Noisy Power Steering After Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noisy Power Steering After Hose Replacement

2003 MDX Touring - I had the leaking high pressure hose replaced at a local garage and now I have a whining PS system. The tech said the noise will go away after driving for awhile, it did not whine prior as long as it had fluid. seeing lots of posts about O ring and air in the system. I plan on bringing the car back if the noise does not go away. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Old 04-07-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Is the hose OEM or not?
Most aftermarket Hoses DO NOT use the muffler inside the hose like the OEM does, They will all whine for ever.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Contsi
2003 MDX Touring - I had the leaking high pressure hose replaced at a local garage and now I have a whining PS system. The tech said the noise will go away after driving for awhile, it did not whine prior as long as it had fluid. seeing lots of posts about O ring and air in the system. I plan on bringing the car back if the noise does not go away. Any thoughts?

Thank you

is your oil bubbling in oil reservoir? Did it change color?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the reply.
I don't believe the hose is OEM, but you really can't use after market hoses?
Looking inside the reservoir I see the fluid swirling around, is this normal?
I don't see bubbles or suds like.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
You can use them, they will be noisy that´s all..
I heard from this from a hydro shop that rebuilds them, when mine went bad started leaking I want it to get it rebuild.. The clerk said to me that the part that was needing to replace was the part with the "muffler" he said that the hose will work fine just as stock but it will be noisy.

So I am not saying all aftermarket hoses don't have this "Muffler" but most likely they wont as the clerk said it was the most expensive part of the hose.. OEM Does have this but comes with the premium price tag.. I ended up buying OEM and there is no noise at all.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a noisy ps pump. I took to a local shop and they recommended to replace pump, hoses, and reservoir. I don't have any leaks but will check for air bubbles before getting a new one. Is it really necessary to replace hoses and reservoir if I don't have a leak? Can I just get new orings for the hoses and new pump?

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2018, 11:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the middle of this as well. A pronounced whine under the hood that fluctuates with engine RPM started over this past weekend. I am still unsure exactly where it is coming from, despite pulling the serpentine belt and manually turning all of the pulleys. I wish I'd started the engine when the serpentine belt was removed just to be absolutely sure it is a belt driven component but that thing was just so much fun to remove and reinstall I think I'll pass for now. Alternator is making the right amount of juice as tested with a voltmeter to the battery.
At any rate I have ordered the two O rings and 5 containers of genuine Honda power steering fluid. Plan is to replace the O rings, remove and replace the old fluid (it is a dark red) with new and to clean the reservoir filter. If that doesn't do it, I'll replace the power steering pump. I've had the car for a couple of months now and it suffers from the low speed lack of power assist, so I am thinking at a minimum it needs the fluid and O ring changes, and possibly a new pump. It would be a candidate for replacement under the TSB except the car is 10 years old and the TSB only extends out to seven years. Hoping this is the source of the noise and not the alternator but I honestly cannot hear where it is actually coming from. When I was under the hood screwing around over the weekend I did remove the idler/tensioner assembly, then removed cleaned and replaced the two pulleys but it made no improvement. Been loving this car until now.....
Old 08-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried getting a piece of hose and putting it up to your ear and the other end near the engine? Also turn on/off the A/C to see if the noise comes and goes.

I replaced the fluid and oring and it did not help my power steering pump. I will be replacing it soon.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghernz
Have you tried getting a piece of hose and putting it up to your ear and the other end near the engine? Also turn on/off the A/C to see if the noise comes and goes.

I replaced the fluid and oring and it did not help my power steering pump. I will be replacing it soon.
I haven't tried the hose trick, but at this point am almost 100% certain that the noise is coming from the power steering pump. I did turn on/off the A/C with no change. Fluid and O rings are ordered and will be delivered within the next couple of days. Will replace the O rings and do a fluid flush and see where we stand.