MDX J-Pipe Interest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
MDX J-Pipe Interest?

I didn't even realize that we added on a MDX section. Great stuff!

Anyway, a few MDX members from the other boards have e-mailed me asking if the J-Pipe was interchangeable, since from the pictures of it, it looks like it may be a close enough fit to do away with minor modifications or none at all.

Here is a diagram of the stock MDX exhaust section.

Note the MDX (1st picture) J-Pipe (1st exhaust article from engine-back), in comparison to the TL J-Pipe (2nd picture).

Here is a picture I was sent from Chris of the factory MDX J-Pipe.

And this is our current one for the TL.

To read up more on the J-Pipe...click here

I'm curious.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Wow this looks promising!

Has anyone actually test fitted this piece on an MDX? Would this be for the 1st or 2nd gen?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for getting my pics up of the downpipe....sorry I've not been able to test fit the downpipe.....wife is due any day now with our first child....so no new projects for a few weeks for me (unless I feel lucky...punk)

I hope someone jumps on one of these.....I believe Mike that your test pipe will work with the rear/secondary cat to delete it.....from my measurements they are the same.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
aznbo, if you have one in stock I can give buy it and see if it works on the MDX, if not, I can always put it on the TL.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmeance
aznbo, if you have one in stock I can give buy it and see if it works on the MDX, if not, I can always put it on the TL.
We can do that. They should be in stock in about a month.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aznbo187
We can do that. They should be in stock in about a month.
I'll be ready
Old 09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

Any word yet if the TL J-Pipe fits on the MDX? I am ready to buy if it does.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

I'd be down for one. It would compliment my catback nicely.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 AM
10th Gear

After looking at both my TL and MDX, it's doen't look like a TL J (aftermarket or OEM) pipe will fit a MDX. If somone makes a J pipe specifically for the MDX, I will be the first in line to buy one. Otherwise, I am thinking about having a local guy who builds stainless steel turbo headers build a SS J pipe for my MDX.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Intermediate

Mike is sending me the J-Pipe for trial to see if it fits.I will dyno bone stock.
If it fits I will redyno to see the gains.Should be on next week.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 09MDX
Mike is sending me the J-Pipe for trial to see if it fits.I will dyno bone stock.

Good luck bro. Keep us posted. I'll sign up for one if they do fit without rubbing anything.
Greg
Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

After taking those photos and some measurements I'm pretty sure that it will fit, but let me know.....I'm back in the market now....if it does I will take one.

Also, on a performance note has anyone looked at how restrictive the 08-09 factory air box is...I put a K&N in mine and plan on doing some cutting on that box next weekend. It only pulls air thru an area about 3.5" in the middle of the box. Need to cut out the two panels inside to create more reserve volume inside the box....nice for VTEC.

Chris
Old 11-14-2008, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by pinnaclecustoms
After taking those photos and some measurements I'm pretty sure that it will fit, but let me know.....I'm back in the market now....if it does I will take one.
Chris
I hope you're correct, but I looked under the wifey's TL and my MDX and I don't see how it could fit both. Hope the heck I am wrong, because I surely would like to have one on the MDX.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Awesome, looking forward to the results.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Also, on a performance note has anyone looked at how restrictive the 08-09 factory air box is...I put a K&N in mine and plan on doing some cutting on that box next weekend. It only pulls air thru an area about 3.5" in the middle of the box. Need to cut out the two panels inside to create more reserve volume inside the box....nice for VTEC.

Chris
The base dyno run should be interesting... (hopefully) if the J- pipe fits the chart will tell it all.Yes chris that airbox is massive.I can remember Hondata had reccomended bypassing coolant lines on T/B and while I'm on the dyno mabye I'll slap in a K&N and make a pull to compare to stock filter.
Did you notice any change with the K&N in throttle response? or anything.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:42 AM
10th Gear

Is there a way to turn off the SHAWD so you can dyno an MDX or is there a 4 wheel drive dyno out there?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fastnuf
Is there a way to turn off the SHAWD so you can dyno an MDX or is there a 4 wheel drive dyno out there?
Yes the dyno is All wheel drive dyno.Has anyone dynoed a MDX??? I haven't found any yet?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I have never seen/heard anyone dyno an MDX. If you do see if you can take a video. That would def be cool.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
I have never seen/heard anyone dyno an MDX. If you do see if you can take a video. That would def be cool.
Yes I will get video to.After I dyno I will pull pop off the bottom half of the air box to see how much restriction the resonator is,and make another pull.I really want this J-PIPe to FIT!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Fastnuf
only 1 way to turn of SH-AWD, disconnect the rear driveshaft like hondata did. there are 4 wheel dynos:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xaREa4bJTDo
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W4DMdLLyFrM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwvwJcAWME
Old 11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

I did notice a difference....small.....with the K&N filter. When you pull the top on the air box you will see what I mean about the restriction. Its in the box....a channel that runs throught the middle to get air to the throttle body. It is only about 3.5 inches wide where as the box is about 8x10.

The cold air part of the box coming from the bumper is perfect...large and free flowing....but I am going to cut out the channels inside the box.

I think it would not really make much power but only to build throttle response.

Just my 2 cents,
Chris
Old 11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

I did notice a difference....small.....with the K&N filter. When you pull the top on the air box you will see what I mean about the restriction. Its in the box....a channel that runs throught the middle to get air to the throttle body. It is only about 3.5 inches wide where as the box is about 8x10.

The cold air part of the box coming from the bumper is perfect...large and free flowing....but I am going to cut out the channels inside the box.

I think it would not really make much power but only to build throttle response.

Just my 2 cents,
Chris
Thanks for the K&N info just was thinking of ways to test different things while I was on dyno with the intake to see if there is any difference while making pulls.Of course the first test being stock pull then J-pipe.We are also going to make video of the runs to should be fun.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^ definitely post that up
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Intermediate

Spoke with mike last night and I still don't have tracking number???,hope I get it this week I reserved the lift and dyno for Saturday.I should also have the K&N filter to test also to see if it does anything at all compared to stock filter.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

Chris
Yes I opened up the air box today and I can see the panels inside the box your talking about.
I have also picked up a K&N filter so I can swap em on the dyno to see if it does anything at all.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Nice Evo you have there have you been by ICS lately?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nice Evo you have there have you been by ICS lately?
I swung by once, but no more Evo
Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

I swung by once, but no more Evo
Check out my no more evo also, knew we had something in common LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QB0x...eature=related

George from ICS loved it so much he ended up buying it from me.2488 pounds 747 whp.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

So the dyno today was great they posted up the video and it was deleted??
We made a base line run stock....took a few times to get it with the traction control and sport shift in third gear.Then we dropped in the K&N filter and it gained 3.5 hp and 3-4 TQ all the way on a hot pass(intake manifold was hot) on the dyno pull.Pete will probably post up the dyno sheet stock and the K&N drop in run.
The J-PIPE was another story it did not fit.The hanger was hitting the driveshaft and then when that was removed,the pipe was up against the transfercase.
I am having a custom exhaust made a real duel exhaust setup and then back to the dyno.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

so just with a simple drop in k&n air filter you gained those power numbers? no modifications to the stock set up? wow im pleasantly suprised! also if it was done on a hot pass does that mean those numbers are conservative?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sblue
so just with a simple drop in k&n air filter you gained those power numbers? no modifications to the stock set up? wow im pleasantly suprised! also if it was done on a hot pass does that mean those numbers are conservative?
Yes it was just a filter swap and the intake manifold was kinda hot.We did not modify anything bone stock 09 MDX made the pull,swapped the filter and it gained across the board 3+ hp 3+ torque yes to say it's conservative because we tried a few pulls to get the sportshift mode right.Pete has the graph and video but it was pulled off the site.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

That thread was deleted due to a violation of the rules on this site. Feel free to post the video and graph in this thread. Thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

So the dyno today was great they posted up the video and it was deleted??
We made a base line run stock....took a few times to get it with the traction control and sport shift in third gear.Then we dropped in the K&N filter and it gained 3.5 hp and 3-4 TQ all the way on a hot pass(intake manifold was hot) on the dyno pull.Pete will probably post up the dyno sheet stock and the K&N drop in run.
The J-PIPE was another story it did not fit.The hanger was hitting the driveshaft and then when that was removed,the pipe was up against the transfercase.
I am having a custom exhaust made a real duel exhaust setup and then back to the dyno.
did you contact mike to see if he could change up the J pipe to make it fit?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmeance
did you contact mike to see if he could change up the J pipe to make it fit?
Peter did contact me.

At this point, it would require a whole new jig for the J-pipe, as the changes will exceed the current jig.

So this boils it down again to amount of people interested in this product.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Dyno results with K&N drop in filter

The red color is our base run, The green is with the drop in filter.
The straight line is whp and the dotted line is wtq
This is a Dyno Dynamics Dyno, add about 15% more for a dyno jet number !

Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Custom MDX Exhaust

Here are some pictures Peter, his friend, and I took tonight of Peter's Acura MDX at my shop. Peter noted that he was going to add "high flow" resonators and mufflers, and that is exactly what he did. We will have more dyno testing done this weekend. Here are some pictures of this beautiful custom exhaust.Remember that the car was dyno tested with the custom downpipe and x-pipe. We will be testing the high flow resonators and mufflers.

Here is the custom downpipe that will connect with a very nice X pipe.

Top notch welds.......

True dual exhaust running into high flow resonators.

High flow resonators with heavy duty thick hangers for extra strength.

Another shot of the thick hangers used. This one to support one of the high flow mufflers.

Oval blended tips with a nice touch. 110% better looking than stock.

Like I stated above, we will have dyno results for everyone this weekend. Peter and I are excited to do some real world testing on the first full true dual exhaust!

Please do not mind some of the pictures as they came out a little blury. I can garuntee the dyno sheets will be perfect! Stay tuned as we will be making a video of this next dyno session!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow very impressive!! How hard would it be to do this for a 1st Gen MDX?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Intermediate

Wow very impressive!! How hard would it be to do this for a 1st Gen MDX?
Thank you! Yes it is very nice and I am very excited to get back to the dyno.
I will again see what the gains are with the K&N filter and the stock filter,back to back runs.
The answer to your question is yes it can be easily done on your 1st Gen MDX.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

How does it sound?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

How does it sound?
The sound is very deep tone.At cruising 70 mph on highway it is barely noticeable.This duel exhaust sound is really nice with the magnaflow resenators and magnaflow mufflers.The dyno on Saturday will have video to so you can hear it.It is nothing like the TL's exhaust with the 2-into-1 into-2 configuration.I have installed a few on TL's.

Quick Reply: MDX J-Pipe Interest?