

#2) I have a damaged passenger side mirror. In my searches, I'm finding plenty of conflicting information on what mirrors I need. Some say don't get a 2007 mirror because not as many had the powered gate? Some say get the 2007 if it has Navi? Some say it's possible to put different mirrors on. I don't know what's actually true here. And if different mirrors (RDX/CL/??) do fit at all or not even close.

#3) The cruise control switch isn't working. It is the 'works if you hold it' situation. This isn't a big deal but while I'm here I'm wondering if anyone has replaced this. I don't find the part in the obvious search places. This leads me to believe it might be something more similar to a video I watched where you have to take apart the whole steering wheel and switch out the tiny component switch used. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate knowing the difficulty to get this apart or if it comes apart in sections like some Odyssey/Accord switches. Visually, I can't see that but I haven't yet started taking screws out.

#4) The hands free microphone doesn't work. I am assuming (being a TL owner), they removed or disconnected the HFT module for the battery drain thing. I am not too interested in using the hands free system but I am curious if anyone knows for sure of a good replacement solution. Would a newer HFT from a 2010-12+ Acura/Honda work, and if so, are they also prone to fail? I've read conflicting information about these part numbers not matching, being interchangeable, NOT being interchangeable, that newer HFTs were not affected by the solder issue and the exact opposite. I can solder and have a heat gun but I don't want to deal with it again when I get to fixing it, it possible.

#5) I have been thinking about adding in the BT45 Bluetooth module that ties into/overrides the XM radio. During my searches, I've found several cheaper versions of the same goal functionality. Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper versions of these Bluetooth modules?

#6) What would be your advice to someone who just purchased a 2007-2009 MDX? I have only had it for a few days. So far it has received new tires, alignment and an oil change. I'm planning to take it in for timing belt and water pump immediately as I can find no mention of that in their records. They seemed to be meticulous with everything and I hope that wasn't overlooked but I need the peace of mind anyway. What else should I know starting out? What should I make a point to check now or keep an eye on? I've read the radiators are trouble and I'm in Phoenix so I may swap that out after the timing belt and water pump are handled.

I really like this car and want it to last for another 187k. I enjoy driving it as much, or more than, my TL. I would really like to retrofit some power folding mirrors into it at some point but I could not find anything about MDX PFM. Any information about that would be cool.

And, sorry if it seems like I'm not searching enough. I think I oversearched and found too much misleading information to be confident with some things. As such, I shall continue my searches.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have. All are appreciated

Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
1.- The Sport Package was the TOP OF THE LINE which meant it carried all the packages thus you have a fully loaded MDX.
The Tech Package could add the RES Option and skip the Sport Package altogether (More on this later).

2.- Side Mirrors are identical among all packages.. The RES Adds: Power Tailgate, DVD Entertainment System, +120v outlet and Rear heated seats. Thus everything else in the car (Body Wise) is shared.

3.- First time I see this kind of damage, Although since all MDX had cruise control you could possibly salvage one from a wrecked MDX in a Junkyard.

4.- Cant really say, The HFL unit in the MDX is so outdated though IMO is not worth the hassle, When it works is pretty laggy and the promps are slow as hell.

5.- N/A

6.- You have the right pointers already, The Radiator is a big concern though as it can total the car if the ATF Leaks into the A/F.
My DIY for replacing the Radiator here: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...2g-mdx-966225/

Since you live in Phoenix you can also Add an ATF Cooler, The MDX already comes with one but you can By-pass the OEM ATF Warmer (In order to avoid future ATF-A/F Mix up) and install a secondary ATF Cooler to aid in such climate here is my DIY: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...2g-mdx-946052/

Now to add up, I really glad you are happy with your purchase but there is something you should really know..
Why most of us dont get the SPORT PACKAGE and that is mainly because those Electro-Magnetic Shocks.
Problem is only ACURA/HONDA makes them and they cost around 700 bucks a piece (Fronts) and 500 bucks a piece (Rears) so changing those shocks is really expensive and they dont last very long.
What you can do is swap the magnetic shocks for the base shocks (They ride so much better than Sports anyway) its not hard and has been discussed in the forum before. Other than that the Sport Package also adds Self-Leveling headlights that have their own independent set of parts for it (Leveling Arms in the Main Control Arms) which can go defective and be quite expensive to repair…

All in All the Sport Package is by far the worst package in the MDX Lineup as it add ups many unique pieces that dont last long and become a huge expense to the buyer..
The best Combo IMHO for reliability is TECH + RES and swap the SPORT Sway Bars since the Engine and Transmission is the same among all packages and the Sport Shocks are not that sporty anyway, The Base shocks are way better.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:42 PM

As a bonus you also got the very RARE Auto-Dimming Rear View mirror for your 2007...
More info here: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...y-07-a-960123/
Old 11-14-2018, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skirmich
As a bonus you also got the very RARE Auto-Dimming Rear View mirror for your 2007...
More info here: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...y-07-a-960123/
Haha. I thought it was strange that it was on the original paperwork as an upgrade. My TL has it and now I know even the previous MDX had it. Thanks for the link.

And thanks for the replies. I'm reading as much as I can and trying to weed out good or helpful info as I go. I think I talked myself out of getting the BT45 as we rarely use bluetooth for music and I can put that money toward a replacement HandsFree Module that will break again later, if I need it for calls. Although I'm not touching back on every point made, i do appreciate the reply. I checked online about suspension options. I read about the Strut Masters MDX kit. It's a reasonably low priced option but after watching some reviews videos on their build quality, it seems my best bet is to keep looking. Maybe I'll slowly start collecting base suspension. I don't know that anything is wrong with what I have but I do know that in enough time, it's certain.

This week I'll be installing an OEM (albeit from a TL) Aux port into the console. I've got the OEM port and I found out that Scosche makes a plug designed for Honda's 5pin aux for a perfect fit so I picked that up also. If anyone googling one day is doing hours of research looking for Honda/Acura OEM 5pin/3pin aux wiring, pigtail, pigtails, or harness, the Scosche part number is HXAAB. I found it buried deep in another forum and Amazon had 2 left. It's 5pin OEM style connector out to male RCAs. I will be combining this with the rear RCA inputs. Finding out which wires I'll need to tap might be annoying. I've found many wiring diagrams online but they're all thumbnails with dead links. I've considered soldering directly onto the red and white RCA board but I'll decide when I open it up.

The reason for doing this is the kids. It's a bad design if you have kids. They will undoubtedly not notice the Y-cable and break the RCAs off in that port. I'm avoiding that ahead of time. I might do a write-up on this project because I'm also adding an Aux volume booster. After checking dozens of different options and reading various pros and cons about doing that, I decided to go with the PHP Audio Sound Shocker Pro. I actually ordered the combo plate that comes with a basic edition and the Pro model together for $80 shipped. This option seems to be ideal since it works well across all devices/vehicles, frequencies, and doesn't require any batteries or power. It's passive. I will at least report back on how well that works in the MDX when I have it in hand.

The plan is to Dremel in the OEM aux port hole (undecided on location placement so far). Use the Scosche 5pin to RCA (HXAAB) to RCA female->3.5mm connector. 3.5mm to the Sound Pro thing input. 3.5mm->bare on the output. I may use the screw terminal type 3.5->bare adapters. That gives me a little more flexibility with how I hook it into the existing aux RCA wires at that point. I'm undecided if: I will keep the rear RCAs connected and tap the wires in the harness, de-pin the pins needed and plug them into the 3.5mm adapter terminal, or solder leads directly onto the rca board and keep them functional. The goal is good sound quality, equal loudness from aux, and working aux in console. Keeping the rear inputs functional is ideal but I likely won't use them and can always re-pin them if I sell the vehicle later. I'm trying to do it as clean and undamaging as possible, hence the adapters and such. If anyone has any suggestions on this project, please share.

Sorry for weird spelling or grammar problems. My phone's autocorrect doesn't like this text editor and changes things into double words a lot.

Custom volume boosted aux port for RES MDX project. This connector (Scosche HXAAB) matches Honda/Acura OEM Aux port. 5pin aux jack, 3 used pins. Details for Google searchers in the future.

Custom volume boosted aux port for RES MDX project, partial parts list. Combining with Scosche HXAAB, PHP Audio Sound Shocker Pro, OEM Honda Aux port/jack. Details for Google searchers in the future.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:52 AM

Yeah I saw the strut master video and its really sub-par quality... Your best bet will be swapping the BASE Suspension which is not super expensive, The front struts can be bought as a unit with the spring and the rears are easier since its only the strut. And talking about the Sport unique pieces? there is a recent thread in the MDXers.org forums about the Ride Height Sensors being broke in a 08 model: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...t-sensors.html

Yeah I find the Rear RCA AUX solution to be crippled as hell, I had some cheapo RCAs in there and one of my occupants slide into the other rear passenger seat and completely broke it off with his knee.. I remember a guy at MDXers.org that did solder a 3mm Female AUX into the RCA unit and put the cord inside the mid glove box which is convenient if you use the rear seats often.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

I just wanted to touch base here about the Sound Shocker Pro from PHPAudio to boost the Aux volume. It works good in the MDX (I have yet to test the TL but I don't expect any different results there). I talked with the owner Pete from PHP and he mentioned it may not work for 'active aux' but it seems to work the same thru the rear entertainment RCA aux as anywhere else.

It is noticeably louder. If someone needs a demonstration for some reason, I'll be happy to make one. I would estimate the loudness to be increased 2-3x with the Sound Shocker connected.

I looked through tons of reviews on small pre amp amps from eBay and amazon. Other forums led me to this device with good reviews. This saves the trouble of running power wires for those who aren't comfortable doing that. It doesn't use any batteries either. That's perfect for my goal of mounting it in-line under the center console.

If someone has the rear RCA/Audio panel pinout, I would really appreciate it. In any form really. I can find old dead links that I think were it but I can't be sure. Or if someone knows for sure what wires in the rear RCA panel are for the red and white RCAs, I would appreciate that information just the same.
​​​​​
Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just purchased a 2007 MDX with Tech and rear entertainment system.
So far, the DVD player puts a scratch on the DVD's inserted and won't read them.
The handsfree link won't work and cannot get it to hear me, so I'm guessing the same thing, the microphone may have been removed.
the CD changer is jammed and will not accept CDs. I was looking to just replace the entire unit but wanted to go up to the 2010 unit with USB and bluetooth for phone integration.
Does anyone know of anyone that has tried this or know of a way I can hack the wiring diagram to accept the 2010 unit in my 2007?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new to AcuraZine and not sure how to start a thread, but have a question about the 07 Acura MDX i just bought. It had a bad engine, so I bought a used 09 engine and swapped it out with the 07 engine that was in it. Switched the fuel injectors to the old 07 injectors. Got it all connected and it won't start. It acts like it is going to start, turns but doesn't start. Before the engine swap, it would just click. Any ideas or suggestions?