Need replacement windshield-anything to know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:46 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Need replacement windshield-anything to know?

On the interstate the other day and something hit the lower windshield hard. Didn't see any cracks then, but after the vehicle sat out in the hot sun, it cracked from top to bottom and is spreading.
So, new windshield time. My insurance Comp deducible is $250, so that won't help.

I got a quote of $175+tax from a discount place I have used several times with good results. They asked if it had auto dimming rear view mirror. I said it did. Then I stated I only wanted an OEM quality replacement, and they assured me it would be OEM equivalent. Then I got to thinking-don't all 08 MDXs have auto-dimming rearview mirrors? And shouldn't they KNOW that already?

I also got a quote from Safelite of around $200 + tax and they assured me it would be OEM equivalent. They asked the same question about the rearview mirror.
Would you guys save the $25 bucks & go to the discount place, or spend the extra to go with Safelite, which I think I trust more?
Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Just make sure the aftermarket windshield is also Laminated for Sound like the OEM when I had to replace mine there were suspiciously cheap replacements when I did the reasearch I found out that the front windshield has a special lamination to reduce road noise. The cheap replacements didn't have it. There was a 100-150dlls difference between them.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:16 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
yeah, Safelite specifically said theirs had the acoustic laminated layer while the discount place only said it would be exactly equivalent to the OEM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Then you are set!
You could also for piece of mind get the rubber trim piece between the windshield and the roof line, Mine had dry and cracked so I had it replaced with the windshield.. It was cheap around 20-25 bucks or so.