New 2012 Advance/Ent black on black (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by omnuts
Geat job, that's a nice addition.
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
where did you get you rear lower garnish ??
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joberube
where did you get you rear lower garnish ??

It's from Curry Acura in New York. Here's the ebay link for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Acura-M...01b1a4&vxp=mtr
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats! You will love both. I have an 08 Type S and the wife has an 07 MDX tech and enjoy both. Almost went black with the MDX to match my NBP type s but we did nimbus grey with taupe interior.
The following users liked this post:
SlimTL (02-18-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Nicely done, modding is fun and I never leave any of my cars stock

I like your LED running board idea - is there a reason why there is not much talk about the RDX, I know Acura had horrible sales for that car!

Two things I like with my SUV's are window visors and a bug deflector, are you planning those things?
SlimTL (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s4play
Nicely done, modding is fun and I never leave any of my cars stock

I like your LED running board idea - is there a reason why there is not much talk about the RDX, I know Acura had horrible sales for that car!

Two things I like with my SUV's are window visors and a bug deflector, are you planning those things?
Thanks. I totally agree with the modding. After a while, stock can seem boring.

Not too sure about the RDX. Most of us here got the MDX either for families, space, or to promote our active lifestyles (Or some other reason).
I got mine for family reasons without given up the luxury and sport side of driving. The clean looks of the MDX on the road and value also helped.

Compared to the RDX, a few thousand more dollars gets you into one of the nicest luxury SUVs on the market. While the RDX is nice, the market for smaller SUVs at that price point is pretty specific and is mainly based on the customers need, space, and money.

I'm not planning on the bug deflectors/visors mainly because I don't necessarily have a need for them. And seeing as though it's mainly my wife's daily, that's one addtion she doesn't want. I like them personally. As far as modding it, I have control over both cars, as long as it's tasteful.

Good luck with your MDX. Keep us posted as you fix her up. Maybe you might do something that no one has posted before.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Congrats! You will love both. I have an 08 Type S and the wife has an 07 MDX tech and enjoy both. Almost went black with the MDX to match my NBP type s but we did nimbus grey with taupe interior.
Thanks, that's a nice combo.

I love both. I've had the TL since '06 and will keep it until she's too tired to go any further. Same thing for the MDX.

Even if the new TL/MDX is a hit. I don't see the need to take a hit financially on a depreciating asset.

(That is until I take a test drive of the 3rd gen MDX or 5th gen TL). J/K
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool Update:

1) I completed the garnish package by installing the front portion. It was a pretty simple install.

2) Hardwired my radar detector and installed a blendmount to the rearview mirror

3) Installed a pair of footwell LEDs for the rear passengers (2nd row)

4) But, the latest major upgrade was the remote start. I finished it over the weekend. It was a pain in the ass because the space under the dash was so tight. But all in all, with a little patience, the install took a little over 4 hours. Removing the panels was the time consuming part. I have to take it to the dealer this week to link the remote.

I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance.

I recently had some major maintentance work on the TL, so the pockets are a little lite. But in time, I'll try to wrap up the remainder of the work to the MDX. I have one mod in mind that might surprise you guys.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Wow, nice update list..awaiting pics.
SlimTL (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love your X, I think it's time for me to start shopping for LED's!
SlimTL (04-28-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Update pics

Front Garnish

Added the cargo cover

2nd Row passenger footwell LED

Remote-Start and antennae

Blendmount and direct-wire Radar

The following 2 users liked this post by SlimTL:
F23A4 (10-08-2013), technocrat (12-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Radar direct-wire smart cord

Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Excellent work, looks great..planning to end the modding anytime soon lol
SlimTL (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by omnuts
Excellent work, looks great..planning to end the modding anytime soon lol
LOL.

Thanks, and hopefully I'll be done by July.

Just a few more minor mods left on the MDX. I just did a major tune-up (belts, tensioners, hoses, pumps, engine mounts, etc.) on the TL and now the transmission is on it's way out. So, more time will be focused on that car.

Long term goal is to use the TL as my daily, because it's a great car. The MDX as the luxury family hauler. And I'm currently saving up for a 2010 e60 M5 as my weekend toy.

One life to live my friend, one life to live
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Wow those rear foot well lights look good! I just picked up an MDX and started my modding process. Has anything more happened recently?

Also, how did you do the rear foot well lighting? Think you could compile a list of the components you used and how you mounted them?

Much thanks!
SlimTL (10-04-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Damn I step away for a min and the MDX looks even better and now you have a M5! WTH! LOL nice come up on the M5 Funny ive been looking at a 2011 M5 cause my buddy has been buggin me to sell him my TL and just like you the M5 is the ultimate family hauler except for the gas mileage! But how is the M5? Might have to bribe the wifey for one!
SlimTL (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ziggyh22
Damn I step away for a min and the MDX looks even better and now you have a M5! WTH! LOL nice come up on the M5 Funny ive been looking at a 2011 M5 cause my buddy has been buggin me to sell him my TL and just like you the M5 is the ultimate family hauler except for the gas mileage! But how is the M5? Might have to bribe the wifey for one!
Haha, thanks man. Yeah, the headaches with the TL were coming too fast and furious for me to handle. When one thing was fixed, something else came up. And I'm not talking minor issues. More like in the $1000s of dollars everytime. I couldn't take it anymore. The transmission was the final straw. The TL pretty much sat in the garage for a few months while I stretched the for repairs.

The M5 is a beast. It's on a whole other level that the TL couldn't touch, outside of the MPG. But that's a hit I was willing to take.
Most of the mods I added to the TL came standard on the M5 and then some. If you look two posts above, I originally wanted this as weekender, but things changed.

As far as the MDX is concerned. It's been involved in a couple fender benders that I had to fight with the other party's insurance over. The damage isn't obvious, but I know it's there. My wife isn't happy about it either, so I'll have to do a few minor changes. Gotta keep the spouse happy. After all, she agreed with my purchase.
At the end of August, we took it on a 900 mile road trip to Alabama for my buddy's wedding. The MDX was awesome. The adaptive cruise control is so worth the extra cash and the DVD screen kept the kids occupied. I must say, Acura made a great highway cruiser. I also got to test the SH-AWD on some of the hills in northern Alabama.

I'm assuming you meant 2012 M5's, since 2011 was skipped. If so, that's still the new body style with the V8, which makes it pretty pricey ($80,000+).
I really wanted the E60 M5 for that V-10 sound and endless pull in every gear!! It was so worth it.
If the TL is paid off, keep it if you can as a secondary daily driver. I loved my TL and would have kept it if it wasn't costing me so much out of warranty.

I'll update this thread soon with pics.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
Wow those rear foot well lights look good! I just picked up an MDX and started my modding process. Has anything more happened recently?

Also, how did you do the rear foot well lighting? Think you could compile a list of the components you used and how you mounted them?

Much thanks!
Nothing else has really changed.

The rear footwells were fairly simple. Believe it or not , but I bought a pair of LED light tubes from Walmart's auto department. I've had some (the 12" length) in my TL and they lasted the life of ownership. So, due to their reliability, I purchased the mini version of that LED bar for the MDX.

Install was easy. I cut a few slits in the bottom of the seat flap for zip ties to hold the LED tubes. And then, I ran the wire under the center console to the footwell LEDs on both the front passenger and driver's sides. I tapped into that connection for power only when the lights are own. Total install took about an hour because I wanted to do it right the first time and make it appear as OEM as possible.

If you need more details as you customize your MDX, let me know. Glad to share any info that I can.

Last edited by SlimTL; 10-05-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking Latest mod

More pics here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/added-4-more-cylinders-my-blown-tranny-tl-897410/
Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slim, Your LED mods are awesome..!!!
Just got my MDX today!! 2010 Tech with RES black/black.. whoohoo!!

Love all your LEDs... DRLs, Parking, reverse, license plate, rear trunk lid..etc..

Where did you get all the parts/bulbs #s? I was at VLEDS but was so lost on what are the buld numbers... Do you have a list of all the LEDs that you installed or where can I get one? Can't wait to get some LEDs on mine...

BTW, just bought the tri-fold trunk tray and woodgrain gear shifter
Old 10-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blitz960
Slim, Your LED mods are awesome..!!!
Just got my MDX today!! 2010 Tech with RES black/black.. whoohoo!!

Love all your LEDs... DRLs, Parking, reverse, license plate, rear trunk lid..etc..

Where did you get all the parts/bulbs #s? I was at VLEDS but was so lost on what are the buld numbers... Do you have a list of all the LEDs that you installed or where can I get one? Can't wait to get some LEDs on mine...

BTW, just bought the tri-fold trunk tray and woodgrain gear shifter
Thanks,

You can find the bulb numbers here:
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...el=1390&make=2

V-LEDS has a large variety of bulbs so just match the bulb numbers and take it from there.

Here's what I used:

Tailgate: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/194-168-15...led/flank.html

License Plates: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/194-168-15.../360/6-6k.html

Rear turn signal: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-...43-21-red.html

Front turn signal: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-...443-amber.html
and resistors: http://www.vleds.com/checkout/cart/

Front parking: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/194-168-15...360/10-6k.html

Front side marker: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/194-168-15...21-1-pair.html

Rear side marker: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/194-168-15...21-1-pair.html

DRL: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/9000-serie...45-1-pair.html

Fogs: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/h-series/6...11-1-pair.html

Backup: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/921-led/wh...79-1-pair.html

Interior footwell: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/3022-29mm-...3021-29mm.html
The following 3 users liked this post by SlimTL:
Corey_Straker (10-07-2013), Jotas (02-17-2014), nats007 (12-01-2014)
Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an awesome list!!! SHould be in a sticky so that everyone can see it.. Thanks!!

Question, I know you double-taped the so-called built in resistors for the DRLs ...
And they tend to get really hot... In your opinion, would it get too hot that it'd melt the double-sided tape and fall off or worse, cause a fire hazard? Coz the DRLs are on all the time..
I'm really digging your DRLs mods but that's the only thing that I'm apprehensive about... Maybe I'm just worried over nothing..like I always am.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blitz960
That's an awesome list!!! SHould be in a sticky so that everyone can see it.. Thanks!!

Question, I know you double-taped the so-called built in resistors for the DRLs ...
And they tend to get really hot... In your opinion, would it get too hot that it'd melt the double-sided tape and fall off or worse, cause a fire hazard? Coz the DRLs are on all the time..
I'm really digging your DRLs mods but that's the only thing that I'm apprehensive about... Maybe I'm just worried over nothing..like I always am.
The resistors are on the turn signal connection located in the engine bay. I have aluminum plates attached to my resistors to help with the heat spread. The DRL's I have, didn't need resistors. They were a direct swap from the stock filament bulbs.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like I'll be buying some lights pretty soon. Nice work
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Why me??

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Few questions for ya...

Why did you do some 5k and 6k led's?

If installing the lower garnish and back up sensors, would you recommend doing both at the same time?

Can you take pics of the resistors for the DRL? Also pics of the front entry lights at night? edit: pic of entry footwell at night with door open

Last edited by mikedog4; 12-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikedog4
Looks fantastic!
Thanks!

Few questions for ya...

Why did you do some 5k and 6k led's?

If installing the lower garnish and back up sensors, would you recommend doing both at the same time?

Can you take pics of the resistors for the DRL? Also pics of the front entry lights at night? edit: pic of entry footwell at night with door open
I used 5k LEDS (bright white) if I needed the bulbs for functional puposes and 6k LEDS for cosmetic purposes, like being seen but not needing it to see. (Hope that makes sense).

If you plan on installing the backup sensors along with the lower garnish, by all means do it at the same time because the bumper will be off the MDX. Makes access and ease of install a lot easier. Just remember, that this will add to the labor time, so a few extra hours to focus on both is needed. Just focus on one first before tackling the other. I'd say take a day to complete both if you plan on going that route.

I have resistors for the turn signals. I didn't use resistors for the DRL's and have had no issues.

Requested pics coming soon. . .
mikedog4 (12-27-2013)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Why me??

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Still trying to get some bulbs ordered per the links you posted but they are still on back order.

I have now a mini warehouse of accessories piling up in the garage. The weather has been terrible this winter here so it all has to wait till spring. ( if I even have time then due to my umpiring schedule)

I have at the moment: back up sensors, rear garnish, fenderwell trim, wood grain wheel, silver crossbars (good deal on CL for them I couldn't pass up even though I don't have the rails yet)

Already installed wood knob, cargo net/ cover.

Purchased with sport running boards, trifold cargo tray and remote start.
Too bad this is my wife's daily and not mine. I really like this vehicle.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedog4
Still trying to get some bulbs ordered per the links you posted but they are still on back order.

I have now a mini warehouse of accessories piling up in the garage. The weather has been terrible this winter here so it all has to wait till spring. ( if I even have time then due to my umpiring schedule)

I have at the moment: back up sensors, rear garnish, fenderwell trim, wood grain wheel, silver crossbars (good deal on CL for them I couldn't pass up even though I don't have the rails yet)

Already installed wood knob, cargo net/ cover.

Purchased with sport running boards, trifold cargo tray and remote start.
Too bad this is my wife's daily and not mine. I really like this vehicle.
Im in the same boat. Two set of lights on backorder and 2 sets of headlight bulbs I cant put in since its been so cold. Id be happy just to clean the damn all weather mats but that hasnt worked out either.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noice.
This is the first mod I want to do besides floor liners. Great pics and info. Very tasteful and I will follow it almost to the same direction but I wont be getting the running boards.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Haven't been on here in a while. I hope that I've helped out some members with my thread. I still have a few more mods. I scrapped the roof rail bike idea. I'm hoping to install in a satellite antennae to use with the TV tuner to get better reception.Thinking about going for the trailer hitch option. I recently saw a refreshed 2G MDX with the rear garnish installed that had the hitch attached. I've always wanted to install the hitch with the garnish and I might have pull the trigger this spring.

But first, I'll have to do some routine maintenance this weekend. Brakes are shot, so I'll have to install some pads soon. And tires next month.

No other mods have been performed since my last posting. Waiting for my other ride to come from the shop before I start modding again.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
^I've always admired your MDX and all the mods/work you put into it. Still sucks to hear about your TL.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX_831
^I've always admired your MDX and all the mods/work you put into it. Still sucks to hear about your TL.
Thanks! The MDX is such a well built vehicle. It's fancy without trying to be fancy. Like a beautiful woman that's confident without being stuck up.

Yeah, I miss the TL so bad. I put a lot of work into, but sometimes you just have to lay something you love out to pasture. One of my neighbors has a Type-S and it's bittersweet every time I see him drive out. The 3G was one of the best sedans Acura has made.

However, I think my TL replacement is a worthy successor.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Sir,

First off, beautiful MDX! I'm currently looking for a 2010-2013 CPO MDX Tech or Adv to replace my wife's 2000 TL. I'm leaning to 2012-2013, so I wanted to ask if there was anything major w.r.t. repairs you had since owning your '12 MDX Adv?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nats007
Sir,

First off, beautiful MDX! I'm currently looking for a 2010-2013 CPO MDX Tech or Adv to replace my wife's 2000 TL. I'm leaning to 2012-2013, so I wanted to ask if there was anything major w.r.t. repairs you had since owning your '12 MDX Adv?
Thanks for the compliment. So far, the X has been solid. Currently at 42,000 miles with zero issues. The only thing that I've done recently is change the front brake pads. Then you have the routine maintenance items like oil changes and filters, and the differential fluid for the AWD. I'm still on the factory tires, which are due to be replaced in the next 5,000-10,000 miles.

The only difference between the '12 and '13 MDXs that I believe is the navigation locks out on the 13's while the car shifts from P. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was something that Acura had to do due to new laws. Other than that, no other changes come to mind.

Typical Acura reliability: oil and tires and some fluid refills.
Plan is to keep this vehicle for 10+ years.

Last edited by SlimTL; 12-01-2014 at 01:24 PM.
nats007 (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
Thanks for the compliment. So far, the X has been solid. Currently at 42,000 miles with zero issues. The only thing that I've done recently is change the front brake pads. Then you have the routine maintenance items like oil changes and filters, and the differential fluid for the AWD. I'm still on the factory tires, which are due to be replaced in the next 5,000-10,000 miles.

The only difference between the '12 and '13 MDXs that I believe is the navigation locks out on the 13's while the car shifts from P. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was something that Acura had to do due to new laws. Other than that, no other changes come to mind.

Typical Acura reliability: oil and tires and some fluid refills.
Plan is to keep this vehicle for 10+ years.
Excellent news. Thank you, Sir!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Originally Posted by SlimTL
Thanks! The MDX is such a well built vehicle. It's fancy without trying to be fancy. Like a beautiful woman that's confident without being stuck up.

Yeah, I miss the TL so bad. I put a lot of work into, but sometimes you just have to lay something you love out to pasture. One of my neighbors has a Type-S and it's bittersweet every time I see him drive out. The 3G was one of the best sedans Acura has made.

However, I think my TL replacement is a worthy successor.
I must agree -- your TL replacement is pretty sweet.
You must do weekly detailing for each of your vehicles? Black cars are sexy, especially when kept clean... but the OCD in me could never live with a black car. LOL.

You're at 42k with your 2012? I'm nearing 20k on my '12 MDX Tech.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nats007
Excellent news. Thank you, Sir!
Anytime. Good luck with your search.

I must agree -- your TL replacement is pretty sweet.
You must do weekly detailing for each of your vehicles? Black cars are sexy, especially when kept clean... but the OCD in me could never live with a black car. LOL.

You're at 42k with your 2012? I'm nearing 20k on my '12 MDX Tech.
Thanks.

I have undiagnosed OCD, according to webmd.com J/K.
I have a pretty strict ritual to keep both rides clean. I hand wash at least once a week. And for the days when dust is my enemy, I take it to a local drive-thru touchless car wash, because technically, it's still clean beneath all that dust.

But yeah, the X is our main weekend vehicle and the road trip go-to. Been on the interstate at least 20 times since purchase. It doesn't help that my wife works 30 miles from home either. But, I must say, I'm pretty impressed with it. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I wish we could go back to 20k.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

^ Ha-ha! Undiagnosed OCD! One of the reasons why I went with a lighter color is due to the fact that it's harder to see scratches/swirl marks and the DUST...

Yeah, just 20k on my X for now. It is used similarly as yours - for long drives. Gas mileage is pretty good on long drives, but the stop and go... Forget about it. Haha.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Ha-ha! Undiagnosed OCD! One of the reasons why I went with a lighter color is due to the fact that it's harder to see scratches/swirl marks and the DUST...

Yeah, just 20k on my X for now. It is used similarly as yours - for long drives. Gas mileage is pretty good on long drives, but the stop and go... Forget about it. Haha.
Silver would have been another good choice too. I do notice all the swirls and scratches on ours. It gets annoying sometimes, but man o man when she is clean . . .

I agree on the city driving. Gas mileage is pretty poor with the stop and go, but the amenities inside make it seem so much more bearable. It's a good thing that gas prices are dropping right now.

Good luck with yours. Now's a good time to add more miles.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

If the swirls/scratches didn't bother me so much, I would've ended up with a black or dark grey MDX.

Yes, gas prices! I'm in Cali, so premium is at $3.16 as of this morning. I still recall having to pay $4.89/gallon!

BTW, how are your LED's holding up?

Quick Reply: New 2012 Advance/Ent black on black (pics)